Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Why is this so hard for me to wrap my mind around?

  1. #1
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Why is this so hard for me to wrap my mind around?

    Ok, im just going to come out saying i feel like a complete idiot. I have read forums, watched videos, read how-to's, asked around, etc... and i just dont get it. the worst thing is, i dont know what i dont get... I dont know if its the steps, the termonology or what, i am just totally lost. Ok... im going to write how i feel the softmodding process goes, and hopefully i will be corrected where i am wrong. I get an SD card, i put a bunch of files on it. I put it into the SD slot in my wii. I run whatever program it is (cant recall the name) I install bootmii and homebrew. ***my first problem, i cant install bootmii as a boot 2, i dont even know what this mean but i save it as an iso. Now to back it up i go to the homebrew channel and hit the menu button. launch bootmii. go to arrow pointing away from card, and hit it. ***my second problem, it says bootmii is not installed and asks if id like to continue, but its dangerous. I know the wii is not mad expensive, but i cant afford another if i brick it, so this is where i stopped. My questions are, how can i tell what year mine is? i bought it used. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A BACKUP LOADER? How do i back it up correctly, and how high is the risk of me bricking it

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,754
    Thanks
    1,900
    Thanked 4,404 Times in 3,693 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    HackMii Installer. Not save, but install as an IOS (not ISO). You sure you installed it (as an IOS)? A backup loader is a piece of software that non-original games are ran by. You have the disc channel for originals. Backup loaders (play burned copies) include Neo Gamma, USB Loader GX, Configurable USB Loader, WiiFlow, etc etc.

  3. #3
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    When you say non original games, you mean virtual copies of actual wii games? so i can burn a game to a blank CD-R, put it in the wii, and play it, without having to hard mod it? I know there are site rules, but i just cant find a guide that is dumbed down enough for me, im talking bare basics, like talkin to a caveman, cus im lost...
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,754
    Thanks
    1,900
    Thanked 4,404 Times in 3,693 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I mean a game that you own that is backed up (either yourself or can be sourced; we don't deal with the latter, as it's against the rules). Backups that are burned to blank DVD-R. If your Wii is less than a year old, you would be unable to do this due to D3-2 (unmodifiable) DVD drive. I don't know if you've gotten this material before or not, but here goes:

    Welcome:

    Welcome to the Ultimate Nintendo Wii Community. As with all good things there are rules that must
    be followed, A copy can be found here: Wiihacks Site Rules --- To search is power, and to choose to not search can Lead to Failure please read our Wiihacks Ultimate Searching Guide to learn that manu ways that you can search for your desired information. --- When/If your thread is closed it was for a good reason and please read ??_When My Thread is Closed_??

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE READ THIS THREAD REGARDING SYSTEM MENU UPDATE 4.3 , ALL WE KNOW ABOUT HOW TO MODIFY IT WILL BE HERE http://www.wiihacks.com/wiihacks-new...8-4-3-out.html PLEASE READ SOUR'S WARNING AND DONT GET YOUR SELF IN TROUBLE


    Below are some basics that you will need on your journey!!

    Please start here our: Wiihacks Master Index, it contains many great links and if a great asset.
    ---
    There are two different routes that you can choose for modding your wii. You can either Hard-mod your wii with mod-chips or you can Soft-mod. We have a in-house trusted supplier for mod-chips Here, very trusted site, and great customer service. When and if you going to hard-mod your wii there is a great section here on the forum. Mod-Chip Section
    ---
    On the Flip-Side you can soft-mod you wii using only a SD Card... The guides that are here have been tried and tested and do work... DON'T FOLLOW FAIL-TUBE VIDS.... The first step that you need to do is find out what system menu version your wii is. After you find out that piece of information there are two guides that you can use.
    If you are on 3.1-4.1 system menu you can use the guide by dogeggs: [[Guide]]
    If you are on the 4.2 system menu the you can use the guide by Shadowsonic2: [[Guide]]
    ---
    Along the journey of modding your wii you might run into errors when trying to mod the software or install software on your wii. Members have created a list for this and can be accessed here: Wiihacks Error Index, most if not all of the errors are in there and how to fix them. If there is a certain guide that you are looking for or dont know if there is one yet well look no further: Wiihacks Guide Index (by username)
    ---
    Please abide by the rules and make everyone here feel at home with how you post and conduct yourself, We all are here to help. Please enjoy and WELCOME TO THE ULTIMATE WII HACKS COMMUNITY. Like any great things there are costs that are incurred, Please help us with those costs by donating to wiihacks: Wiihacks Donate () If/when you do donate (we appreciate it) drop by and let us know: Donations
    ---
    Other than the seems like endless info that is available on this forum check out the other neat aspects of wiihacks:
    - Blogs
    - News Section
    - Twitter
    - Facebook
    - IRC
    ---
    Hot Topics
    Monster Hunter Tri [GUIDE]
    Price of Persia: Forgotten Sands [GUIDE]
    Super Mario Galaxy 2[GUIDE]
    ---
    - -

  5. #5
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I bought mine used, i dont know what drive it has. i went to a site that i found on here that took your serial # and told you what drive you had. it said i had a 75% chance of having a GC2-D2E covered in black glue, and a 25% chance of it being just a GC2-D2E. i do not know what this means.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,552
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    whats the first 4 digits of the serial number?

  7. #7
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    the first four digits LU62
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

  8. #8
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    I mean a game that you own that is backed up (either yourself or can be sourced; we don't deal with the latter, as it's against the rules). Backups that are burned to blank DVD-R.
    )
    Ok, but i have found threads that mention "downloaded" games. Is this allowed? i dont want to break any rules...
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

  9. #9
    Senior Member Krank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,895
    Thanks
    953
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Double posting is against the rules..LOL
    Damn I suck!!!!

  10. #10
    New Member jimbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    lol i dont mean to, i go to post and it tells me to post in 29 seconds, so i do, then i see i posted two....lol...ill get it evenually
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •