Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the 360 be softmodded?

Thanks

Can the 360 be softmodded?

A friend of mine has a 360, I don't have one. But he's looking to be able to play games off his hard drive similar to the Wii or PS2. I've looked into it a little but all I've found is the firmware flashing, so that backup play is doable. Is that all that can be done to a 360 without a modchip?

Thanks
    yes it can indeed, but not for playing games of the hardrive as the games are lyk 7.5 normally in size so its not really visiable , you have to burn the games to dual layer dvds verbitums are best bet m8, ive done lot of work on 360's so need any help ... ill be here

Thanks
    I too am interested, but what sort of tools would I be lookin at to flash it?

Thanks
    google jungleflasher. they have a tutorial on their site.

if you have a liteon, you will need a probe.

Thanks
    Check out "Free60.org"........The Free60 Team are working on a softmod that pretty much highjacks the entire system, but it isn't released yet. More on their site. Read up.

They already had Ubuntu running on it and ran XBMC thru Ubuntu (very choppy though). There is a video on YouTube of this.

e39
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 187 Posts
    Define "soft modded".

"Soft modded" in terms of non-hardware installation, software exploit to play backups, no. Currently, there is no available way to modify the 360 operating system to play copies.

"Soft modded" in terms of non-hardware installation, drive controller flash to play backups, yes. You flash the DVD drive to believe anything in there is legit.

Soft modding is a huge pain in the ass and includes many ... many awful steps. If you're any bit of a rookie, do not try this yourself.

This might be an interesting solution ...
    [NEW] Xecuter xDrive 360 *NEW PRODUCT* - Team Xecuter

Helpful Threads:
    Dump & Burn discs | 3.3 / 3.4 Firmware FYI | Wii Disassemble | WiiClip Install

Consoles:
    Wii - 4.1U - WiiKey 2 - USBLoader GX - SNES9X GX, Genesis Plus GX, FCE GX w. cover flow mods
    360 - Resident Evil S.E. - iXtreme LT 1.1 - JTag - FreeBoot 0.032 9199 Dash - NXE2GOD, XM360, XeXMenu 1.1, Flash360
    PSP - CFW 5.00m33, 16GB MSPD | DS Lite - DSTT w.1.17a r12, 8GB SDHC

7. 1 User Says Thank You e39 For This Useful Post

Thanks
    From the Free60.org/wiki/main_page

Felix Domke, Michael Steil, Free60 Project; 11 August 2009

Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at Main Page - Free60 Project will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.

Free60 (Main Page - Free60 Project) is a project that aims to enable Xbox 360 users to run homebrew applications and operating systems like Linux on their consoles. The effort is headed by Felix Domke and Michael Steil, who have a background in dbox2, Xbox and GameCube hacking, and who have spoken at various conferences about their findings. Two years ago, Free60 released a hack that allowed arbitrary code execution using a game ("King Kong Hack") as well as an adapted version of Linux, but this possibility has been disabled by Microsoft in subsequent updates of the Xbox 360 software.

Felix and Michael have repeatedly argued that game console manufacturers should open up their platforms to Linux and homebrew, similar to what Sony has done with the PlayStation 3.
    This is the most important part of that quote......."It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox. "

I'm new here, but I am sure other people in these forums know this too.............

.....openning the 360 to the same type of homebrew scene as the original Xbox, would be super!!! No one can deny the greatness that poured from the original Xbox "hacker" community. We know this to be true, cause we are STILL seeing what that old black box can do. Hopefully this will become reality...........sooner, rather than later.

9. 1 User Says Thank You 420smilz For This Useful Post

Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 87 Posts
    Check this out!
    the Xbox 360 hasnít seen a lot of homebrew action. [tmbinc] has taken it upon himself to port the Snes9x emulator to it. Thereís no pretty GUI, and its not running on top of linux or anything. This is native,

debugmo.de Some Xbox 360 homebrew
    GOOD MEN SLEEP SOUNDLY
    AT NIGHT,
    KNOWING THAT ROUGH MEN
    STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY DON'T INSTALL IOS 38, 53, 55.

Press at the bottom right of the post if this response was of any assistance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chnkpk View Post
    I too am interested, but what sort of tools would I be lookin at to flash it?
    There are different ways of dumping and flashing drives depending on what drive you have. there are 4 types at present samsung, Hitachi, Benq, Liteon and they were released in that order.
    first find out what drive you want to flash then we can help you flash it so it will play backups.

Things you should get before you start

Hardware

Via 6421a sata pci card
    Sata cable
    Connectivity set i.e CK3
    Usb memory stick 256mb will do

Software

Iprep V9
    Jungle flasher 1.66b
    Last edited by uron100; 09-06-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    I wish it was like an iphone hack where you just plug it into the usb of your computer and let the computer do the work. (without taking the xbox apart)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast