Some questions by a newbie
I would really like to buy a Wii (Black Edition) for christmas, but I have some questions.
- I know there are many many great tutorials how to softmod your wii, but unfortunately they are all for PC. I am using a MAC right know. Can I do the softmod as well, or are there any programms which only work on a PC?
- The Black Edition arrived today, but I don`t have to worry about any new hardware, do I? It will have FW 4.2 but it`s no problem to softmod, right? Is the usb-loader working?
- As far as I am a total noob. How high is the risk for bricking the wii?
thx in advance
Most of the mods just require that you put files onto an SD card, so as long as you have a way to put and SD card into your MAC you can definately still do these mods. The only thing you might have a problem with is USB Loading. The program to format the USB HDD is built for a PC not a MAC, I havn't done much searching to find out if there is a WBFS Loader for MAC [although i do not think one exists]. As long as you read the guide for Modding a Wii with the 4.2 system menu, you should be fine.
Please note that your Wii "may" have the new D3-2 firmware DVD drive, which mean you CAN NOT play backups DVDs on the system, only way to play backups is through a USB HDD. There is only two ways to find out if you have this firmware, 1) open up your Wii, or 2) Try to burn a disc and see if it plays through a backup loader.
The guide for modding a Wii on the 4.2 system is in my sig, please read reAD READ it till your eyes blead, and you understand it fully before trying the mod on your own.
Last edited by s0ur; 11-17-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Congradulations, now how is that supposed to help me or the OP on the questions he posed?
Originally Posted by -_Wii_-
thx s0ur for your quick and helpfull reply!!!
Actually I already found WBFS for Mac.
hmm, I can`t play burned disks. Can I still rip my originals thou? As far as i know it`s also better to play them via usb, because they have shorter loading times and the run smoother. Is it true that you canīt play any game via USB-HDD?
But now I can rush to the store and buy a brand new Wii
- When I am done softmodding. Can I use my Wii as normal? Or do I have to disconnect it from the Internet? Does it update itself, or will there be a warning if there is a new FW by Nintendo?
- what does it mean, that with FW 4.2 after the Softmod you are not "preloader safe"? Is there a preloader in development?
Last edited by Elvis; 11-17-2009 at 01:24 PM.
You sure can rip your originals. As far as any games NOT running from USB Loader, I havn't heard of any. I have played over 150 games through my USB HDD with no problems. You can use your Wii as normal but be aware that if you get a disc with an update on it, it will ask you to update your system [this will wipe any homebrew mods from your system]. Yes you can still install preloader on system menu 4.2, Hacks to put in hacks.ini for preloader.
The only reason it says you are not preloader safe is cause they didn't have you install preloader in that particular guide, it's still a bit buggy and should be approached with caution on a 4.2 system. As long as you have BootMii as boot2 with a NAND backup, then you will always have a way to restore you system to a working state.
The system will always ask you if you would like to install an update, so as long as you hit NO then you are fine.
Last edited by s0ur; 11-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.