Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Installing the iPlayer WAD on Wii 4.2U

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Installing the iPlayer WAD on Wii 4.2U

    It seems the more I read on installing this thing, the more confused I get. So lets just put it to the experts, and maybe you can straighten me out.

    I've got a wii (US region), fully patched (don't hit me) and managed, so far, to get the Homebrew channel on. (I followed the guide here: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...tem-menus.html ) (nb: I only installed the HBC, not the priiloader or anything else.) That's a good first step, I thought. Still, my goal is the iPlayer. (I've been transplanted from Surrey to the USA for a semester or two, and want to continue watching the beeb.)

    I downloaded the iPlayer WAD (found in multiple spots on this forum) and tried using WAD Manager 1.5 to load it. However, the console locks when it asks what IOS to use (and I select the default, 249). Some other guide said to use the cIOS38rev14 installer, and I just tried that (again, using the default 249) and the same result; console freeze.

    I would certainly appreciate, in layman's terms, what steps to take to get this WAD installed. Watching the Doctor on my PC is rubbish!
    Last edited by Davis; 12-27-2009 at 06:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Following the guide here ( http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...y-4-2-wii.html ) I was able to get a lot accomplished. I completed that entire guide.

    Still though, when I go to install the iPlayer WAD, it errors, giving -1020 as a result, which is listed as "Most likely missing trucha sign if you downgraded. Other issues are Out of date IOS or bad/incorrect wad. Memory might be full."

    Now I've read some about the Trucha bug, but I don't know enough about it to be able to diagnose and fix this possible scenario.

    (I even tried AnyRegionChanger to attempt to just DL the damn wad from the UK Shop Channel, but accessing the channel gives me the 205958 error, and I cannot connect.)

    Thoughts?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can you get in to the channel or is it when trying to download the iplayer channel? If its the shopping channel then look for WiiSCU Personally though I have the same issue as you (which was why I found this thread), I've tried updating all of the possible IOS with WiiSCU and it makes no difference though.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I try and load the WAD via the WAD Manager, then it instantly fails during install, stating error -1020.

    If I change my region to UK and try to enter the Shop Channel, it first says (paraphrase) "Your region used to be United States. Now it's United Kingdom. Is this okay?" and then after a few more screens, it gives the 205958 error and wont connect, which I gather is a fake error generated by Nintendo when it detects that you've changed regions on your Wii.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm dyin' here. Someone's gotta have an idea for me?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To be honest I think getting iPlayer installed is the least of your problems if you're actually based in the US. iPlayer uses some pretty nifty tricks to detect where you're coming from and will only play video content to UK users.
    Have you tried getting it to work on a Mac/PC from where you are? You're more than likely going to have to use some kinda proxy service to route your traffic through the UK - which might be possible on a computer, but will likely be quite tricky on the Wii.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Remove the ios 249 stub, to do so start wadmanager in bootmii, Then you can install cios_rev14 then click do not reload ios ore something ( the last one click only left ) then you will be able to install the wad with wadmanager in bootmii goog luck!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    It seems the more I read on installing this thing, the more confused I get. So lets just put it to the experts, and maybe you can straighten me out.

    I've got a wii (US region), fully patched (don't hit me) and managed, so far, to get the Homebrew channel on. (I followed the guide here: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...tem-menus.html ) (nb: I only installed the HBC, not the priiloader or anything else.) That's a good first step, I thought. Still, my goal is the iPlayer. (I've been transplanted from Surrey to the USA for a semester or two, and want to continue watching the beeb.)

    I downloaded the iPlayer WAD (found in multiple spots on this forum) and tried using WAD Manager 1.5 to load it. However, the console locks when it asks what IOS to use (and I select the default, 249). Some other guide said to use the cIOS38rev14 installer, and I just tried that (again, using the default 249) and the same result; console freeze.

    I would certainly appreciate, in layman's terms, what steps to take to get this WAD installed. Watching the Doctor on my PC is rubbish!
    iplayer is uk only. i spent days tring to install b4 i figured that out.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobstarella View Post
    To be honest I think getting iPlayer installed is the least of your problems if you're actually based in the US. iPlayer uses some pretty nifty tricks to detect where you're coming from and will only play video content to UK users.
    Have you tried getting it to work on a Mac/PC from where you are? You're more than likely going to have to use some kinda proxy service to route your traffic through the UK - which might be possible on a computer, but will likely be quite tricky on the Wii.
    Yes, I own a few servers back home and I set one up to be a proxy. I've been watching Top Gear (just finished the Bolivia special) on the PC since I moved here. Getting to the content is no problem.

    Proxies on the Wii are no problem. There are settings in the Wii Menu for setting it up, and I've used proxies on a Wii in the past.

    Honestly, everything else is in the clear; I just need to get the bloody channel on my US Wii.
    Last edited by Davis; 01-04-2010 at 07:11 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivoback View Post
    Remove the ios 249 stub, to do so start wadmanager in bootmii, Then you can install cios_rev14 then click do not reload ios ore something ( the last one click only left ) then you will be able to install the wad with wadmanager in bootmii goog luck!
    Directions similar to these were in the Guides that I mentioned. I removed the 249 stub, installed cios_rev14, and tried to install the WAD via Wad Manager. No luck; it instantly fails the WAD installation with "-1020" as a reason. I'm stymied at this point.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •