Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An X-Box 360 I'm Working On (Opinions)

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 3,622 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm aware of your just submitted guide; as to whether it should stay OTOH... it's been reported and being debated right now in fact. Reflows with heatguns are notoriously... iffy.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bailzey View Post
    Not much you can do if the old drive is dead as you'll need the drive key from the old drive to replace it.
    Or if you've got friends (BadAd_84) with the right equipment, you send the PCB to them to physically remove the chip and then extract the key code.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    I'm aware of your just submitted guide; as to whether it should stay OTOH... it's been reported and being debated right now in fact. Reflows with heatguns are notoriously... iffy.
    It's obviously not going to be the same as a professional doing it as it doesn't require the same tools. If you did want to do it yourself professionally the equipment would cost 100's and to pay someone to do it is also quite expensive. It's just a cheap way for those people who don't want to spend that sort of money. It has been tried and tested a number of times by me and has worked every time so far.
    Last edited by bailzey; 12-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just wanted to follow up on my thread here. Bad_Ad84 once again came through --- this time for a wiihacks staffer no less, lol. I sent him the dead drive's PCB and he extracted the firmware which of course, included the drivekey necessary for me to spoof to the replacement benq. This user performs (for a reasonable fee when faced with an untenable choice --- ie Wii replacement or in my case, XBox replacement) a valuable service to our community --- once again, many many thanks!

On the 3 RROD syndrome: the so-called RROD repair kit I used had no effect (positive or negative) on that. The unit still powers up usually with 3 RROD but performs without any other manifestation of an actual hardware issue. Usually after being on for five minutes, it can be powered down and then back up and no RROD is observed. This is likely due to the inferior materials that are substituted for old school lead (not just in XBox's but laptops as well; GPUs especially tend to fail sooner or later due to the poor lead substitute being used in the industry nowadays).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12