Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox RRoD just sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 857 Posts
    Blog Entries

Xbox RRoD just sometimes.

I have been tinkering with an Xbox 360 for a friend of mine after he brought it to me with RRoD. After a failed attempt to reflow we decided to buy a new mobo and drive from eBay. When I first tried it out I got continuous RRoD's. I noticed that the power supply wasn't turning on as the light was staying orange. I'm not sure what I did but I finally got the PS to turn on but still got a RRoD. I would see the screen turn black as if it was loading video (and at times see a quick glimpse of the loading screen) but then..... RRoD. After hitting the power button enough times, it finally powered up and seemed to run OK. But here's the kicker..... If I leave it powered down for a while, I get the RRoD again but the PS is turning on. Something else that is strange is I get the RRoD when I turn the system off at times. I'm hopping that this is just a power supply problem as I have one on order but we will see (ordered when I couldn't get it to turn on). Do any of you have any ideas??

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 3,618 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My G/F's cousin's XBox is still here (yeah, I'm slow returning it --- but that's because he got a new one for X-Mas). When you initially power it up, either it gives no video/3 RROD (shutting it off and then right back on gives me the 2nd result here->) or it gives video/3 RROD but works.

After it runs for several minutes, if I power it down and then back on, the 3 RROD disappear. I suspect heat-related (both as to cause and as to solution). I used those bolts/nuts/metal and plastic washers and removed the clamps (yes, overheating it purposefully as per directions right before cranking it down tight), but it had no effect.

Thanks
    After reading countless threads on many, many forums, I have to say it..Please stop overheating your Xbox. The only "real" fix for the RROD problems are either a reflow of the chips (professional) or a complete reball of one or more of the chips.

Reflows only costs around $30-$40, and reballs are anywhere from $50-$100 depending on the shop you deal with and most if not all reputable repair shops give you some sort of warranty.

Dports.me The Console Repair Experts is awesome. (sorry if the link isn't allowed). They offered to reball two consoles for me for $90 and that included return shipping.

Even if the replacement x clamp fix works, odds are, the RROD will return.
    Last edited by CompletelyBefuddled; 01-20-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: fixed link

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 3,618 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyBefuddled View Post
    xxx.deports.me is awesome. (sorry if the link isn't allowed). They offered to reball two consoles for me for $90 and that included return shipping.
    Is that even a real link? LOL... didn't work for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    Is that even a real link? LOL... didn't work for me.
    Link fixed above.

6. 1 User Says Thank You CompletelyBefuddled For This Useful Post

Thanks
    Firstly, how did you guys do the reflow?

Secondly, have you both checked your fans? Are they free from dust/debris?

When you do the reflow and decide to use the bolts n washers ( i always replace xclamps) make sure not to over tightnen the bolts and also to use Arctic Silver thermal compound- well worth the extra pennies.

Failing that a reball is the next step but is probably cheaper to buy another second hand 360.

CC

If I've helped please click the THANKS tab!

Ciosx rev19 base ios57, Hermes v5, Wiimc on 202, Neogamma R9b8

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

dogeggs 3.1-4.1/Shadowsonics 4.2/Error Index/SysCheck 1.61

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The board that I tried to reflow failed only because of user error on my part so I bought this one that was supposed to be working.

I just don't get why it red rings when it's cold. It seams that after it heats up just barely (not enough to be a cold solder joint IMO) by hitting the power button a few times it will boot up and run fine. The other odd thing is, sometimes when I power it down it will red ring.

I thought at first it was a power supply problem because it would not power on at all (light orange). I called tech support and they told me since the PS was not coming on it had to be faulty and I should replace it. Sometime/somehow after that the power supply started powering up but.... well.... the RRoD problem. I looked up the secondary error code and it is "E12: Possibly a problem with temperature control"??

I emailed the supplier of the board and he is asking for the serial number so I am assuming he is going to help me get through this. I am hopping it is a PS problem as I have one on order and that will be the quickest fix.

Thanks
    good luck krafter, it does sound to me like a cold solder joint... but then again, I'm no expert on fixing these. But why the rrod on power down??
    I'm waiting on the screws and washers, then I got 2 to work on
    See the Thanks button over there?
    <================================= Click it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have been tinkering with electronics for years and I am very hesitant on calling it a cold solder joint just because the heat sync is barely, and I mean barley heating up when it decides to work. I may just put a temp probe on it tonight but if I was to guess it's not heating up more the 90 degrees F. It's just barely warm to the touch. I would think it would have to get hotter then that to be a cold solder joint but I honestly don't know. I guess I will find out for sure when the new PS comes in.

Thanks
    If its rrod then i would deffinately give it a reflow m8, as for the PSu can you not borrow one for testing purposes before commiting to buy one.

Normally when the PSU goes bad the orange light turns Red.

Have you also checked the board for any abnormalities?

CC

If I've helped please click the THANKS tab!

Ciosx rev19 base ios57, Hermes v5, Wiimc on 202, Neogamma R9b8

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

dogeggs 3.1-4.1/Shadowsonics 4.2/Error Index/SysCheck 1.61

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast