glossary of terms =o, so you can look like a hotshot xD
yeah yeah yeah, i don't think this is that great of a post, but E3 said it should be done, i told him it was stupid, still think it is... but, it will save time, and give lazy people less excuses for being lazy, or not finding the answers =\, don't get me wrong i don't mind them, just i don't like saying the same things endlessly.
Table of contents
- Common terms.
- IOS's, and other wii tech.
- Homebrew apps.
- Firmware (wii > settings > top right): A number, to say which Version of wii you are using, each firmware update, adds and removes things, the differences and such will be mentioned below.
- Region code (the letter at the end of the firmware number): Each one stands for which region youre in, updating out of region will give you a "semi brick", E = Pal/Europe, J = Japan, U = United States.
- Homebrew channel or HBC: This is a program, used to run specially made programs, to do various things on the wii, from region free, to running back ups.
- semi brick: Breaking your system, and limiting its power to less than normal, it is usually fixable, and usually has no adverse affect after its fixed.
- brick: Breaking your system, to a point where it does next to nothing, it is sometimes fixable, but its a case by case thing, these are not good and should be avoided.
- twilight princess: the legend of zelda game for the wii, and can install homebrew channel on all wiis as of today.
- twilight hack beta 1: a special hacked save using LOZ twilight princess, that allows, anyone to install homebrew channel, on any wii. it only works on 3.3 or lower.
- twilight hack beta 2: a special save, that only works on 3.4, and will not work, on anything else.
- 3.1 and lower: older firmwares, that should be updated to 3.2, there are 3 ways to do this, update then downgrade. use anyregion changer, or wii update manager and swap a update (modchip only).
- 3.2 (the best firmware): It can use any homebrew app, it can use wads, normally. Can play any game without issue (some edits needed), and has starfall, which prevents bricks, and lets you block updates/region free, along with wiiware support.
- 3.3 (there are 3): the original one, is just like 3.2, but since they all look the same, they are all considered bad, fake signed games get blocked (can be removed but is kinda annoying), and wads get blocked.
- 3.4 (very bad): same as above, but allows nintendo to freely update your wii, this could be a problem down the road.
- IOS's, and other wii tech:
- Wad: more or less the exe of the wii, they are just installer, there are currently 3 types, IOS, Virtual console, and wiiware, they can brick your wii but its very rare.
- IOS: how the wii runs, there are various IOS's, each one does 1 and 1 exact thing, they are required to run some games, and do a lot of different things.
- Cios 36: a special made IOS, which is only to support homebrew apps, like gamma.
- Cios 37: firmware spoof, to give 3.2, all that 3.3 has, used to fix a lot of games like wiiware titles.
- Cios 249: a special made IOS, used by gamma users, to fix various issues.
- IOS 38: A IOS, originally from Animal crossing, and is needed to run, it adds wiispeak support.
- IOS 53: A IOS, originally from need for speed, which adds support for 3rd party, usb wheels.
- IOS 55: A IOS, originally from need for speed, its assumed *by me* to add, additional 3d support, it is needed to run this game, and several others.
- IOS 50/51: used for the shop channel, and can be used to patch the fake sign bug fix.
- Other IOS's: there are MANY others, but i only mentioned the newest ones, that people ask a lot. there are tons used by the wii that arnt worth mentioning, there is also other required ios's like the mario games, update.
- Scrubbed: a game where useless data, is changed to make it easier to compact.
- brickblocked: removes the update from the game.
- regionfrii: a program which changes the IOS's region to whatever you want.
- .Elf: old program format for the homebrew channel, its only supported on beta 8 or lower.
- .Dol: current program format for the homebrew channel, its supported on all newer, and should work on all older Homebrew channels.
- Gamma/ISO loader/backup loader: a program used to boot updates, on a wii without a modchip, it isnt 100%. it might never be perfect but it does work well enough for some people.
- starfall: a all in one program, patchs the wii menu, giving you various add ons. region free, blocked updates, recovery menu, and others. it only works on 3.2, and is a tad fickle takes a few tries to work right.
- Anyregion changer: changes your wiis language, and region 100%. this can brick your wii if misused.
- Gecko OS: a force boot program, which can make some games work, give you errors booting it normally wont give you. lets you load cheat codes, and region free on a unmodded, or a modded wii without region free.
i only made this 2 posts, if i ever need 2 posts =P
if anyone thinks i missed anything tell me and ill add it, this is everything i usually tell people to do, or use a lot. this is simply designed to end questions of what is what, its all here or will be sooner or later.
nice, maybe there will be less confusion on the board.
| Wii LU64
| USB Loader GX
| Western Digital 320GB Passport Essential HD
i 100% doubt it, but now there will be less work explaining, and in the end, they cant really say its confusing/searched with no luck when topics like this exist =\
Originally Posted by Jiiprah
nice post, and very imformative, good job
Originally Posted by admiral victorinox
Hi and thank you for explaining everything!
I have a PAL Wii, with system menu 3.4e (Says in my Wii settings)
Here are some questions. I would appreciate if someone could answer them! ;D
1.) Is there a way to downgrade to an earlier system menu version?
2.) Will the Wii reset it's system menu version to the one it came with when i bought it, if i format it? I don't yet have anything particularly important on it...
3.) I ordered a Wiikey v.2 and I want to get it installed, but will it work or will it get nuked?
4.) Also, is it possible to install wads on wii system menu 3.4e?
why post this here -.-
theres 10 topicss here on downgrading i think its doable =\
it just removes everything u can edit yourself
it will work
yes, but it requires edits, and its easier to downgrade
has someone made a tutorial on how to do this, as in the editing?
Originally Posted by admiral victorinox
downgrade, but dont do the Cios downgrade =P
Originally Posted by ThetaSigma
its SERIOUSLY 1 less step XD
oh ok, but if you do downgrade, you cant use like the news/weather/shop channel, right (i know about the mii channel thing)?