I truely Need help cannot read disc error
I just recently returned from a 6 month deployment where we stopped in Singapore, where I purchased a very overpriced WII ($400) returned to the ship hooked it up worked great.
Returned back to the US took it home and it never worked. I get a cannot read disc refer to owners manual for assistance (not a direct qoute I am currently at work and don't have access to the WII)
The last thing I remember doing before disconnecting was trying to play a game disc labeled SSB (assumption Super Smash Brothers) the menus were all in Japanese (I don't read Japaanese) but pushed a few buttons anyway (my guess is I inadvertantly updated my WII to 3.3U because thats what it says now)
The stats on my WII are as follows
1. I never used a Wiikey update disc of any sort (actually didn't know it was modded until I noticed the games were all copies)
2. I have opened it up to look at the WiiKey to try to ID it, It appears to be a Clone (no hologram on chip but looks exactly like a WiiKey)
3. All connections are good on the chip I have a multimeter and an O'scope to verify.
4. When a disc is inserted the drive only spins for about a second before the error occurs.
5. Wii is currently caseless sitting on my desk energized. so I know that when a disc is first placed in it the laser on the DVD does light briefly.
6.Attempted to load Homebrew but will not read a disc of any sort.
7. I also have a new original copy of Zelda that cannot be read
8. The Wii is a japanese version. looked up serial number on the Net.
9. When attempting to burn recovery discs originally had the issue with not being able to burn to a DVD because the image size was too small, I have since fixed that issue by downloading IMGBURN to my laptop, I am burning at 4X using DVD -R Verbatim discs (I have wasted about 25 discs to date).
The questions I have are if I disconnect the WiiKey will this correct the issue I am really trying to hold out on this as a last option since I am old (hands shake too much) and those are some pretty tiny wires and is my WII Japanese now only English with version 3.3U. any assistance is greatly appreciated. Stu.
1 I don't believe u
I would try to downgrade
Also if u remove it u must desolder
Thanks for the reply, I tried cleaning the lens, pretty much have given up, I want to disconnect the WiiKey to see if that does anything but since it is a japanese wii I'm afraid to because I believe the language will change to japanese?
it wont affect that, if its in english it will be in english forever
Yep! Not only will it change the language, but it will also make the backed-up games (pirated games) unplayable. Also try to have the lens itself replaced because I've read that some versions of the wii have defective lenses. Good luck!
Originally Posted by stuiegg