Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: ROMS - From PC to external drive on Wii?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ROMS - From PC to external drive on Wii?

    I've been going through all kinds of irritation trying to get my external HD to take files other than ISOs or RARs. I know that WBFS is a FAT16 format and XP doesn't like it very much but there's GOT to be a way to do it. I mean, half these emulators have a USB drive rom load option.

    Anyone know how to make this happen?

  2. #2
    Retired WiiHacks Staff Tealc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Wales, UK
    Posts
    7,152
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 4,103 Times in 2,453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes have a 2 partition drive, 80% WBFS, 20 % FAT32 or something.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
    Yes have a 2 partition drive, 80% WBFS, 20 % FAT32 or something.
    Already been there, tried it with FAT32 being first partition and then with the WBFS partition being first.

    To be honest, it would save a lot of time if they would just code it to where the Wii would read FAT32 and NTFS...which i know has already been done with WiiXplorer so there's really no "can't happen" for that one.

    That's Wii's one cardinal sin, using a FAT16 type of partition. I even tried using MacOSX and Ubuntu Linux and neither of them will read them "static" without using some sort of software or modification.

    It's only a 95gb drive so it's nothing outside the range of possibilities. And i know it's "compatible" because LoadUSB likes it and WiiXplorer likes it. FTPii doesn't care for it and a few of the emulators can't read it so it's sort of a half and half issue.

    WBFS File Manager is so limited to it's capabilities so it's out of the "help" picture. It would be better for them to just add a simple, universal file manager so you can move files back and forth without so much effort.

    I dunno, i've been wracking my brain trying to get "outside" the box (so to speak) with this but all of the software out there is too beta to really make a serious difference. WiiXplorer is probably the closes app to getting it all going and FTPii would be great to give the Wii a universal "filer server" feeling but all of this is JUST too new.

    I've soft-modded the heck out of my Wii and it up to 4.2U with a modified cIOS, very "up-to-date" so to speak. The idea of "bricking" my Wii keeps me to a distance from messing too deeply into the modding world.

  4. #4
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by immortalsoule View Post
    Already been there, tried it with FAT32 being first partition and then with the WBFS partition being first.

    To be honest, it would save a lot of time if they would just code it to where the Wii would read FAT32 and NTFS...which i know has already been done with WiiXplorer so there's really no "can't happen" for that one.

    That's Wii's one cardinal sin, using a FAT16 type of partition. I even tried using MacOSX and Ubuntu Linux and neither of them will read them "static" without using some sort of software or modification.

    It's only a 95gb drive so it's nothing outside the range of possibilities. And i know it's "compatible" because LoadUSB likes it and WiiXplorer likes it. FTPii doesn't care for it and a few of the emulators can't read it so it's sort of a half and half issue.

    WBFS File Manager is so limited to it's capabilities so it's out of the "help" picture. It would be better for them to just add a simple, universal file manager so you can move files back and forth without so much effort.

    I dunno, i've been wracking my brain trying to get "outside" the box (so to speak) with this but all of the software out there is too beta to really make a serious difference. WiiXplorer is probably the closes app to getting it all going and FTPii would be great to give the Wii a universal "filer server" feeling but all of this is JUST too new.

    I've soft-modded the heck out of my Wii and it up to 4.2U with a modified cIOS, very "up-to-date" so to speak. The idea of "bricking" my Wii keeps me to a distance from messing too deeply into the modding world.
    If you use XP you can create 2 primary partitions 100GB and 200GB NTFS.

    My example.

    WBFS format 100GB
    NTFS format 200GB

    Have used this setup for several months, with GXloader, all fine.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiJohn View Post
    If you use XP you can create 2 primary partitions 100GB and 200GB NTFS.

    My example.

    WBFS format 100GB
    NTFS format 200GB

    Have used this setup for several months, with GXloader, all fine.
    Really? What are you using to move the ROMS with? That was what my whole post was about, or are you talking about installing ISOs and backups?

  6. #6
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Yes ISO and backups, you can play movies,.avi and such. What would you do with roms, what roms.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
    I have a boat load of SNES roms on the FAT32 side of my HDD and they work flawlessly with the latest Snes9GX but I havent found a way to make the Genplus emu work from it, strangely genplus works perfect with a 4gig flash drive I have.

    To combat removing the usb lead from the wii and putting strain on it plugging in and out all the time, I just put a 2 foot USB extender in there and routed it to the front so now all I have to do is unplug the HDD from the extension and plug in the flash to play the gen games.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiJohn View Post
    Yes ISO and backups, you can play movies,.avi and such. What would you do with roms, what roms.
    ROMs are backups of emulated console games. I own about 6 different systems and, if i can play them all on one system, it would work out better. And since i own the games i have ROMs to, it's completely legal.

    Actually, that was the very basis of this thread.

  9. #9
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by immortalsoule View Post
    ROMs are backups of emulated console games. I own about 6 different systems and, if i can play them all on one system, it would work out better. And since i own the games i have ROMs to, it's completely legal.

    Actually, that was the very basis of this thread.

    Sorry I can't help, I know nothing about that.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiJohn View Post
    Sorry I can't help, I know nothing about that.
    It's cool, i'll just wait until the Wii world gets away from it's WBFS format....i hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •