Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing red light of death on X360?

Thanks
    Hi Dezmond,

Hows it going with your 360.
    Tha baking trick is temporary fix, maybe a week or so, how long has your been holding on.
    If it redlights again, do a reflow.
    It will last a loong time.

2. 1 User Says Thank You mastermas For This Useful Post

Thanks
    You're right, it was quite temporary, I've done it several times, and it lasted for a few days at the most.

What's a reflow and how do I do that? This overheating business isn't working out really, I can't be doing that every few days but I'm certainly interested in a more permanent solution!

Thanks
    OK,
    I have been in your position man. first of all, do not overheat the system anymore. this method is not good for the cpu. And by baking it this way you will never reach the temperature that is required to melt the joints, which is 290 celcius.

Ok here we go.
    first open your xbox.
    remove the heatsinks and xclamps
    remove thermal paste
    next get a heatgun,i personally have the grissly heatgun. you can set the temparture easily on this on.
    now you can heatgun your board. you tube has a lot of guides on how to do this. just look for: how to reflow xbox 360.
    Most important, you have to heat up the board very slowly, do not heat it up to quickly. we want to heat up the board evenly, especially the GPu and CPU.
    Just start up at low settings for 2 minutes, on medium for 2 minutes, than on high for 1 minute. after that 2 minutes on medium, and 1 minute on low.
    when your done, do not touch the board. let it cool down for at least 2 hours.
    reattach everything and your good to go.
    try and use arctic silver thermal paste 5. this is the best out there. believe me.

one more thing, get the whisper max fans, and get them to blow constantly on 12 volts.
    do a research on you tube. you will find some very good vidz on how to heatgun.

keep me posted mate.

Thanks
    I think what a person wrote in a previous post on page 2 was a good idea in that mounting all the XBOX 360 internals into a mini tower case where you can mount some lage fans into to keep it cool

as for the solder they use this is basically what is called in the electronics world as dry joints caused by poor soldering/solder & high temperature which makes the solder crack

even the method of using a heat gun to get the solder to melt somewhat and cool down will still be only a temperory fix to the problem as once the GPU gets hot again it will do the same thing eventually..

The only succusfull way I could see of stopping the problem would be to either watercool the CPU & GPU from the first day you buy one or to gut the thing as said above, somehow mount a bigger heatsink to both the CPU & GPU and use some large high speed fans to keep it cool enough any maybe moniter the temperature with a thermo probe setup

as for all the warrenty claims to microsoft it must be costing them a fortune in repairs as last i heard they are offering 3 year warrenty on them because of the RROD, one would have thought they would have redesigned the latest 360's on the market with better quality solder and better heat dissapation on the chips (that is unless they are planned to bring out a new xbox this coming season)
    Last edited by wiiman.au; 12-13-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post
    Lads,

A friend of mine has two broken 360's with the "red light of death" syndrome. He's got a new one and doesn't need these at all, so he offered them to me to see if I can get them fixed.

Just wondering if anyone has any good instructions / tutorials on fixing this problem? I had a google search and most of the sites I found were commercial rip-offs asking you to pay to download their videos!

I'm handy with the solder, got plenty of tools and experience, just need to find out what I'm supposed to do with them

Thanks!
    removing the x clamps and change the washers..

you only get the 3 yr warrenty if you get it before 08 anything after that gets a 1 year...
    Last edited by oldschool990; 12-23-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    I'll be trying a reflow on the next one. I've ordered some liquid flux, as soon as that's in I'll go buy a heatgun and give it a shot. X-clamps and similar fixes are just temporary.

Thanks
    I replaced the hard gunk with some arctic silver compound and cooked the GPU for 20 mins, 4 green lights come up now

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER,,,,,,, NEVER DO THIS!

Overheating your Xbox, after getting a RROD, will maybe work for a few weeks or even days, and cause even MORE damage. Shut your box off, take it to a hobby shop, and BGA the GPU off the board and resolder it down, anything else will only cause more damage.

Thanks
    A red ring fix is easy, and there are plenty of guides for it.

If I've helped you at all, click that little THANKS button on the right.

Thanks
    i used the heat gun method and went to lows and bots for resetting the heat sink. the cross are just kinda like a spring and let the gpu and cp move. so i removed the studs off the heatsinks and put a small bolt to replace it. also i used a very small metal washer and small plastic washer under that so it dont hurt the board i guess. they also act as spacers so your not pushing the cpu out the other side of the mobo. i used silver thermal paste, very expensive stuff. take it apart, clean it up, put the paste on and the modified heat sink back, just snug the heatsink down, heat it up, then after you reach temp tighten it down. then put it back together and by then you should be able to rock. i have done 3 this way and all still work. as for mine when i got an elite that was broke. i just swapped the inside of the broken one with a new one and took it back to walmart. but i wanted a brand new 360. plus i kept the controller and the big hardrive. oh i also kept the power supply because the one i got wouldnt even fit the one the guy gave me.

Thanks
    Lads,

A friend of mine has two broken 360's with the "red light of death" syndrome. He's got a new one and doesn't need these at all, so he offered them to me to see if I can get them fixed.

Just wondering if anyone has any good instructions / tutorials on fixing this problem? I had a google search and most of the sites I found were commercial rip-offs asking you to pay to download their videos!

I'm handy with the solder, got plenty of tools and experience, just need to find out what I'm supposed to do with them

Thanks!

I buy xbox 360's with rrod off ebay and fix them all the same way... the way I do it is the same as the below shown links... works great, then I sell them on... Very few can't be fixed, however, ones where ppl towel them ect (all the crap quick fixes) can ruin the CPU/GPU points and then you have a very different problem. Other great methods include case mods...try these:

Xbox 360 (VERY GOOD)

Thermal Paste and How To Use It - techPowerUp! Forums

techPowerUp! :: How do I properly lap a heatsink/ waterblock?

Xbox_360_Cooling_Mod

Xbox-experts.com - Tutorial - Heatgunning with Isolation (LAST OPTION!!)

After all this if nothing works...then sell it on ebay for scrap/parts and get a new elite! Hope this helps....it fixes them for me!
    Last edited by wii-noobie; 03-15-2010 at 11:38 AM.

12. 1 User Says Thank You wii-noobie For This Useful Post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast