Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Pros and Cons to each format of the USB Hard Drive?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Pros and Cons to each format of the USB Hard Drive?

    I know I've run into issues with my FAT32 choice, so I'm wondering if I really need to keep it FAT32 or not. I mainly utilize it to back up my games, but some games won't back up properly (I'm convinced I'm having issues with getting the games over 4GB to split properly.) Either way if someone could kindly put a list together of the Pros and Cons that would be amazing for us all I think. Thanks!

  2. #2
    New Member isoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 91 Times in 87 Posts
    Well, I'll state what I know:

    FAT32 - Becoming more popular because many USBs/HDDs are already formatted to this. Does not require software to add games. USB/HDD can also be used to store other files (all that is required is that a folder named "wbfs" is created on the root of the device. This is where you can put your games (in wbfs format). Can't really see much cons here...except that you have to convert your ripped ISOs to WBFS files.

    NTFS - Also a popular method, but if you were to choose one of FAT32 or NTFS I would generally go with FAT32 (personal preference). Some HDDs are formatted as NTFS already. All you have to is put your games, in ISO format, on your HDD and they are ready to play.

    WBFS - An outdated format which is not recommended anymore (as it requires software to add games and the HDD is pretty much useless for anything else while it is formatted a WBFS). Pros? I guess it's user friendly...

    Hope this helped

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All input definitely helps. Thanks! I am hoping to find out more though. I'm sure there are reasons that everyone pretty much on here says FAT32???

  4. #4
    New Member isoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 91 Times in 87 Posts
    It's mainly for the reasons is stated above - it's easy and your USB device is most likely already formatted as it.

    Also, you are putting wbfs files on it (which are compressed) so your games are not all 4 GB in size (some games can be compressed a lot, some can't)

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isoguy View Post
    It's mainly for the reasons is stated above - it's easy and your USB device is most likely already formatted as it.

    Also, you are putting wbfs files on it (which are compressed) so your games are not all 4 GB in size (some games can be compressed a lot, some can't)
    Yes, I have the WBFS folder on the drive Still have issues with some games. Mainly the ones over 4GB. I have tried downloading them, loading them straight to the hard drive via disc and USB loader, etc.

  6. #6
    New Member isoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 91 Times in 87 Posts
    If a games size (after being compressed) is over 4 GB, the game is split into two files. If you place both these files in your wbfs folder, they should work.

    Are you sure you are doing this right?

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isoguy View Post
    If a games size (after being compressed) is over 4 GB, the game is split into two files. If you place both these files in your wbfs folder, they should work.

    Are you sure you are doing this right?
    Well, I've tried loading it on the HD by utilizing USB Loader, and I've also tried downloading it and utilizing the software to convert the file to the wbfs folder (it claims to automatically split it for me.)

  8. #8
    New Member isoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 91 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allmanallpimp

    Well, I've tried loading it on the HD by utilizing USB Loader, and I've also tried downloading it and utilizing the software to convert the file to the wbfs folder (it claims to automatically split it for me.)
    Did you check that the two files are there? Just go into the folder and see if there is one or two files.

    What USB Loader are you using? Is it updated to latest version (although this shouldn't matter)?

    I suggest re-naming this thread if possible or creating a new one for you problem as this one is mainly for the pros and cons.

    You are more likely to get expert advice by doing that.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isoguy View Post
    Did you check that the two files are there? Just go into the folder and see if there is one or two files.

    What USB Loader are you using? Is it updated to latest version (although this shouldn't matter)?

    I suggest re-naming this thread if possible or creating a new one for you problem as this one is mainly for the pros and cons.

    You are more likely to get expert advice by doing that.
    i will say, it does show only one file in the folder when i do it either way, which i did find odd... i still want to know the pros and cons though of each so i can choose what's best for me everyone has different needs/wants with their wii's, why not put the info out there for us all to enjoy

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'm going to try the modmii 6.0.1 from the main page of this site and upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •