Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning external hard drive for use by both Wii and Xbox 360

Thanks

Partitioning external hard drive for use by both Wii and Xbox 360

Now that Microsoft has released the update allowing for external hard drive use for game storage, etc. I decided to partition the hard drive I've been using for Wii games on my softmodded console so that I could have a little space for game saves and downloads on my unmodded Xbox.

I set up two partitions on my HDD: the primary is 216 gigs for Wii games, and the secondary is 16g for the Xbox. I got the Wii drive set up, games installed, etc. - no problems there. Now when I plug the drive into the Xbox, it's telling me it needs to format it (which it shouldn't, since the 16g partition is FAT32), so I'm afraid that it wants to format my Wii partition...

Any suggestions on how to make this work without accidentally erasing my Wii partition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 857 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing the your xbox is looking at the primary partition and in this case it is WBFS. Unless there is a way to select a partition to look at in the xbox settings it might not work for you.

Thanks
    That's what I thought...

Is there any way to change which is the primary partition without erasing the HDD and starting over?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can with EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Home Edition but then it wouldn't work with your wii games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numonohimax View Post
    That's what I thought...

Is there any way to change which is the primary partition without erasing the HDD and starting over?
    Not without repartiitioning the drive, which would format it anyway.... sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I had this problem and had to do the same.

@Kranker : Ive never tried this software and wasnt advised of it when I first had the problem. But your WBFS partition can be anywhere on the drive as far as i'm aware.
    Last edited by sgibson1980; 06-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    4.1e, Bootmii/boot2, Cios Rev17, Darkcorp 1.0, cMios Rev5(Mios 10 base), WiiFlow, Neogamma 8 r17, Seagate Expansion Drive 1TB

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    But your WBFS partition can be anywhere on the drive as far as i'm aware.[/QUOTE]

If this is the case then numonohimax can use the software to change the Primary partition without formating. I have done it myself but it you have a way of backing them up, I would recommend to do so first just in case something happens.

7. 1 User Says Thank You Krafter For This Useful Post

Thanks
    Thanks all - I'll let you know if any of this works

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafter View Post
    But your WBFS partition can be anywhere on the drive as far as i'm aware.
    If this is the case then numonohimax can use the software to change the Primary partition without formating. I have done it myself but it you have a way of backing them up, I would recommend to do so first just in case something happens.[/QUOTE]

Maybe... Ive set up a m8's hdd with FAT32 as 1st partition and WBFS 2nd Before and wiiflow has no problem finding it...
    4.1e, Bootmii/boot2, Cios Rev17, Darkcorp 1.0, cMios Rev5(Mios 10 base), WiiFlow, Neogamma 8 r17, Seagate Expansion Drive 1TB

Thanks
    OK, I got it to work! Here's how:

1. I had to reformat the hard drive (pain in the ass, but I was able to back it up). Partition 1 is 16g FAT32 format, and Partition 2 is the remainder of the drive also in FAT 32.

2. I plugged the drive into the Wii and used Configurable USB Loader to format Partition 2 to WBFS. This has to be done before you format the other partition for the XBOX. I tried doing it the other way around, and XBOX reformatted the entire drive.

3. I plugged the drive into the XBOX, went to System Settings ==> Memory. It asked if I wanted to configure the drive. I clicked yes, and it configured Partition 1 for XBOX compatibility.

4. Plugged the drive back into my computer, and I now have one WBFS partition for Wii games and one FAT32 partition configured for XBOX games.

There may be an easier way if you have WBFS for Windows, but I neglected to mention that I'm also using a Mac :P In spite of that, I've been able to load games now from the same hard drive onto both consoles without a problem. Hope this helps anyone else who may want to do the same

11. 1 User Says Thank You numonohimax For This Useful Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by numonohimax View Post
    OK, I got it to work! Here's how:

1. I had to reformat the hard drive (pain in the ass, but I was able to back it up). Partition 1 is 16g FAT32 format, and Partition 2 is the remainder of the drive also in FAT 32.

2. I plugged the drive into the Wii and used Configurable USB Loader to format Partition 2 to WBFS. This has to be done before you format the other partition for the XBOX. I tried doing it the other way around, and XBOX reformatted the entire drive.

3. I plugged the drive into the XBOX, went to System Settings ==> Memory. It asked if I wanted to configure the drive. I clicked yes, and it configured Partition 1 for XBOX compatibility.

4. Plugged the drive back into my computer, and I now have one WBFS partition for Wii games and one FAT32 partition configured for XBOX games.

There may be an easier way if you have WBFS for Windows, but I neglected to mention that I'm also using a Mac :P In spite of that, I've been able to load games now from the same hard drive onto both consoles without a problem. Hope this helps anyone else who may want to do the same

Thanks for the info this is exactly what I need to do to my 500gb external hd.

btw, i am also using a mac. Now you said you are able to load games to both consoles, I am still reading and getting info on how to mod my xbox360 but are you able to backup your 360 games to the hard drive and load them like you can do with the wii?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast