Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: NAND Backup?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    NAND Backup?

    I don't have bootmii yet, I figured I should install it now, I already softmodded my wii, I have 2 wii ware games, the HBC, backup launcher and NeoGamma R7. Will backing up my NAND make any difference now? I'm asking this since I'm not really sure what a NAND backup is xD
    Also, If I install bootmii do I need preloader? They seem like the same thing o.o

  2. #2
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Orel82 View Post
    I don't have bootmii yet, I figured I should install it now, I already softmodded my wii, I have 2 wii ware games, the HBC, backup launcher and NeoGamma R7. Will backing up my NAND make any difference now? I'm asking this since I'm not really sure what a NAND backup is xD
    Also, If I install bootmii do I need preloader? They seem like the same thing o.o
    Bootmii is a way of possibly restoring your nand. (Wii memory)
    Priiloader is completely different, this prevents bricks.
    Best to have both.

    Yes make a backup now.

  3. 1 User Says Thank You WiiJohn For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yes backing up you NAND will still make a difference. Think of it like a restore point in windows, if the worst would happen and brick you would be able to reload your wii just as it is now with everything working. You can have bootmii without preloader but with that said preloader has some nice feature like blocking updates and couple others bootmii doesn't have. I have both installed and luckly my wii is old enough to have the boot2 install. Currently there are two methods of installing bootmii, as boot2 and as cios or ios one or the other cannot remeber off top of my head. This great restore protection comes as boot2 only as boot2 is the first thing to load prior to your system menu. If you can only install as cios ios a NAND backup and restore would only be possible with something small that preloader would start and you could go through HBC and run bootmii.

    If this helped please hit the thanks button.

  5. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My wii version is 3.4E, I heard preloader does problems with it. Should i update it to 4.1 before installing preloader?

  6. #5
    Senior Member Krank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,895
    Thanks
    953
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Orel82 View Post
    I don't have bootmii yet, I figured I should install it now, I already softmodded my wii, I have 2 wii ware games, the HBC, backup launcher and NeoGamma R7. Will backing up my NAND make any difference now? I'm asking this since I'm not really sure what a NAND backup is xD
    Also, If I install bootmii do I need preloader? They seem like the same thing o.o
    A NAND backup is a backup of your Wii's internal memory. Its like a restore point in windows. How old is your wii( when did you purchase it) This will determine if you can install bootmii as an IOS or as boot2. If you can instal it as boot 2 you will be able to restore your NAND in case of a brick. If you can only install it as an IOS , a backup is not as important but can still be helpfull if you have priiloader installed.

    I recommend installing bootmii(as boot2 if possible) as well as Priiloader.(using a tutorial based on the system menu version you have!) Im running bootmii as an IOS as well as Priiloader and have had no problems with them. There are Pros and Cons to each program, which you can find by using the search function at the top of the page. Hope this helps.

  7. #6
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Orel82 View Post
    My wii version is 3.4E, I heard preloader does problems with it. Should i update it to 4.1 before installing preloader?
    You are right preloader does not work with 3.4.
    I think its best to have the safety of priiloader, so update to 4.1.

  8. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Aight then, I'll do my best updating. I'll install bootmii first, If I mess up updating will bootmii save me? D:
    I read this guide http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...l-working.html I already have cios249rev14, so I'll just install the patched ios60 and I'm good to go?
    On the posts I read some problems with the updated, how will I know what do say yes to and what to say no to D:

  9. #8
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Orel82 View Post
    Aight then, I'll do my best updating. I'll install bootmii first, If I mess up updating will bootmii save me? D:
    I read this guide http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...l-working.html I already have cios249rev14, so I'll just install the patched ios60 and I'm good to go?
    On the posts I read some problems with the updated, how will I know what do say yes to and what to say no to D:
    If you have bootmii as boot2 you can restore.
    That guide is excellent, and straight forward.
    On the other issues you may be referring to the full guide from scratch.

  10. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well then, could you please send me this full guide from scratch? ^^"...
    Edit: How can I be sure that the 4.1 updater is E and not U? Or is it region free, does that exist? I'm a tad confused at the moment ^^"..
    Last edited by Orel82; 01-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Orel82 View Post
    Well then, could you please send me this full guide from scratch? ^^"...
    Edit: How can I be sure that the 4.1 updater is E and not U? Or is it region free, does that exist? I'm a tad confused at the moment ^^"..
    here are both guides,

    I said the from scratch is the more complex, best to use the with homebrew.

    If you are starting from scratch, new 3.1-4.1 written by Dogeggs

    If you already have Homebrew, upgrade to 4.1 written by Dogeggs

    They are for all Wii's. 3.1-4.1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •