WODE vs Softmod - my experience
I've had my Wii for a fairly short time, but I've had it soft-modded since day one. I reeeeally liked the idea of GC iso's off disc via WODE, since my GC is junk and many of my GC discs are scratched to heck - so I paid for a WODE a week ago. To set the tone of this thread in a few words - I wish I'd have never bought the WODE. It's not just the issues, it's that they promised each unit was tested, and that the issues I'm having suposedly did not exist (by the time I ordered it).
It actually works perfect - if all you use are Wii ISO's. ATM they still can't figure out why my WODE won't play *any* GC iso. Its kinda funny when you can say possitively it's not my images, since their on-board GC-based "GC Menu" has the same issue not loading (regionless code with "region mismatch" error). Then there's the addtional facts:
1) it's a faint shade of PINK (everyone has this problem atm)
2) it can't play many of the games that are problematic (yet fixed) for softmods
3) I had to mod the case to get the ribbon cable lined up properly
4) I had to enlarge the button's hole to get it to click downwards
5) the LED's required 4 layers of tint film to not be blinding from 10ft away
6) I have to sit there like a cage fighter waiting to brawl selecting my game
7) I can't play my on-hdd VC/WiiWare/Emulators w/o having to swap USB ports (meaning I have to play them via softmod & via non-WODE USB port)
8) Probably more since I almost can't use it...
I'm sure people not wanting to softmod their Wii will love it. However, after considering a few facts: 99% of "bricking" is reversable & nearly impossible with the current state of the guides & app updates, and both softmods and WODE will technically void your warranty - the WODE isnt practcal yet. There's absolutely no comparison once you consider the pricetag for both. Just so this post isn't 100% negative, I do have to say it's easy as pie to update. Slap it on and SD card (even transflash SDHC in an adapter!), and it's done in the time it takes to make a sandwich.
BTW I'm not intending this as a "I Hate WODE" post or "Don't Buy WODE", my intent is more to caution people before they buy something that they expect to be perfect. I'm sure in time most issues will be ironed out (easy to update the firmware; different case designs being tested), but atm it's not the best way to go. What you choose to do with it (agree, flame, or investigate further) is up to you....