Thread: Future of the Kinect??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Blog Entries

Future of the Kinect??

Freakin Cool!

Ever since Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) new Kinect motion controller for the Xbox 360 launched in November, we've seen gamers put it to use as everything from an artistic creation tool to an environmentallyaware hovercraft. However, this latest hack may just take the cake.

There's a Japanese website called V-Sido, which lets users connect a robot to an online interface and then control the robot from the Web. This latest Kinect hacker has managed to use the Xbox motion camera as a means of sending data to V-Sido, effectively mirroring human movement onto real-life robots.

While the application itself may not provide a whole lot of substance other than being a really cool tech demo, it is perhaps the most defining example yet of how wide-reaching the technology behind Kinect can be. After just a couple of months of user experimentation, it's clear there's no end in sight to the number of possibilities Kinect has. There's even a website, KinectHacks.net, devoted exclusively to the subject.

Commercial Applications Ahead?

Not all observers are impressed. Kinect hacking isn't anything to write home about, according to NPD analyst David Riley.

"Similar hacking was taking place with the Wii's controller. It's not unusual," he told TechNewsWorld.

Others, however, see the Kinect hacking trend as a testament to Microsoft's shepherding of the accessory's launch, with nothing but positive results for the company.

"I think Microsoft should definitely embrace all creative uses of the Kinect," said David Cole, president of DFC Intelligence.

"A big part of what makes that type of technology exciting is when it becomes a tool for users to get creative and use their imagination. It creates a new sense of excitement about the product," he explained.

"Of course, most of these uses are not commercially viable," noted Cole. "However, I would expect that Microsoft may look to its users to do creative hacks that might somehow be developed into a commercial application."

Redmond's Turnabout

Microsoft is indeed embracing it -- however, it wasn't always that way. The software giant originally stomped all over the idea, saying in no uncertain terms, "Microsoft does not condone the modification of its products."

Just days later, though, after Kinect hacks began to burn through the blogosphere, the company changed its tune.

"I'm very excited to see that people are so inspired that it was less than a week after the Kinect came out before they they had started creating and thinking about what they could do," said Microsoft Game Studios manager Shannon Loftis in the wake of the flood of Kinect hacking news.

Microsoft is looking to Kinect as the big refresh button for its Xbox 360 platform. After spending more to market the device than it has ever spent for any Xbox product launch in its history, it needs people to be excited about Kinect -- and what better way to show excitement than to spend hours toiling away with imaginative new uses for it?

Did I come off like a jerk?? Read more here

[/spoiler]

2. 1 User Says Thank You Shift_Lock For This Useful Post

WiiHacks Staff

Virtual Welcome Agent
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    nice!

msg too short

<--suggestions helped? press Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How freakin cool would it be to make a few little fighting robots?? You could make em battle each other.. like a futuristic "battle bots" arena! lol! Take the Game off the screen and into real life!

**Edit:
    As far as play atleast.. lol but the bigger picture is that the possibilities for use is almost endless..

[/spoiler]

WiiHacks Staff

Virtual Welcome Agent
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    i am thinking of having some buttons or a joystick to steer that thing through the house or let it walk by detecting the leg movement properly, mount a camera on it as well and you are your own housemaid-slave-robot

<--suggestions helped? press Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    lol or use it to walk the dog.

[/spoiler]