Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: DIOS MIOS is spelled U-N-R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E

  1. #1
    661
    661 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    DIOS MIOS is spelled U-N-R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E

    There. I said it. I said it because whenever I launch a GC game one of four things happens, a) it works b) the wii crashes and shuts down c) it crashes and reboots, or d) it hangs on a black screen. Sometimes I can successfully launch five games in a row. Other times it takes 5 tries to launch one.

    Symptoms like these are quickly dismissed as HDD compatibility problems. Nonsense! I've spent heaps of time and money on storage solutions "known" to be compatible and still they break. And I can reproduce the problem on all manor of solid-state devices as well.

    So, you have a setup that works? I sure would like to hear about it. In fact, I'll spend the money to reproduce your solution and prove that it doesn't work reliably either. And I'll keep trying until such time as I AM proven wrong.

    Particulars of my latest test rig forthcoming. But this thread is all about what you have that "works". Thanks for playing.
    Last edited by 661; 04-27-2013 at 06:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Moderator
    IRC AOP
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    llaffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,331
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 894 Posts
    I've used two hard drives:

    - Bought a Seagate 250GB 9SD2A2-500 external hard drive about 3-4 years ago. Still works fine. Replaced it due to filling up the space.
    - Bought this earlier this year: http://url.llaffer.com/wiihd - works on all of the gamecube games that I've thrown at it, except for two...

    I use DM2.9 with the wii modded using Maufrog's guide.

    The two games that fail (X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends 2) are compatibility issues with DM and is known. They work fine in DML, so I have them stored on my SD card. If I want to play them, I'll install DML to run them, then switch back to DM when done for loading the other games.

    Click Below for recommended Links


  3. 1 User Says Thank You llaffer For This Useful Post

    661

  4. #3
    661
    661 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by llaffer View Post
    I've used two hard drives:

    - Bought a Seagate 250GB 9SD2A2-500 external hard drive about 3-4 years ago. Still works fine. Replaced it due to filling up the space.
    - Bought this earlier this year: http://url.llaffer.com/wiihd - works on all of the gamecube games that I've thrown at it, except for two...

    I use DM2.9 with the wii modded using Maufrog's guide.

    The two games that fail (X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends 2) are compatibility issues with DM and is known. They work fine in DML, so I have them stored on my SD card. If I want to play them, I'll install DML to run them, then switch back to DM when done for loading the other games.
    Interesting. I recently bought and tested the portable version of that drive; a distinction without a difference IIRC. I bought it b/c of glowing testimonials to DM compatibility. I'm also using DM 2.9 and ULGX r1213 on a Mauifrog wii. Can you provide details on on how you laid out the HDD and how many games/file are on it?

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,450
    Thanks
    1,839
    Thanked 4,309 Times in 3,618 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    @661:

    There a reason you put this in Wii-U? And we actually have GUIDES for DM, DML, Devolution, FAT32, NTFS, USB HD compatibility. This thread as presented is non-scientific in findings.

  6. #5
    661
    661 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Didn't realize I had posted in wii u. My apologies. Please move it to wherever you deem appropriate.

  7. #6
    661
    661 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, nightstah, for moving the thread. With all do respect, I'm way past the point of reading guides and compatibility lists. Been at this a very long time. Done the homework. Bought the hardware... and then some. Can't make it work reliably. I am asserting that there is a pervasive problem with this solution that gets short shrift in the forums. Recent feedback from a ULGX project member supports that assertion.

    Some forum members claim they have DM loading GC games as reliably as HB launches wii games. MY goal is a simple one. Figure out how they caught lightening in a bottle so I can do it too.
    Last edited by 661; 04-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,450
    Thanks
    1,839
    Thanked 4,309 Times in 3,618 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I will say it appears more art than science. Part of that is DM revisions can break things that worked on previous versions, and other less than desirable things. Guides here are maintained or updated with developments on current versions (the DM one anyway). Good luck!

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    VWA
    SNES_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,214
    Thanks
    989
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 661
    Thanks, nightstah, for moving the thread. With all do respect, I'm way past the point of reading guides and compatibility lists. Been at this a very long time. Done the homework. Bought the hardware... and then some. Can't make it work reliably. I am asserting that there is a pervasive problem with this solution that gets short shrift in the forums. Recent feedback from a ULGX project member supports that assertion.

    Some forum members claim they have DM loading GC games as reliably as HB launches wii games. MY goal is a simple one. Figure out how they caught lightening in a bottle so I can do it too.
    You're never too "experienced" to use a guide. Anyway, if Dios Mios isn't working out for you then you can check out the Devolution Guide (link in my signature) and see if that works better for you.

  10. #9
    Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Moderator
    IRC AOP
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    llaffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,331
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 894 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 661 View Post
    Interesting. I recently bought and tested the portable version of that drive; a distinction without a difference IIRC. I bought it b/c of glowing testimonials to DM compatibility. I'm also using DM 2.9 and ULGX r1213 on a Mauifrog wii. Can you provide details on on how you laid out the HDD and how many games/file are on it?
    I have my hard drive formatted in a single, primary, active partition in 32k clusters.

    Wii games installed in usb:/wbfs
    GC games installed in usb:/games
    few apps installed in usb:/apps (though I have these as back-ups, I usually launch then from SD Card).

    I don't know the exact break down, but I have over 100 games between Wii and GameCube installed on the hard drive.

    Click Below for recommended Links


  11. #10
    661
    661 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've decided to give up on DM over USB. Too much time and money wasted. The USBLoaderGX PM has convinced me of the futility of chasing the stability I'm after. DML is the new direction. It just works and with large SDXC cards my entire GC library can be ready/online.

    Feel free to close or remove this thread. thx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •