Hello and welcome to
You joined the right site to learn everything about Wii modding and hacking.
General Warnings: Do not update to 4.3! - Do not listen to youtube hacking tutorials - Do not use Pimp My Wii - Get a NAND backup - Install Priiloader - Use the search function!
There are just a few things you should keep in mind. Be sure that you read the forum rules and understand them. Any discussion about pirated material or cheating will be shut down. Be sure to post in the correct forum section - best suiting the post's content.
Searching and Posting
Before posting it is always good to check if the question has been answered already, the chances are very high. Just give the searchbar a shot - further infos in the Ultimate Searching Guide by emuhack. Keep in mind you can also search within the thread your are currently reading, look above the posts and find "Search Thread" in the grey bar.
Maybe you want to try out this as well:
Just place your query before or behind "site:wiihacks.com".
The Recommended Tutorials and Guides section will be your main source for information.
You might also want to check out the Ultimate Wiihacks Index, the Author Index and the Wii Softmodding - Basics and Beyond to get along the site and get to know some hacking terminology etc .
When you decide to post in the forum, make sure you are posting in the appropriate section of the forum and that you have searched and found no solution. Describe your problem in detail and what you have done before the error occured, provide a syscheck.
>> You can now hack your 4.3 Wii with the LetterBox exploit, the LetterBomb!!, NO game is required <<
"FAQ / Hot Topics"
For all who can't wait. Here are some frequently asked questions.
Try to narrow your problem down, keep your last modding steps in mind as those could be the key to the solution.
"Basics: Apps - WADs - (c)IOSs"
"Updates / Shall I update? My Wii is asking for it / Got updated, and now?"
Apps are small applications/programs which are run via the homebrewchannel or other homebrew loading software (e.g. LoadMii). The standard folder structure for all apps is:
Where device is the drive letter assigned for your SD card or USB drive by your PC.
Each homebrew app has its own folder inside the apps folder. Inside the folder of the app you have to put the executable file of the programm, the boot.dol file. Normally all programs come with a meta.xml and an icon.png as well, these are optional but will help to keep the structure inside the homebrewchannel. So apps are located on your SD card or USB hdd (FAT32 partition), they are not installed on your wii.
WADs. or .wad files are files which will be installed to your Wii memory. The content of the .wad file can have many different origins. You can install: full channels, channel forwarders, IOS, cIOS, wii ware games and a new system menu via wad installlation. You really need to know how to do tha
t, as this is the most common task in wii softmodding. See the guides below to get the programm and instructions how to use it, to install a .wad file.
IOS are the wii I
ystem files. They are arranged in a slot like manner. There exist IOS slots from 1
. Each slot can be filled with an IOS file (original Nintendo IOS) or a custom IOS a cIOS. cIOS are modified IOS files with additional abbilities, they are the key to run game backups via a softmod and are located in the IOS slots above 200. For backup loading via a disc or usb loader only your cIOS is used. For loading your original games via the discchannel, for the functionalaty of channels and the wii itself it is important that you have a good set of IOS (revisions should not be too old, but if you get no problems/erros with your games or channels it is not needed to update any of them). Always have a recent SysCheck present to have a look at your wii's internals and know how your current setup looks like.
"My Wii boots to MMM / Does BootMii has to show up each time I start the Wii?"
- Always re-check your system menu version (important when you share the Wii with friends and family. Happens quite often that they update the Wii without telling you and out of the sudden your beloved apps don't work anymore.
- Updating kills softmods! Do NOT update. No, you do not need any specific version to run any game. It is asking you to update? DO NOT DO IT! Install Priiloader and block updates, maybe an IOS update is needed to play a game (explained below).
- Wii Shop without updates.
"My Game does not load / Why do I get a blackscreen? / Sometimes my screen flickers green / Playing out of region games"
MMM or BootMii is not your new system menu you have to live with from now on. Maybe you didn't finish a guide or are right in the middle of one. This is caused by something very good: you were able to install BootMii at boot2, allowing code to be executed right before the Wii boots up. You can either just rename the bootmii folder on your sd card to bootmii_old for example and that should not occur anymore (Do not forget to backup your NAND and store it in a safe place) OR when already booting to MMM go to manage Priiloader Hacks as you are likely in a step where you setup Priiloader.
...Failure everywhere around!
- Corrupt game file, bad rip/dump/burn -> redo it (only burn to -R Verbatim for example (not the life series :-P).
- Out of date/corrupt cIOS -> get a new one (basic and very good setup in Kranks Blackscreen Guide, use the very first option to be up to date)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops This Guide explains in every detail how you can get a new cIOS, how to install it and gives further hints for disc/usb hdd/and original game loading. This guide applies in most parts for all/all new games. You can use it to update parts of your softmod to get a game running (installing the mentioned IOS won't help with other games, when hardmodded/original discloading).
- Wanin and Hermes cIOS as Wads be sure to read the FAQ there to find the password needed for the download. This guide will help you to update your cIOS one by one. Check out the recommended setup and do not blindly install stuff to your wii. good luck!
- IOS update? when you use a usb/disc loader the game will be loaded using a cIOS and not a IOS. So updating the IOS the game uses when running the original disc or beeing hardmodded wouldn't help with your blackscreen -> update your cIOS.
- Old loader revision -> get a new one (google: loadername project download) (recommended loaders: CFG USB-Loader, WiiFlow, uLoader, get rid of Usbloader GX if you are still using it).
- Wrong settings in the loader -> look at: videomode (set/force it to your Wii's region signal: PAL/NTSC, wrong setting can cause a green screen, a black screen or the game loads but plays in black and white, that occurs when running out of region games, can be solved by the proper settings); IOS to load (most games run on 250 or 249 (if set up correctly, could be cIOS250rev20(base57) and cIOS249rev17(base38); Music Games, Moster Hunter Tri, Metroid other M run by changing the setting to 223 (which should be cIOS223rev4(base37+38)), play around with the settings, no, you won't brick your wii.
- Try altering the game language to english
- Error #002, use a loader which supports fixing/patching it, enable the patch in the loader's settings.
- Disable all cheats. (never turn them on )
- Unplug unused periphery (keyboard, gc controllers, etc.)
- Check your harddrive, have you set it up correctly? Re-read the USB loading guide you've used.
- Maybe your game needs special treatment:Problematic Games & solution
Clearly you want to know what is inside your Wii. Track down the Wii's serial No. (sticker on the console's back) and just find it out!
If you got a DVD drive with one of the newer D3-v2 or D4 chipsets you won't be able to play any non retail wii or gc game disc (game backup or movie dvd). All black/red and recently bought Wiis will have one of those chips.
You got one? Go for a softmodding USB loading route.
Go to your wii settings menu and look in the upper right corner and find out which system menu version you currently got installed on your wii. On that you decide which softmod guide to use and hack your wii.
To initially softmod your Wii use one of the following softmod guides. Just choose the guide which you understand the most. If you want to start over and want to get rid of a previous installation, just install new things on top of old. There is no need to delete everything or virginizing your wii. Make sure you install Bootmii get a NAND backup. Install Priiloader and block disc and online updates. To start, check your systemmenu version in the wii settings menu and choose a softmod guide accordingly.
To load your game backups from a USB hard drive follow the:
There is also a Wii Modchips Section.
Feel free to join the chat to get hints how to mod your Wii or talk about whatever you want (just keep some IRC rules in mind).
If our site guides and members have helped you in a significant way, feel free to Donate or participate in the WiiHacks Holiday Season Drawing to cover server and bandwidth costs.
Enjoy your stay at WiiHacks.com! Welcome aboard!