Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An X-Box 360 I'm Working On (Opinions)

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,332 Times in 3,633 Posts
    Blog Entries

An X-Box 360 I'm Working On (Opinions)

My girlfriend's cousin's Wii landed at my doorstep the other day. This XBox 360 was manufactured in September, 2007. His DVD drive no longer would function correctly. It wouldn't read or eject or anything. Also, his unit a lot of the time would manifest the 3 RROD (not 4). And his exhaust fans were noisy as a freight train.

First thing I did was ordered another drive (Benq VAD6038 drive installed; got the same one via Flea Bay). QQ: I don't have the power adapter etc to attach this to my desktop; is it my understanding if the PCB is good on the bad drive, the simplest solution would be a swapout to avoid flashing? Here's crossing my fingers the PCB isn't toast...

Next I ordered a replacement exhaust fan (stock, not an after-market "better than stock"). I also ordered the X-Clamp hardware (8 exact fit screws, 16 exact fit nylon washers, 16 exact fit steel/zinc plated washers). Would this likely clear up the 3 RROD issue, or is this just hype and wishful thinking?

I know the Wii in depth (am a regular contributor here on wiihacks in that section), but admittedly a newbie @ X-Box 360 stuff. Essentially I'm doing this as an experiment and obviously because of the extended family angle.

Thanks
    Since the dvd drive doesn't eject or read discs, it sounds like that isn't working. Replacing the drive does sound like it'll work.
    I read that you also need some thermal compound along with the screws and washers etc for the X clamp fix.
    I sorta looked into fixing the RROD, but my first (and only) try at fixing them (which I didn't really try hard at it), didn't work. I just sold it and moved on.

Just my two cents
    See the Thanks button over there?
    <================================= Click it

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Intially, I got the eject issue resolved (took off the rubber band drive belt and cleaned it). It still would not detect a disc inserted in it (Black Ops, lol --- that title that has me eternally at war with users on this forum; it just happened to be what he sent with it). When I did a full tear down though, I got the E64 error (which I think related to an improper load/eject); I was gonna get to the laser and isopropyl it but then, didn't see the point lol. Then the eject or load wouldn't respond and IDK why, lol. I consider myself above-average in terms of mechanically inclined; likely this is again relating to the pre-existing condition.

Yeah, I always keep a tube of Artic Silver around, that part I'm good to go on with regard to the supposed cure of the 3 RROD light issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 857 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have attempted to fix one RRoD without success by simply replacing the X clamps with a repair kit. It worked for a short time and went right back into the RRoD. I believe they can be fixed but I'm not sure if you could fix one by just installing the kit and let the Xbox overheat to reflow the chips but it's worth a shot.

On a side note (and I let you know how it goes), I have a second Xbox that I am attempting to fix for a co-worker here in the next couple of days. I have the kit and it is tore apart I just need to do the reflow. This time I am going to modify this method and see how it goes.
    YouTube - XBox 360 GPU permanent reflow
    (the video buffers realy slow)

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I did a reflow job on a DV-9205 laptop that lasted for like two days. From what has been said, when traditional lead has been... "banned" from use on laptops and other electronics, the inferior substitute causes these problems to manifest. Apparently there's no real substitute for lead lol. Perhaps the X Clamps would be better as a preventative rather than curative at best. Still... it's an experiment and I do love the challenge. I lack the serious equipment needed to do a reflow correct --- and let's not even get into reballing lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 857 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with the Xbox is a bad design to begin with. Microsoft tried to jam everything in the smallest case possible and provided very little cooling. When it heats up, the mobo warps and eventually breaks the solder joints on the GPU. So in order to get a permanent fix you have to do a good reflow and clamp the heat syncs down better then what the come stock with while allowing the mobo to still flex. That is the theory behind the repair kit (screws and nylon washers). You can get high velocity replacement fans for them for about $40 or so. I'm sure that one of those would help too.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK, apparently his Benq drive is dead --- as in electrically dead. My PC won't "see" the drive that was in his XBox but it "sees" the identical replacement Benq drive. So... I'm guessing a PCB swapout to preserve the key ain't gonna work. Ideas?!

Thanks
    Not much you can do if the old drive is dead as you'll need the drive key from the old drive to replace it. If you can get it to work at all there might be a chance. If your kernal is 7371 or below theres a good chance you'll be able to do the jtag hack and recover it then just dump the original nand and remove xelll and your back to normal function. Here's how you would do it anyway:

How To Get CPU Key
    First What You Going To Do Is Turn Off Ur Jtag And Follow The Steps Below

1. With Your Jtag Off Click The Eject Button
    2. It Will Boot Into Xell.
    3. When It Says Fuse 1 , Fuse 2 , ETC Take A Picture Of The Fuse Sets With a Camara Or Webcam
    4. After You Have Did This Add Fuse Set 3 And Fuse Set 5 Together ( Or 4 And 6 )
    5. Add Fuse Sets Together Like This
    Fuse Set 3 : 12345
    Fuse Set 5 : 67890
    CPU : 1234567890
    6. Copy Your CPU And Paste in Notepad To Save For Later

How To Get DvD Key
    Follow the Steps Bellow To Get Your DvD Key On Your Jtag!

1. Boot Up Your Jtag And Go To XeX Menu 1.1
    2. Go To Flash360 Run It Hit ( X ) To Back Up Current Nand
    3. Now Its On Your USB Go To The Computer And Start Up Flash360 Tool
    4. Enter Your CPU ( If u dont have it folow the steps above ) And the program will restart
    5. Now Click the .... And Open Ur flashdmp.bin Thats On Ur USB
    5. Then It Will say DvD Key And DvD OSIG Copy Both Of These And Paste In Notepad And Save For Later =)

Also I would recommend a refllow as the xclamp fix probably won't last more than 3 months. You might wanna do a 12v fan mod as well, it will keep it nice and cool, downside is the fans will sound rather loud.

Hope this helps!

~ WiiHacks VIP ~
    ***** Supporter
    Thanks
    Nightstah,sorry if i'm slightly jacking your thread,but as everyones talking of reflowing i'd just like to ask some more experienced members a question.
    Got my 360 already xclamped repaired and has been working well ever since,but now for no reason and with no RR's at all (all green and ok)but i got no pic or sound,its like if theres no rgb cable attached.
    I've tried another cable and still the same,so does anyone thing that a reflow may sort the issue,or could it be something wrong with the rgb plug inside the 360 itself.
    Sorry again nightstah not meaning to make people swerve your particular prob.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skagg View Post
    Nightstah,sorry if i'm slightly jacking your thread,but as everyones talking of reflowing i'd just like to ask some more experienced members a question.
    Got my 360 already xclamped repaired and has been working well ever since,but now for no reason and with no RR's at all (all green and ok)but i got no pic or sound,its like if theres no rgb cable attached.
    I've tried another cable and still the same,so does anyone thing that a reflow may sort the issue,or could it be something wrong with the rgb plug inside the 360 itself.
    Sorry again nightstah not meaning to make people swerve your particular prob.
    It sounds like a problem with your GPU. Take a look at my guide that I've just posted it will tell you how to do a re-flow yourself. It should fix your problem.

http://www.wiihacks.com/xbox-360/767...tml#post486673

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast