That is a good question, I don't know. All fixes I have seen for your situation involve updating from disk to a higher version. But it did not brick when you installed the 3.4u, so one would think it would be safe to reinstall the ios50, then 3.4e. But I would wait until one of the mods says its ok or not.
How did you do that anyway?