Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: partitioning HDD and format it to wbfs?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question partitioning HDD and format it to wbfs?

    hi

    I have this 1 terabyte Harddrive
    it has 500 gb of old computer backups. and about 500 gb is still free.

    I was wondering, can I make a 300 gb partition on it, then format that to wbfs format?
    To put wii iso's on it, and play it directly from usb?

  2. #2
    Forum Administrator BluPhant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,352
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 720 Posts
    You could, but why not do fat32? WBFS as a hdd file system is basically obsolete @ this point.

    -Blu

    Softmod ANY Wii
    | USB-FAT32 | Error Index | Chat!
    An Introduction To Wii Hacking - MUST READ for all new Wii Hackers
    If I have been of help to you, please click the "Thanks" icon to the left.



  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    k thanx!

    I just read online about creating a partition. before doing so, everything on it will be erased.

    Is there a way around? Can I also just add my iso's on that hdd, like in the root directory and load it via usb loader or something?

  4. #4
    Junior Member dniMretsaM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 331 Times in 269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankly View Post
    k thanx!

    I just read online about creating a partition. before doing so, everything on it will be erased.

    Is there a way around? Can I also just add my iso's on that hdd, like in the root directory and load it via usb loader or something?
    If your drive is currently formatted as FAT32 or NTFS, you can rip your games directly to the HDD through your preferred loader. No need to format it or mess with partitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sven
    [16:26:34] i'm never sarcastic.
    [16:26:41] feel free to quote me on that.

  5. #5
    Forum Administrator BluPhant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,352
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 720 Posts
    If you delete a partition, everything on it is erased. There are utilities that allow you to mess with partitioning, but you should have a backup just in case. A free tool is gparted. Its available on a bootable cd, based on linux. You could extend your existing partition (under most circumstances) to include the additional drive area.

    Generally speaking, WBFS files are the currency for NTFS/FAT32 drives, they'd be stored in a /WBFS/ folder. Wii Backup Manager handles everything for you, you can add ISOs and it will save as WBFS files. Makes things very easy.

    -Blu

    Softmod ANY Wii
    | USB-FAT32 | Error Index | Chat!
    An Introduction To Wii Hacking - MUST READ for all new Wii Hackers
    If I have been of help to you, please click the "Thanks" icon to the left.



  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I encountered another problem.

    My HDD is FAT32 formatted, I won't partition (thank you for the link) because I can not make a backup of the 500 gb data (I prefer not to take risks).

    I tried to store a 4.5 gb iso on the HDD, but I got an error that there was not enough room on the HDD. (though, there is about 500gb of free data)
    After some research I discovered that files greater than 4 gb can not be stored on a fat32 formated drive.

    How do I solve this problem :s

    Thank you in advance. (Can I maybe split the files?)

  7. #7
    Junior Member dniMretsaM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 331 Times in 269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankly View Post
    I encountered another problem.

    My HDD is FAT32 formatted, I won't partition (thank you for the link) because I can not make a backup of the 500 gb data (I prefer not to take risks).

    I tried to store a 4.5 gb iso on the HDD, but I got an error that there was not enough room on the HDD. (though, there is about 500gb of free data)
    After some research I discovered that files greater than 4 gb can not be stored on a fat32 formated drive.

    How do I solve this problem :s

    Thank you in advance. (Can I maybe split the files?)
    I believe Wii Backup Manager will split them correctly (it might even convert them to .wbfs, not sure). Or just re-rip them through your loader if you don't want the hassle of copying the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by sven
    [16:26:34] i'm never sarcastic.
    [16:26:41] feel free to quote me on that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •