Currently, I am trying my best to get Genesis Plus GX, FCE Ultra GX, VBAGX and Snes9xGX to work but for some reason, after about 3-10 seconds after starting up the emulator, they either crash to a black error screen or, if I somehow manage to start up one of the games, the controller stops being recognized/working at all and the game continues to run, or the game crashes along with the emulator. It forces me to shut down the Wii entirely (holding the button until it changes to red) and starting it back up once more.
Has anyone else encounter such problems, and if so, found any solutions to such an odd problem?
Dr. House @ Wiihacks
Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
Did you follow (prior to emulator stuff) mauifrog's softmod guide or a FAIL guide? DarkCide has a four part tutorial that's stickied in this section about specific emulators, etc...
There was nothing in the tutorials that I read that mentioned anything about errors like this. I skimmed through, searching just for that. As for following a guide to installing this, it's simply copy-paste for loading the emulators through HBC. I'm currently reaching out for anyone who can inform me, point me in the right direction or just tell me up front what is going on or how to fix it, if anyone even knows or understands my situation.
Also, does anyone know anything about whether emulators clash if put in the same USB drive? It probably doesn't sound right but I'm trying to think of anything that could be causing these errors. I've been trying and trying, but to no luck. It's always crashing and its driving me crazy. x-x
Last edited by DarkenX; 05-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
I have continued to try and figure out the cause, but to no avail. Has anyone a clue as to what could be going on...? Anything at all would be appreciated, even if you don't know if it'll help or not.
The problem is caused by a bug in Homebrew Channel and happens if you don't have any Wifi connection (the network icon is blinking endlessly).
What happen in that case (it's random, sometime everything is fine, pretty much depends on the moment you loaded the application in Homebrew Channel as far as I can tell) is that when the application is started, the network was not properly shutdown and the application will sooner or later crash because it receives unexpected messages from the Wii.
This happens with ALL applications loaded from the Homebrew Channel that explicitely asked for no "IOS Reload" (which emulators generally do to gain access to the DVD drive).
The solution is simple: open the meta.xml file in the directory where the emulator boot.dol is localized (on your SD card or USB drive, for example sd:/apps/snes9xgx/meta.xml) and remove the line </no_ios_reload> from that file. This will force the Homebrew Channel to reload IOS when loading the application, thus forcing network hardware to shutdown. Repeat this for all applications.
The downside with this solution is that it will break DVD support (for loading ROMS from DVD-R). Another solution is to always have Wifi connected when launching the homebrew channel.
Last edited by Filipou; 05-20-2011 at 05:42 AM.
2 Users Say Thank You to Filipou For This Useful Post
Dude! Or dudette, whichever you are. xD Thank you so much! I've tested and verified that two of the four emulators now work. Thank you very much for the help at long last!
Originally Posted by Filipou
A second thank you
I just wanted to say thanks for the solution here. I was having the same problem getting my emulators to run from my usb drive as well. It would load and then I'd get a stack dump error and have to hard reboot. I deleted the </no_ios_reload> from the .xml and no more crashing. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out what was causing the issue, and no matter what i searched for, I couldn't find this issue duplicated. I was getting ready to reformat the HD, but without enough space on my internal drive, i couldn't back it up first and was dreading having to rip all those games again. Can't thank you enough!
Sometime you'd better ask or look on the official websites where these emulators come from ("googlecode"), that's where I learned that thing. It's actually a very common problem as many people don't always have wifi connected and most of them use the homebrew channel.I'm actually surprised the solution isn't much more known as this is very simple.
By the way, another solution is to install official forwarders which does not have this bug.
Last edited by Filipou; 05-24-2011 at 08:57 AM.