Start up/Beginner Questions
My friend recently said he would probably get rid of his Wii because he barely uses it so I'm thinking of snagging it and hacking it for all its potential goodies. But first... I need some help on how to get everything started (I mean everything; super noob basics and so on). I've never owned a Wii but have messed with them before. I've tried searching through the forums for answers, but the terminology and tutorials are way too complicated for me at the moment.
1. Besides the obvious necessity of a Wii, what other things will I need to softmod the Wii? If you could specify the best or most compatible products/things to use, that'd be helpful (memory size, reliability, price, etc).
2. Is softmod just as good as hardmod or do the differences not even matter, it just depends on what you want to do? Any clarification on why would help also.
3. I have a PSP and know how to hack and mess with it and know that the ISO's of games come out working nearly a day or two after its release. Is that the same case for the Wii or are newer games not usually playable for whatever reason?
4. If there is any other information I should know that will greatly benefit my Wii hacks from now on, could you fill me in?
I prefer to get answers and not, "check this out [link]". Those never usually lead to straight forward answers or specified towards me.
Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
1. Full SD card, 2gb or less (no MicroSD, nor SDHC). Wireless internet connection. Ability to download stuff to SD card say on PC side and then move it to your Wii.
2. Both hard and soft can exist on the same Wii at the same time. If you update to 4.2 (don't; stick with 4.1), a hardmod cannot be made to play out of region games but the softmod still can.
3. Generally new games are playable when they come out; at times there's work-arounds like for Wii Sports Resort, NSMB. A couple games this week gave people problems, Rugby League 3 is one of them.
4. Just read and follow said tutorials to the letter. Dogeggs has one for any 3.1-4.1 Wii, Shadow and Messie have two separate ones for 4.2; the sole purpose of the introduction of 4.2 was to kill homebrew (and by extension your ability to play backups). Since the Wii is old, do not accept a system update as you'll land on 4.2 Since you don't want links, I'd say look in the Recommended Guides section, eh?
just follow one of the hacking guides on this site ....according to your firmware
1.If you go for disc launching get Verbatim or taiyo yuden dvd-r....if you go for a hdd look here http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...lity-list.html look around and find prices for your self..lol
2.Softmod requires upkeep
3.Some games on wii require a work around but they are simple
4.Yeah READ if you think you'v read enough your kidding i v been on wiihacks 4 months and i am still reading lol
You ll get link so you can do and learn it your self ....straight answers is spoon feeding you dont learn nothing and just keep coming back asking more of the question that have been answered...
However, I have an extended question to my 1: I thought the SD Card was where to put the ISO's (or whatever they're called for Wii, if different) of games to play on the Wii. I know some PSP games are around 1gb so 2gb for Wii games seems weird. Is it actually the USB Loader that does the playing of games or is it something else?
Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
SD card is for the purpose/utilization of doing the softmod, not for game storage. You can use either burned discs (presuming older Wii), USB HD as indicated here, or flash/USB pen drive.
Ah, okay. Now I get it. Branching off to the USB Hard Drive sizes, do you think a messly 10gb would be enough for at least 2 games? I'm not sure how large games can go or the average; any idea? I would want to only have 2 or so games stored and simply delete/transfer others back and force when I finally want to play them.
Retired Wiihacks Staff
The games vary from 200mb to 4gb on a WBSF partition. Not all drives are compatible. I know there is a list of compatible drive and USB sticks floating around but I'm not going to look for it.
If you found this helpful please click the Thanks button.
System Menu 4.2U | Wiiflow 1.1 r28mod
Bootmii/Boot2 | Priiloader 0.4
cIOSx rev19, base ios57 | Hermes v5 (202 ios60/222 ios38/223 ios37/224 ios57)