Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to do a system mem. format and start fresh with my softmod?

Thanks

Question Is it safe to do a system mem. format and start fresh with my softmod?

I think I've borked my softmod by trying to use multiple guides and etc.

I'm having crashing issues:

Spoiler

As well as games just freezing, etc. I'd like to go back and start again, carefully following a single guide instead of 3+

I've attached a syscheck log in case it's just a simple thing that could be fixed without redoing, but if not it's not a big deal to start fresh (I'd like it that way really, now that I know slightly more about things). Also, I installed bootmii as a boot1 instead of boot2, so I'd like to try fixing that if possible. I can't really remember exactly all that I did.

Spoiler

Basically, my question is, is it safe for me to format my SD card and then do a "Format System Memory" on the wii and start fresh? I still have Lego: Indy so it's no big deal to do it again. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    There is no reason to format. If you want to do the softmod again just follow one of the guides on this site, it will overwrite what you have installed. Your syscheck looks alright to me... What apps/games are giving you problems?

If your wii came with 4.3 you wont be able to install bootmii as boot2. You can check if you run the hackmii installer, it should tell if you if its possible to install as boot2 or IOS.
    BootMii.org

WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,757 Posts
    DO NOT FORMAT YOUR WII!!! Your syscheck does not look that bad. You could follow the softmod any wii guide linked in my signature. That way you and all of us will know what you have done to your wii. The guides on this site are great, and we can help you address issues if we know how/what you have done. That guide will install right over everything you have already, no need to delete anything, and NEVER format your wii system memory.

What are you trting to run that gives you the stack dump?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skellinator View Post
    DO NOT FORMAT YOUR WII!!! Your syscheck does not look that bad. You could follow the softmod any wii guide linked in my signature. That way you and all of us will know what you have done to your wii. The guides on this site are great, and we can help you address issues if we know how/what you have done. That guide will install right over everything you have already, no need to delete anything, and NEVER format your wii system memory.

What are you trting to run that gives you the stack dump?

OK, I was just afraid that trying to do it again would cause some compatibility issues. I saw that the syscheck said there were 97 titles installed but only shows 50 something IOS's. I wasn't sure if those other things were junk or what exactly. The Wii says there is over 1800 blocks available, but yet I can't seem to install any WADs. I tried to install USBLoader GX as a channel but I keep getting error -1022. I also tried installing some Rockband DLC wads but that gave the same error (tried to install with YAWMM)

The stack dump, I believe this time, came from using Pimp my Wii. I was doing a "Test". The second option that just tests and does not install anything and it ran through the first couple of tests and then went to that stack dump.

I've also had a few games just freeze. The first that comes to mind was Marvel vs. Capcom 2. There have been a couple of others too (Wii sports resorts for instance).

I just ran Pimp my Wii's test again and it worked fine and said there was an IOS update to do. So I re-ran it with the install option and it went through fine. Now my syscheck looks like this:

Spoiler

Maybe after that update, I'll just run things for a while and see if everything works fine.

BTW, for background, I'm using USBLoader GX. Harddrive is NTFS (Forgot to format it to FAT32 before I put all the games on it; I can always fix that if it's going to be an issue for me). SD is a 2GB Sandisk. Wii is Red and came with 4.3U installed

EDIT: BTW Pimp my Wii said that I could do a system software downgrade. Do you think that is necessary? Would there be any benefits or downsides to doing so?
    Last edited by jivetrky; 01-18-2011 at 03:04 PM.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    Thanks
    Pimp my wii=BRICK MY WII. You have installed darkcorp too, another mistake. Darkcorp has no use whatsoever for you on a new red wii. It can't read burned discs anyhow! Remove darkcorp.
    Remove cIOSCORP/DARKCORP from your Wii Console

Thanks
    hmmm....so I should get rid of Pimp my Wii?

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jivetrky View Post
    hmmm....so I should get rid of Pimp my Wii?
    yes, you made a mess there, your first syscheck was not bad. Why did you do whatever it was that you did???

Thanks
    yes, you made a mess there, your first syscheck was not bad. Why did you do whatever it was that you did???
    Ugh, really? dammit. I thought that perhaps my issues could be straightened out by letting Pimp my Wii "update" everyting. Saw some people say good things about it so I thought it could be trusted. What did it do that was bad and how can I fix it?

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    Thanks
    Ugh, really? dammit. I thought that perhaps my issues could be straightened out by letting Pimp my Wii "update" everyting. Saw some people say good things about it so I thought it could be trusted. What did it do that was bad and how can I fix it?
    PMW did all of that? I guess you don't have cios/darkcorp, nevermind that guide I linked you. Let it ride and see if it works now.

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Actually all it looks like it did was Trucha patch a lot of your IOS. Otherwise the IOS and revs look unchanged.

PMW did all of that? I guess you don't have cios/darkcorp, nevermind that guide I linked you. Let it ride and see if it works now.
    I think your scaring the OP a bit much. Look at the IOS and revs and they appear to be the same.

I believe PimpMyWii is supposed to update your rev levels to what they were at 4.1. I guess it can't downgrade revs.
    Last edited by Darkcide666; 01-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast