The Adventures of a Noob:
How to hack you Wii 4.0 (4.0u)
to play backups without a modchip
First things first...I take absolutely no responsibility for any damage done to your system. If you follow my instructions than you should be just fine. However, "fine" is a relative term. There are some people that just are not good at following directions.
Secondly, I will not provide links to certain things that you need. This is to protect myself and anyone else that wishes to host this document. I, in no way, promote the Piracy of software of any kind. The only time that this is legal is when you already own the game. Its convenient to have a backup of the game just in case your newborn decides its a teething ring or your little sister gets pissed off and uses your entire game collection as coasters at a tea party where she is serving coolaide and soda. (lol)
So I decided to write this up because I had so much trouble trying to figure out what the hell I needed to do to get this to work. Here was the problem that I found. By installing Wii system menu 4.0 (or 4.0u) you basically closed off a few of your options. v4.0 eliminates the ability to install WADs on your wii. This is a vital part of getting the backups to play. So here's how we fixed that.
(MAKE SURE THAT YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS WORD FOR WORD! DO NOT EMAIL ME OR ANYONE ELSE WITH DUMB QUESTIONS! YOU HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED ALL IN ONE PLACE. USE IT!)
1. Download and install The Homebrew Channel (HBC) via the bannerbomb exploit (Bannerbomb - WiiBrew)
2. Download this packet cboot2 fix 4.rar and follow the instructions in the readme. This is going to allow us to install the custom IOS249 which is needed to run the backup launcher. After following the instructions in given go on to the next step.
4. Now, you need to go to the following Instructables page and download the packet that they tell you to use. Install cIOS36 Rev7 BUT...do NOT follow their instructions. It will walk you in circles for hours. Do as I say...
5. After you have downloaded the packet, make sure that your SD card is empty and transferr the entire contents of the folder labeled "Copy CONTENTS to ROOT of SD Card" onto the card. You will also need to run the setup file for ImgBrn as well. There is a file there both for Mac and Windows.
6. Now that you have transferred the data to your card and installed the program on your computer you will need to put the SD back into your Wii and launch HBC. From HBC hit the right arrow on the screen or the plus button and run the WAD installer. The application will be all by itself on the final page.
7. Once you get past the disclaimer and all that fun stuff, select Wii SD Card as your source. Several options will come up. You will need to select the region of your Wii.
I have yet to have messed with the region free version. I have no idea what difference it makes. I only know how to make it work with the regions still in place.
8. Move the cursor next to the proper region of your system and press the plus button. This will start the install process. From here, all you need to do is wait until the install is done.
9. Now, using the program that was provided (ImgBrn) you need to copy the ISO file to a DVD-R at the lowest possible burn speed. (x1) The slower the speed the cleaner more complete copy of the file is made.
NOTE: This will only work with dvd-r. The DVD+R will not work in the Wii. You will get an error saying that the disc could not be read. If you get this error, you waisted your money trying it on a +R disc Trust me! It doesn't work!!!
10. Now, just put the disc in your system and launch the Backup Launcher channel. Go to the options menu (not reboot options) find the force ::region:: option that applied to your region and then select the correct controller from the list given (most likely the one labeled default). Exit the options menu and launch the game. You will now see that your game has begun to play! Enjoy!!!
Many thanks go out to Dogeggs of wiihacks.com, the developers of the software that I am enjoying as we speak, and everyone else that helped me out on my journey as a noob in the world of Wii hacking.