Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Do I need to do anything other than install the modchip? Some noob questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Do I need to do anything other than install the modchip? Some noob questions

    I'm thinking about getting a Wasabi DX modchip and I have a few questions:

    1. I have a launch day Wii (USA) running the current firmware - is this OK?
    2. Is there any flashing of the internal memory or anything required? I'm sort of used to PSP hacking which is all software based...
    3. Is it really just plug and play like all the youtube videos show? How hard is the install on a scale of 1-10 for someone with minimal computer skills?
    4. Are there any games that won't work now? Is it future proof?
    5. Where is the best/recommended place to order from?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by pearltrade2003; 06-26-2009 at 08:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member bsmalley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boswell, PA
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts

    Us

    Quote Originally Posted by pearltrade2003 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a Wasabi DX modchip and I have a few questions:

    1. I have a launch day Wii (USA) running the current firmware - is this OK?
    2. Is there any flashing of the internal memory or anything required? I'm sort of used to PSP hacking which is all software based...
    3. Is it really just plug and play like all the youtube videos show? How hard is the install on a scale of 1-10 for someone with minimal computer skills?
    4. Are there any games that won't work now? Is it future proof?
    5. Where is the best/recommended place to order from?

    Thanks!
    1. a launch day wii is good. that is what i have also.
    2. no flashing necessary.
    3. it is really just plug and play if installing as a dx, if you go the zero route its still pretty much just as easy you just hafta make sure its pressed on there nice n tight so it dont pop off. really easy. opening the wii is easy, just make sure you apply firm pressure when loosening screws they will strip easily.
    4. if your making your own 1:1 game backups you shouldnt have a problem with anything. im not sure anything is future proof, but i feel it will be good for a long time.
    5. still not sure if i can post site links, will pm ya.

    since you have an older wii you have the option of using the wasabi dx as a wasabi zero. i would recommend getting the clip with it and use it as a zero that way you benefit from 6x read speed and gamecube streaming. read up and do studying on it so you know what its all about. as of right now i would say the wasabi dx is the best chip out there, especially when used as a zero.

  3. 1 User Says Thank You bsmalley23 For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. I'm going to look into the Wasabi Zero. What is the deal with PAL vs. NTSC? I know what they are but with the chip installed I can play PAL games on my NTSC console, right? DO most of them work or do they all require forced updates of some sort making them incompatible with my NTSC Wii?

    Thanks!!

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by bsmalley23 View Post
    1. a launch day wii is good. that is what i have also.
    2. no flashing necessary.
    3. it is really just plug and play if installing as a dx, if you go the zero route its still pretty much just as easy you just hafta make sure its pressed on there nice n tight so it dont pop off. really easy. opening the wii is easy, just make sure you apply firm pressure when loosening screws they will strip easily.
    4. if your making your own 1:1 game backups you shouldnt have a problem with anything. im not sure anything is future proof, but i feel it will be good for a long time.
    5. still not sure if i can post site links, will pm ya.

    since you have an older wii you have the option of using the wasabi dx as a wasabi zero. i would recommend getting the clip with it and use it as a zero that way you benefit from 6x read speed and gamecube streaming. read up and do studying on it so you know what its all about. as of right now i would say the wasabi dx is the best chip out there, especially when used as a zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearltrade2003 View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to look into the Wasabi Zero. What is the deal with PAL vs. NTSC? I know what they are but with the chip installed I can play PAL games on my NTSC console, right? DO most of them work or do they all require forced updates of some sort making them incompatible with my NTSC Wii?

    Thanks!!
    Another noob attack here. I'm learning - slooowly! So I have a USA GC2-D1, Firmware 3.3U and a Wasabi DX that is updated to 1.2.

    1) Should I update to the 2.0Beta?
    2) I should block all Wii updates, right?
    3) Should I downgrade? To what firmware? And why? (Sorry -3 questions)
    4) What else should I do to mod this Wii, if I mainly want to play backup games, and maybe Wii Ware game?
    5) In other words, what else can I do without a brainlock and hundreds of hours (I'm not lazy, just sloooow).
    6) Do I need to learn about WADS?
    7) Do I need any software mods? The Homebrew Channel? Etc?
    8) Is it really possible for a PAL to play on a NTSC Wii? It doesn't make intuitive sense to me. But if it works, cool!

    Thanks in advance

  6. #5
    Junior Member bsmalley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boswell, PA
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts
    sorry boneman but im not gonna answer all those. all of those questions are easily findable on this site. me answering them for u would defeat the learning process u go through by tracking the answers down urself. sorry.

    this will be my stance from now on pertaining to multiple string questions that can easily answered via research.
    My Wii System
    GC2-DMS Chipset - Wasabi Dx/Zero
    3.2u Firmware - HB Channel - Bootmii as Boot2
    Cios R14 - Neogamma R8B7

    LG GDR 8163b for backups



    Hit the "Thanks" if im useful.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmalley23 View Post
    sorry boneman but im not gonna answer all those. all of those questions are easily findable on this site. me answering them for u would defeat the learning process u go through by tracking the answers down urself. sorry.

    this will be my stance from now on pertaining to multiple string questions that can easily answered via research.
    Ooops. Sorry. Bummer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •