us netflix in canada? on the wii
i was at some guys house yesterday and he had netflix on the wii and it was the us netflix. i asked how he did this and he said he had to manually change the dns # for a us ip address. i was wondering if anyone here had an idea how to hack this so that i could watch us site
can you just change the dns #\s
Here's what i found with a quick search
How to find and change Nintendo Wii DNS server IP address
- Make sure your Wii is connected to the Internet.
- Select Wii Options.
- Select Wii Settings.
- Now click the right arrow once to view the Internet option > Click Internet
- Select Connection Settings.
- Now select the connection profile you are currently using.
- Select Change settings
- Select Auto-Obtain DNS settings i.e. click the right arrow three times until you see Auto-Obtain DNS settings.
- Click No, then Advanced Settings.
- Now click on Primary DNS and Secondary DNS fields and type in your ISP DNS server IP addresses.
- Select confirm > Click on Save and Finally click on OK to start the connection test.
- Next perform a Wii system update.
- And you are done!
Watch out for step 12 tho, if you softmodded your wii you'll lose the softmod !!
Unfortunately you have to do a little work yourself. Basically you have to hide your location by using a VPN connection. The Wii however does not allow you to use VPN natively, but you can load VPN on a router instead.!
If your Wii was registered with another (e.g. Canadian) Netflix account and you want to switch it to US do following:
1. From the Wii home screen click on round "Wii" (Options) button in bottom left corner
2. Click "Data Management"
3. Click "Save Data"
4. Click "Wii"
5. Find "Netflix Channel" (red square with letter N), click on it, select "Erase" and then confirm "Yes"
6. Try to find more "Netflix Channel" icons in that area, scroll to next screen if required (there could be more than one saved block)
7. Return to Wii menu and start Netflix Channel. You should get "Are you a Netflix member?" question and when you answer "Yes" it will show you activation code, which you can use at netflix.com/activate.
i have a softmodded wii. how can i get US Netflix in Canada and avoid doing a system update? if i just skip step 12, will it still work?
Last edited by purpleangelz; 11-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Ok, so you say watch out for step 12,.....wouldn't it brick my Wii??...or will i just simply loose the softmod?
Originally Posted by Turkie
This method seems plausible yet I'm a little concerned about bricking my wii. Any insight is appretiated.
Sorry for the newb questions.
I'm not too concerned about loosing the softmod.
Last edited by kinekt; 11-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.