Hey guys I found this at WiiBrew.org and thought this would be helpful for lots of you so I took the trouble of posting it here for general awareness and for helping users.
By the way, if you don't know what this update does, here are the specifications:
IOS51 & Updated all IOSes except IOS30, IOS31 and IOS37 (these were already updated, see below)
Released: 23rd October 2008
* This blocks new installations of anything fakesigned, that is, Homebrew Channel (both new installs and updates), unofficial wads (legal and illegal), Starfall, cIOS, BootMii, anything that installs IOSes secretly like AnyRegion Changer or AnyTitle Deleter, xyzzy and DVDX (used for apps which have DVD support). This list is not exhaustive, but please add to it if you think of anything else.
* This also blocks access to /dev/flash in all IOSes but IOS30, IOS31 and IOS37. This means raw nand dumping utilities, for example Yet Another Wii NAND Dumper, no longer work, since by default homebrew uses IOS35
* If something is already installed then it isn't affected, like Homebrew Channel, etc.
* The homebrew developers are already planning how to work around this update.
* You currently need this update to access the Wii Shop Channel, but this can now be worked around with Wii Shop and IOS51 installer.
* If you already have the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, and aren't planning to install anything big that will affect your Wii, then you are most likely unaffected. Normal everyday apps such as Homebrew Browser are completely unaffected as long as you already have the Homebrew Channel.
* It updates all IOSes with the fakesigning bug, and adds IOS51.
* There is a, somewhat long-winded, method to remove the update, see Remove October 23 Update.
And here is the method on how to remove it! You will need cIOS to be installed before attempting to downgrade.
Remove October 23 Update (New 3.3 rev 2 update) (blocks several homebrew and hacks)
It is possible to undo the "damage" caused if you made the mistake of updating on or after October 23.
This process will only work if you already installed cIOS rev03 or greater before updating.
The newest version of WAD Manager looks for cIOS on startup and, if detected, makes use of it. As a result of this, it is in fact possible to undo the changes made by the update, by following the steps below:
1. Using WAD Manager, reinstall the old IOSes (IOS11 up to IOS37) from wads. The only legal way to obtain these is to use WUFE to extract the update files from games you legally own.
2. Once these are installed AnyTitle Deleter (which was broken by the update) will work properly again. So it is now possible to delete IOS51 using AnyTitle Deleter.
Alternatively, (once again, if you have cIOS rev03 or greater installed) you can use Waninkoko's IOS Downgarder (Please find good link) to do the first two steps for you.
Any Title Deleter (Ticket delete failed (No Ticket?) -102) doesn't work???
1. After deleting IOS51, although not necessary, it is recommended to use cIOS Downgrader to downgrade to either 3.2 or 3.3 (3.2 recommended). Although the update doesn't change the System Menu version, by doing this you are giving yourself an extra guarantee that all traces of the update have been removed. But, cIOS Downgrader connects to Nintendo's download servers and grabs the latest version of IOS30 (the new patched one), so if you do use the downgrader you will need to reinstall IOS30 again from your legally obtained wad.
2. You will find, after doing this, that the Wii Shop Channel no longer works. This is because you still have the new version of the Wii Shop Channel installed on your system. Before the update, you were presented with a message informing you of the need to update. Now, if you attempt to access the Wii Shop Channel, you are simply thrown back to the Wii Menu. This happens because you still have the new version of the Wii Shop Channel installed, and therefore do not need to update. However, the new version expects IOS51 to be present, as a result it does not know what to do and therefore simply quits back to the Wii Menu. To fix this, and regain Wii Shop functionality, you can use Muzer's or tona'sWii Shop and IOS51 installer.
After doing this, you will have a fully working Wii System Menu (either 3.2 or 3.3), complete with working homebrew, IOS51, and Wii Shop Channel.
Note: It is actually only necessary to install IOS30 and a libogc-compatible IOS (Recommended: IOS36. You will see the greatest homebrew compatibility with this). However, to ensure maximum compatibility with all homebrew, it is recommended to install as many of the IOSes as possible.
Note: This has only been tested on a Pal Wii with unmodified region settings (Europe) and installing 3.2E when downgrading. Please edit this page as appropriate if you find a configuration that doesn't work.
Source: Remove October 23 Update - WiiBrew
Well I hope this helped the lot out of you and whoever wants to ask questions, feel free to ask!
Here are some helpful links for the guide:
Waninkoko - Wii Projects (can get the latest version of cIOS and wad manager)
CIOS Downgrader - WiiBrew (latest version cIOS downgrader)
Wii Shop and IOS51 installer - WiiBrew (IOS51 and Wii Shop Channel Installer)
And of course, Main Page - WiiBrew
Also, for legal issues, I copy+pasted this guide based on the fact of open GNU license from open source sites (wiki) such as wiibrew.org. I acknowledge no responsibility from anything that happens to your Wii in the process (so I'm not to be held accountable for anything that goes wrong while using this guide). So I didn't write this, I'm just spreading the word!
The unofficial Homebrew Helper. Ask me how!
Cool, to bad you need a cIOS installed before the update. Oh well, i'm still good
well thanks to waninkoko, he has created Custom IOS36 rev 06 which has backup launcher 0.3 support. som no need to downgrade
Last edited by micwrecka; 10-29-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Well maybe if you stated that before hand, I wouldn't of made that PWNED assumption.
Oh well, an assumption is an assumption. Anyways, I'm glad this guide worked for you micwrecka, although you got banned
The unofficial Homebrew Helper. Ask me how!
He deserved the ban though lol, sympathy is pointless xD