Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Fixing red light of death on X360?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Fixing red light of death on X360?

    Lads,

    A friend of mine has two broken 360's with the "red light of death" syndrome. He's got a new one and doesn't need these at all, so he offered them to me to see if I can get them fixed.

    Just wondering if anyone has any good instructions / tutorials on fixing this problem? I had a google search and most of the sites I found were commercial rip-offs asking you to pay to download their videos!

    I'm handy with the solder, got plenty of tools and experience, just need to find out what I'm supposed to do with them

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 396 Times in 369 Posts
    knowing these :
    -- water cooling ?
    -- enhanced fan cooling ?
    -- X-clamp replacement ?
    -- retrofit of thermo conductivity, heatsink & thermo grease ?
    -- DIY skill level ?


  3. 1 User Says Thank You billyhome For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Is it purely a heat issue?

    I have some Arctic Silver left over and a bucketfull of assorted screws, washers, heatsinks and whatnot.

    My PC is watercooled but I'm not sure I'd like to take on the project of watercooling an XBox.. even though.. I could use my old Eheim 1250 in an external setup.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 164 Times in 139 Posts
    It has to do with the heat unsoldering wires and whatnot. Some people do the Xclamp, or watercool it. I would just open it up, and let that bitch run free case.

  6. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post
    Lads,

    A friend of mine has two broken 360's with the "red light of death" syndrome. He's got a new one and doesn't need these at all, so he offered them to me to see if I can get them fixed.

    Just wondering if anyone has any good instructions / tutorials on fixing this problem? I had a google search and most of the sites I found were commercial rip-offs asking you to pay to download their videos!

    I'm handy with the solder, got plenty of tools and experience, just need to find out what I'm supposed to do with them

    Thanks!
    Try the new Xecuter RROD pro repair kit. It's supposed to have a very high success rate. im waiting for my first batch to test before i can say anything for sure but apparently they are very good. a bit pricey though, i think about $25 usd each.

  7. 1 User Says Thank You Gamestuff For This Useful Post


  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks lads, esp. billyhome with PMs, I got it working again using Llama's instructions.

    I replaced the hard gunk with some arctic silver compound and cooked the GPU for 20 mins, 4 green lights come up now

    It's mad noisy, so I oiled those delta fans and they're doing a bit better now, also cleaned the whole innards.

    I didn't go for a repair kit, after all they seem to be just some nuts and washers. Instead a put a pad underneath the GPU, which causes the clamp to put some more pressure on it - seems to be working fine so far.

    I put iXtreme 1.5.1 on it while I was at it (it's a hitachi 59 drive)... now that I'm done I'll probably give it away to my nephew.. so thanks again for your help, you're gonna make my nephew happy

  9. #7
    Junior Member Jasons34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 455 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is why I think the 360 is a piece of junk. I have one and havent played it in over a year. I was thinking of selling it but I know I wont get much for it. I just think its very funny, no matter where you go to get one "used", they come with no warrenty and have a sign saying they dont give warrenties because of the "ring of death".

  10. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    That is why I think the 360 is a piece of junk. I have one and havent played it in over a year. I was thinking of selling it but I know I wont get much for it. I just think its very funny, no matter where you go to get one "used", they come with no warrenty and have a sign saying they dont give warrenties because of the "ring of death".
    Microsoft has a 3 year warranty on the red ring of death and e74 error. as long as you have a warranty sticker on your xbox you should be good to return it. if you lost or broke that sticker during modding.. then you knew the consequences but have probably paid for a new system in savings.

    Xbox 360 is a great machine and outsells any constantly sells any other non nintendo system in north america (PS3). Sure it has its design flaws but if it breaks, get a new one. a 3 year warranty by the manufacturer is pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Gamestuff; 05-29-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: was corrected..

  11. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 164 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamestuff.ca View Post
    Microsoft has a 3 year warranty on the red ring of death and e74 error. as long as you have a warranty sticker on your xbox you should be good to return it. if you lost or broke that sticker during modding.. then you knew the consequences but have probably paid for a new system in savings.

    Xbox 360 is a great machine and outsells any constantly sells other system in north america. Sure it has its design flaws but if it breaks, get a new one. a 3 year warranty by the manufacturer is pretty damn good.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Nintendo outsells Microsoft by a hella amount. The 360 can't even touch the Wii when christmas comes around. Also for awhile if not still Microsoft wasen't doing shit about the e74 errors. Also what is with your name being the name of a website? You sound like a spam bot.

  12. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiiwouldliketohack View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Nintendo outsells Microsoft by a hella amount. The 360 can't even touch the Wii when christmas comes around. Also for awhile if not still Microsoft wasen't doing shit about the e74 errors. Also what is with your name being the name of a website? You sound like a spam bot.
    Sorry i stand corrected, nintendo does outsell microsoft who outsells sony.

    Aprils numbers:
    * DS - 1,040,000
    * Wii - 340,000
    * Xbox 360 - 175,000
    * PS2 - 172,000
    * PS3 - 127,000
    * PSP - 116,000


    yes the e74 was not under warranty until recently but that being said at least microsoft stepped up to bat and dealt with the issue.

    obvoiusly everyone in here is going to have a bais for Wii, but all i'm saying is the XBOX 360 is still a very good machine despite its problems.

    and no im not a spam bot. When i signed up for this forum thats the name i chose... im not here to spam just hopefully help some people out with there xbox problems.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •