Thread: Swapping out Drives

Thanks

Swapping out Drives

hi all, probably a stupid question..... but here goes

i have a liteon drive to which i can not get the keys from, as i dont have a probe, so i wanted to put in a benq drive, but after ipreping it and it telling me it was successful, i find that every game i put into it, it tells me that i need to put the disc in to an 'xbox360'........

after shouting at the screen stating the obvious, 'it is in a f***ing xbox360' i am still at a loss

can someone help clear my mind up on this one please...... without laughing and jokes LOL LOL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhe View Post
    hi all, probably a stupid question..... but here goes

i have a liteon drive to which i can not get the keys from, as i dont have a probe, so i wanted to put in a benq drive, but after ipreping it and it telling me it was successful, i find that every game i put into it, it tells me that i need to put the disc in to an 'xbox360'........

after shouting at the screen stating the obvious, 'it is in a f***ing xbox360' i am still at a loss

can someone help clear my mind up on this one please...... without laughing and jokes LOL LOL
    You need to extract the key from the liteon so that you can spoof the benq as it. There is not way that i know of around this. Find a local flasher if you can as they will have the tools. You won't need the benq anymore.

I assume you just tried flashing custom firmware without a key so its not going to work.

feel free to pm me or msn me if you need any further help.

Thanks
    You can get the key from some program floating around, forgot what it was called specifically, but you plug in all of the crazy lite-on barcodes and it calculates your drivekey, alternativly you can e-mail the information to Foundmy and they'll do it for you. I'll dig around my large amount of harddrive space to see if I can find that program and PM you what it is when I find it.

To answer your question, there is no soft method to get the key off of a lite-on, and you cannot replace the drive without the drive key (unless you were to swap the circuit boards). Xbox-experts.com Xbox 360 Repair/Modding - Tutorial Flash Your Lite-On for Free is a guide on building your own probe to extract a key if you're at all familiar with electronics. I'm really hoping that you didn't erase the drive without extracting a key, since there is no way to go back on a lite-on erasing it.

------Update------

So, I found what I was thinking of. Turns out it wasn't a drive key calculator, but it fixes bad serial data from key dumps. JungleFlasher does this for free, where as Foundmy charges about $35. You pretty much have to dump the key data if you want to replace the drive, other wise it will not work. And do not erase the drive data until you've dumped the key successfully.
    Last edited by Arandul; 10-11-2009 at 06:10 AM.