Playing Wii Backup DVDs using a USB DVD Drive
1. If you're Wii System Menu version is between 3.1 and (up to and including) 4.1 follow the following tutorial to softmod your Wii:
2. If you're Wii System Menu version is 4.2 follow the following tutorial to softmod your Wii:
3. Follow the following tutorial to install Hermes cIOS:
4. Download uLoader 5.1D from:
FileTrip - uLoader 5.1D
5. Extract apps\uloader to SD-Card:\apps\uloader
6. Connect a USB DVD drive to the bottom (when standing in the down position) or the left (when standing on the stand) USB 2.0 port.
7. Start uLoader
8. Insert a backup disc into the USB DVD drive.
9. Change the settings and select the desired cIOS / dol file to play the game.
10. Start the game by clicking on the spinning disc.
Tested with 7 games using:
1x Eminent IDE/SATA to USB Adapter
1x Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD-/+RW Optical Drive
1 User Says Thank You olger901 For This Useful Post
How did this guide get submitted twice?
Not sure how it got submitted twice cause it's supposed to be moderated. I did submit it twice without knowing though.
I never thought of hooking up a USB DVD Drive to play DVD-R ... I'm not having good times with this WBFS. Might be time to start mass burning.
could i use this to play CG backups ?
Why would you do this, though? Does this work on the LU64+ models? My older Wii has no problem reading backups in it's built-in DVD drive.