Thread: disc reading error

Thanks

disc reading error

hi guys,
    im posting this for my mate who hasnt got internet access yet. hes got an xbox 360 and has suddenly been getting a error when reading game discs. it plays dvds perfectly.
    the error says dirty or damaged disc.
    if he wants to play a game, he's got to save it to the hd and play then but its a pain to do this. he's cleaned the lens but still same.
    anyone had the same problem? he hasnt had the RROD ***yet***, possibly this is the sign its coming?
    thanks guys

gac
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with my hitachi drive on my 360 tried cleaning lens on drive but no luck so bought a new drive lens on ebay and fitted it and worked perfect after that

Thanks
    yeah i was looking at them for him is there anyway of seeing what drive is in his console without taking it apart first?

gac
    Thanks
    Yes remove the 360 faceplate and the hole where the dvd drive is there is some small wires you can tell by the colour of the wires look here Xbox 360 DVD Drive Comparison How to determine which version DVD drive you have in your Xbox 360, Samsung, Hitachi, Benq

e39
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 187 Posts
    The Hitachi FL/78 & 79's are notorious for dying. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but if your drive motor is fried you might have to do some pretty complicated surgery.

Your only bets are to:

a) send it in for repair.

b) buy a new Hitachi DVD rom from eBay, swap the PCB board from your existing into that

c) extract the DVD drive key from the original (JungleFlasher), buy a new Hitachi DVD rom from eBay, flash the extracted drive key to the eBay drive.

The problem is very fixable, but it all depends how much effort you want to put into fixing this. If you're interested in option C, while you're in there, you can always flash to iXtreme 1.5 (Hitachi), iXtreme 1.61 (Samsung, BenQ), or iXtreme LT (LiteOn).

Helpful Threads:
    Dump & Burn discs | 3.3 / 3.4 Firmware FYI | Wii Disassemble | WiiClip Install

Consoles:
    Wii - 4.1U - WiiKey 2 - USBLoader GX - SNES9X GX, Genesis Plus GX, FCE GX w. cover flow mods
    360 - Resident Evil S.E. - iXtreme LT 1.1 - JTag - FreeBoot 0.032 9199 Dash - NXE2GOD, XM360, XeXMenu 1.1, Flash360
    PSP - CFW 5.00m33, 16GB MSPD | DS Lite - DSTT w.1.17a r12, 8GB SDHC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by e39 View Post

c) extract the DVD drive key from the original (JungleFlasher), buy a new Hitachi DVD rom from eBay, flash the extracted drive key to the eBay drive.

The problem is very fixable, but it all depends how much effort you want to put into fixing this. If you're interested in option C, while you're in there, you can always flash to iXtreme 1.5 (Hitachi), iXtreme 1.61 (Samsung, BenQ), or iXtreme LT (LiteOn).
    Do you happen to know how to or know a good tutorial on how to pull the DVD key from the mother board? Someone gave me a system to fix not realizing that someone else had already tried swapping out the DVD drive. Now that the Drive Keys do not match, we can not play Xbox Games.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    If i have helped you, please let me know by saying thanks