Page 93 of 292 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 2912

Thread: Loading and Playing Wii Backup Games from USB HDD (softmod only)

  1. #921
    Member lfc4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 368 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbosh View Post
    I have sata/ide to usb converter. I was wondering if i took my old computer's internal hard drive and made it external using that converter, would it work? Has anyone tried it?
    It should work, I have a similar enclosure and have swapped disks around and they all have been recognised - so far
    Please remember your manners - say Thank You if someone helped , it doesn't hurt

  2. #922
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ca

    I want to use a USB HDD to play backups off of, but I don't have an external drive yet. I'll be receiving a drive back from Seagate on RMA shortly and I was going to buy an enclosure for it to use with my Wii. After reading around a bit in this thread I've noticed that buying a drive and enclosure separately can be a problem, but does anyone have a suggestion on a type of enclosure that's been tested and works? My drive is a 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 32MB w/ NCQ, model number is ST3320620AS.

    I'd really rather buy an enclosure and put this drive inside of it if at all possible. Seems like a waste buying a pre-built external drive when I've got this perfectly good one about to come back in a few days.

  3. #923
    Senior Member
    Legendary
    EMPRESS of ALL
    Retired Head Admin

    Do NOT PM for Site or Wii Issues
    Gen3SF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,036
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,237 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    @kingbosh
    @b1dg3t

    The compatibility link that goes outside our own wiihacks site does include more information on internal HDDs and enclosures. Check on your specific needs. That being said, be prepared for problems. Using an internal HDD with an enclosure remains the most consistent source of compatibility issues associated with trying to get the Wii to play from an external hard drive. Take a look through this thread and you will see the primary source of difficulty is the energy saving modes of the internal drives-if you have a utility disk for your HDD, use it. Turn off the energy saving mode or set the sleep/hibernate/powerdown whatever cycles to a really long interval.

    Make sure to keep your backups as internal HDDs also have inconsistent compatibility-intermitent failure to read and recognize is a very frustrating problem. Remember the Wii is not a PC and was never intended to use a HDD, but we have more success than failure. Good luck.

  4. #924
    Senior Member
    Legendary
    EMPRESS of ALL
    Retired Head Admin

    Do NOT PM for Site or Wii Issues
    Gen3SF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,036
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,237 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbar3 View Post
    I am on Vista....I set up one already. but the second one comes up with an error when trying to delete the drive. It says "the maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded."

    Can anybody help?
    Although this is a Wii site, and your problem is Vista, I suggest you check for a virus problem. The secrets message, as I understand it, may respond the multiple passes of something called ComboFix. Check at combofix.org for info. Google for more help as I saw something about activation validation giving that secrets error message, too.

    Come on back and try again when you get your Vista problem fixed.

  5. #925
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gen3sf View Post
    Although this is a Wii site, and your problem is Vista, I suggest you check for a virus problem. The secrets message, as I understand it, may respond the multiple passes of something called ComboFix. Check at combofix.org for info. Google for more help as I saw something about activation validation giving that secrets error message, too.

    Come on back and try again when you get your Vista problem fixed.
    Wow..... my post was about trying to do something on this Wii site and I was getting an error message. I thought maybe someone has gotten this message before.... thanks for pointing out google. Never used it before in my life. Thanks again for your ever so kind and warm response.

  6. #926
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Kanguru QS2 external sata/usb 1tb HDD

    I want to add an external HDD to my WII setup but the HDD I have is not mentioned in any of the compatibility lists. I'm willing to give it a try to see if it works and before I shell out any money for a different drive (my wife would kill me!). Has anyone tried this drive? If anyone has what happened? If anyone knows it will not work then I'll get a different drive and not waste my time trying to see if it works.

    Thanks!

  7. #927
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    4.1e pal

    Trucha Bug Restorer NO ERRORS

    cios 38r17 INSTALLED NO ERRORS

    cios 222v4 INSTALLED NO ERRORS

    homebrew channel 1.0.6 ios36

    Snes9x GX and some roms working off sd & usb

    mplayer movie working off sd

    500gb wd elements external hard drive black screen off USB

    40gb wd internal HDD with an enclosure black screen off USB

    usbloadergx

    configurableloader

    neogamma

    WiiFlow

    external hard drives all with WBFS pal games show up in the usbloaders menus i tried to load a pal game but i get a black screen in all usb loaders

    neogamma says ios249 rev17



    can anyone help me please

  8. #928
    New Member garysa34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olly37 View Post
    4.1e pal

    Trucha Bug Restorer NO ERRORS

    cios 38r17 INSTALLED NO ERRORS

    cios 222v4 INSTALLED NO ERRORS

    homebrew channel 1.0.6 ios36

    Snes9x GX and some roms working off sd & usb

    mplayer movie working off sd

    500gb wd elements external hard drive black screen off USB

    40gb wd internal HDD with an enclosure black screen off USB

    usbloadergx

    configurableloader

    neogamma

    WiiFlow

    external hard drives all with WBFS pal games show up in the usbloaders menus i tried to load a pal game but i get a black screen in all usb loaders

    neogamma says ios249 rev17



    can anyone help me please
    have you tried using ios 222 in options of your loader

  9. #929
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    first of all i would like to say a big thankyou for the guide i just salvaged a 60g western digital hdd out of old laptop and followed your guide to the letter i plan on using a itb later on and all is working great i have just 1 quick question if you wouldnt mind helping me please.

    I split the hdd into 2 with 30g wbfs and 30g fAT 32 can i use the fat 32 partition to run emulators and roms from or do i need to to put the emulators on the wbfs partiton and the roms on the fat 32 partition if so what is the file structure i should use?

    many thanks in advance

  10. #930
    Member lfc4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 368 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dazjaykay View Post
    first of all i would like to say a big thankyou for the guide i just salvaged a 60g western digital hdd out of old laptop and followed your guide to the letter i plan on using a itb later on and all is working great i have just 1 quick question if you wouldnt mind helping me please.

    I split the hdd into 2 with 30g wbfs and 30g fAT 32 can i use the fat 32 partition to run emulators and roms from or do i need to to put the emulators on the wbfs partiton and the roms on the fat 32 partition if so what is the file structure i should use?

    many thanks in advance
    Follow the EMUs guide as to structure, generally there is a set structure they all follow anyway, but they all (EMUs & ROMs) go on the FAT32 part of the drive.

    The WBFS is for Wii games only.

    If you are getting a bigger drive, then just note that the same 32GB partition for FAT32 is plenty, leaving max room for more Wii games
    Please remember your manners - say Thank You if someone helped , it doesn't hurt

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •