Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] The Ultimate Emulation Guide Part 1 - The Consoles

Retired WiiHacks Staff

[Tutorial] The Ultimate Emulation Guide Part 1 - The Consoles

In this series of guides I will show you all of the emulation possibilities for the Wii. Starting with the grandfathers like the 2600 going up to fifth gen like the N64 and then some. Part one will cover consoles, part two will cover handhelds and arcade, part three will cover PC, and part four will cover anything else like ScummVM. If there are multiple emulators for a platform I will only be covering my favorite one.

Whenever possible I will be using the Linux version of the incredible emulator Dolphin for screen shots. It will be a lot neater than than taking pics of my TV. I also like the irony of an emulator running on an emulator. The only drawback is that not all homebrew will run on it. If it doesn't run on Dolphin then I will fall back on pics of the TV. I will be using a 2GB PNY SD for all demonstrations and all SD images I use with Dolphin. Please try to refrain from asking me questions about Dolphin. If there is enough interest I might make a Dolphin guide but that would be separate from this series.

I will only be covering basic SD/SDHC/USB install. I will not be covering things like channel installs or forwarders. I'm not covering all of the controls and options because that can all be found on the emulators WiiBrew page and Readme. Also I will only be covering the original versions of the emulators and no unofficial forks. As a reminder most if not all emulators can be downloaded via The Homebrew Browser.

Please do not ask me where to obtain ROMs, BIOS, or disc images or I will ignore you. Also please don't ask questions that do not pertain to the guide like how to format your SD card or once again I will ignore you. Otherwise I will support my guides to the best of my abilities.

If you want to save a little room you can either delete or move the Readme files to your PC for safe keeping after you read them. I stress the after you read them part...Read them or fail! You can also leave them if you choose to because they wont hurt anything. I'll mention which files you need and don't need with every emulator.

Part 1 of the guide will cover thirteen emulators in all:
    Chapter 1 : Enter The Grandfathers - JzintvWii, O2em, Wii2600, and WiiColEm
    Chapter 2 : Movin' On Up - FCE Ultra GX, SMSPlus, and Wii7800
    Chapter 3 : The Golden Age - Hugo-Wii, Genesis Plus GX, and SNES9x GX
    Chapter 4 : The Developers Cruel Joke - Yabause Wii, Wii64, and WiiSX.

Chapter 1 : Enter The Grandfathers

In this chapter I will cover how to install JzintvWii, O2em, Wii2600, and WiiColEm.

[SPOILER="JzintvWii"]

JzintvWii is a Wii port of the PC Intellivision emulator Jzintv.

Homebrew Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:
    A softmodded Wii and remote
    A Fat16/32 SD/SDHC (You can only use SDHC on system menu 4.0 or above.)

JzintvWii does not support USB devices.

Additional BIOS you will need:
    exec.bin
    grom.bin
    ecs.bin

File types supported:
    .int
    .bin
    .itv
    .rom

Compressed file types supported:
    None

1) Download and extract JzintvWii.zip. You will end up with a folder named JzintvWii.

Inside JzintvWii you will find boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, and readme.txt.

readme.txt isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD/SDHC create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of JzintvWii into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/JzintvWii

3) Create a folder named jzintvWii at the root of your SD/SDHC. - /jzintvWii

Inside jzintvWii create a folder named roms. - /jzintvWii/roms

4) Put all three BIOS files (exec.bin, grom.bin and ecs.bin) and your ROMs inside roms (/jzintvWii/roms).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch JzintvWii and it will go into a disclaimer screen.

Press A and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

Select your game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="O2em"]

O2em is a Wii port of the PC Odyssey2/Videopac emulator O2em.

Homebrew Page
    Download

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:
    A Fat16/32 SD/SDHC (You can only use SDHC on system menu 4.0 or above.)

O2em does not support USB devices.

o2rom.bin

File types supported:
    .bin

.zip

1) Download and extract O2em.zip. You will end up with a folder named O2em.

Inside O2em you will find __MACOSX and o2em. __MACOSX isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator so I delete it. Given the name it might be of use to Mac users.

Inside O2em you will find boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, and readmeo2em.txt.

readmeo2em.txt isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD/SDHC create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of O2em into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/O2em

3) Create a folder named roms at the root of your SD/SDHC. - /roms

Inside roms create a folder named romsodd. - /roms/romsodd

4) Put the BIOS file (o2rom.bin) and you ROMs inside romsodd (/roms/romsodd).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch O2em and it will go into the emulator's games selection screen.

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Wii2600"]

Wii2600 is a Wii port of the PC 2600 emulator Stella.

Homebrew Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:
    A Fat16/32 SD (* see notes)

Wii2600 does not support SDHC or USB devices. (* see notes)

(* Even though SDHC cards aren't officially supported I do own an SDHC it runs on.)

None

File types supported:
    .a26
    .bin
    .rom

.zip
    .gzip

1) Download and extract wii2600-0_2.zip. You will end up with a folder named wii2600-0_2.

Inside wii2600-0_2 you will find apps and wii2600.

Inside apps you will find wii2600.

Inside the wii2600 in apps you will find docs (additional info inside), about.png, boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, Copyright.txt, Readme.txt, README.wii, and stellarc.

docs, Copyright.txt, Readme.txt, and README.wii aren't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside the other wii2600 folder you will find roms, snapshots, and state. All three folders are currently empty.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of the wii2600 folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/wii2600

3) Copy wii2600 and it's contents (roms, snapshots, and state) to the root of your SD. - /wii2600 (/wii2600/roms, /wii2600/snapshots, /wii2600/state)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/wii2600/roms).

5) Eject your SD from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Wii2600 and it will go into an options screen.

Choose start emulator and you will be taken into the game selection screen

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="WiiColEm"]

WiiColEm is a Wii port of the PC ColecoVision emulator ColEm.

Homebrew Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:

WiiColEm does not support SDHC and USB devices. (* see notes)

(* Even though SDHC cards aren't officially supported I do own an SDHC it runs on.)

None

File types supported:
    .cv
    .col
    .rom

None

1) Download and extract wiicolem-0_1.zip. You will end up with a folder named wiicolem-0_1.

Inside wiicolem-0_1 you will find apps and wiicolem.

Inside apps you will find wiicolem.

Inside the wiicolem in apps you will find boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, and README.wii.

README.wii isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside the other wiicolem folder you will find roms, saves, COLECO.ROM, wiicolem.conf, and wiicolem.db. The rom and saves folders are currently empty.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of the wiicolem folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/wiicolem

3) Copy wiicolem and it's contents (roms, saves, COLECO.ROM, wiicolem.conf, and wiicolem.db) to the root of your SD. - /wiicolem (/wiicolem/roms and /wiicolem/saves)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/wiicolem/roms).

5) Eject your SD from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch WiiColEm and it will go into an options screen.

Select Load cartridge and you will be taken to the game selection screen.

Select you game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

Chapter 2 : Movin' On Up

In this chapter I will cover how to install FCE Ultra GX, SMSPlus, and Wii7800.

[SPOILER="FCE Ultra GX"]

FCE Ultra GX is a Wii port of the PC NES emulator FCE Ultra.

Homebrew Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:
    A Fat16/32 SD/SDHC or USB device (You can only use SDHC on system menu 4.0 or above.)

disksys.rom (Optional - Only necessary for Famicom Disk System (FDS) games)

File types supported:
    .nes
    .nez
    .fds
    .nsf
    .unf
    .unif

.zip
    .7z

1) Download and extract FCE Ultra GX 3.2.3.zip. You will end up with a folder named FCE Ultra GX 3.2.3.

Inside FCE Ultra GX 3.2.3 you will find apps and fceugx.

Inside apps you will find fceugx.

Inside the fceugx in apps you will find boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, and readme.txt.

Inside the other fceugx folder you will find cheats, roms, and saves. All three are currently empty.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD/SDHC/USB create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of the fceugx folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/fceugx

3) Copy fceugx and it's contents (cheats, roms, and saves) to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /fceugx (/fceugx/cheats, /fceugx/roms, /fceugx/saves)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/fceugx/roms).

If you want to use the optional BIOS (disksys.rom) put it in your fceugx folder (/fceugx).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch FCE Ultra GX and it will go into the game selection screen.

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="SMSPlus"]

SMSPlus is a Wii port of the PC Master System/Game Gear emulator SMS Plus.

Homebrew Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:
    A Fat16/32 SD/SDHC or USB device (You can only use SDHC on system menu 4.0 or above.)

BIOS.sms (Optional)

File types supported:
    .gg
    .sms

.zip

1) Download and extract smsplusgx-081214.7z. You will end up with a folder named smsplusgx-081214.

Inside smsplusgx-081214 you will find apps, history.txt, libogc_license.txt, LICENSE, smsplus.pdf, smsplus_cube.dol, and smswii_cube.dol.

Only the contents of apps are necessary to the emulators operation.
    Inside apps you will find smsplus.

Inside smsplus you will find boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml.

2) If you don't already have a apps folder on your SD/SDHC/USB create a folder named apps at your root. - /apps

Copy the entire contents of the smsplus folder into apps. - /apps/smsplus

3) Create a folder named smsplus at the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /smsplus

Inside smsplus create a folder named roms. - /smsplus/roms

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/smsplus/roms).

If you want to use the optional BIOS (BIOS.sms) put it in your smsplus folder (/smsplus).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch SMSPlus and it will go into a license screen.

Press A and you will be taken to an options screen.

Choose Load New Game and you will be taken to a screen where you can choose where to load your game from.

Choose where to load your game from and you will be taken to your game list.

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Wii7800"]

Wii7800 is a Wii port of the PC 7800 emulator ProSystem emulator.

Homebrew Page
    Download
    Source
    Compatibility List

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:

Wii7800 does not support SDHC and USB devices. (* see notes)

7800.rom (NTSC) (Optional - Will work without BIOS)
    7800pal.rom (PAL) (Optional - Will work without BIOS)

File types supported:
    .a78
    .bin
    .rom

.zip

1) Download and extract wii7800-0_3.zip. You will end up with a folder named wii7800-0_3.

Inside wii7800-0_3 you will find APPS and WII7800.

Inside APPS you will find WII7800.

Inside the WII7800 in APPS you will find about.png, BOOT.DOL, icon.png, License.txt, meta.xml, and README.wii.

License.txt and README.wii aren't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside the other WII7800 folder you will find roms, saves, Highscore.rom, ProSystem.dat, and wii7800.conf. roms and saves are currently empty.

Copy the entire contents of the WII7800 folder in APPS into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/WII7800

3) Copy WII7800 and it's contents (roms, saves, Highscore.rom, ProSystem.dat, and wii7800.conf) to the root of your SD. - /WII7800 (/WII7800/roms, /WII7800/saves)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/WII7800/roms).

If you want to use the optional BIOS (7800.rom or 7800pal.rom) put it in your WII7800 folder (/WII7800).

5) Eject your SD from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Wii7800 and it will go into an options screen.

Choose Load cartridge and you will be taken to the game selection screen.

Choose your game and you will be taken into the BIOS screen.

Choose your mode and the game will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

Chapter 3 : The Golden Age

In this chapter I will cover how to install Hugo-Wii, Genesis Plus GX, and SNES9x GX.

[SPOILER="Hugo-Wii"]

Hugo-Wii is a Wii port of the PC TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine emulator Hugo.

Homebrew Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:

syscard.pce (If you intend on playing .bin or .iso files)

File types supported:
    .pce
    .bin
    .iso

.zip (Only .pce files)

1) Download and extract hugogx-100613.zip. You will end up with a folder named hugogx-100613.

Inside hugogx-100613 you will find apps, hugo, compile_all.bat, history.txt, hugo_cube.dol, hugo-gx.txt, hugo_wii.dol, libogc_license.txt, Makefile.gc, and Makefile.wii.

compile_all.bat, history.txt, hugo_cube.dol, hugo-gx.txt, hugo_wii.dol, libogc_license.txt, Makefile.gc, and Makefile.wii aren't necessary to the emulators operation.
    Inside apps you will find hugo.

Inside the hugo in apps you will find boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml.

Inside the other hugo folder you will find roms and hugo.xml. roms is currently empty.

Copy the entire contents of the hugo folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/hugo

3) Copy hugo and it's contents (rroms and hugo.xml) to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /hugo (/hugo/roms)

4) Put your ROMs and game images inside roms (/hugo/roms).

If you want to use the optional BIOS (syscard.pce) put it in your hugo folder (/hugo).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Hugo-Wii and it will go into a credit screen.

Press A and you will be taken into an options screen.

Choose Load New Game and you will be taken into a screen where you can choose where to load your game from.

Select where to load your game from and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Genesis Plus GX"]

Genesis Plus GX is an improved Wii port of the PC Genesis/Megadrive emulator Genesis Plus.

Homebrew Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source
    Compatibility List

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:

BIOS.bin (Optional)

File types supported:
    .bin
    .gen
    .md
    .smd

.zip

1) Download and extract genplus-gx-1.4.1.zip. You will end up with a folder named genplus-gx-1.4.1.

Inside genplus-gx-1.4.1 you will find apps, genplus.pdf, genplus_cube.dol, genplus_wii.dol, HISTORY.txt, and LICENSE.txt.

Only the contents of apps are necessary to the emulators operation.
    Inside apps you will find genplus-gx.

Inside genplus-gx you will find boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml.

Copy genplus-gx into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/genplus-gx

3) Create a folder named genplus at the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /genplus

Inside genplus create a folder named roms. - /genplus/roms

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/genplus/roms).

If you want to use the optional BIOS (BIOS.bin) put it in your genplus folder (/genplus).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Genesis Plus GX and it will go into a disclaimer screen.

Press A and you will be taken into an options screen.

Pick Load Game and you will be taken to a screen where you can select where to load you games from.

Pick where to load your game from and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

Pick your game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="SNES9x GX"]

SNES9x GX is a Wii port of the PC Super Nintendo emulator SNES9x.

Homebrew Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source

Things you will need:

Controllers supported:

None

File types supported:
    .smc
    .sfc
    .swc
    .fig

.zip
    .7z

1) Download and extract Snes9x GX 4.2.5.zip. You will end up with a folder named Snes9x GX 4.2.5.

Inside FCE Snes9x GX 4.2.5 you will find apps and snes9xgx.

Inside apps you will find snes9xgx.

Inside the snes9xgx in apps you will find boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml, and readme.txt.

Inside the other snes9xgx folder you will find cheats, roms, and saves. All three are currently empty.

Copy the entire contents of the fceugx folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/snes9xgx

3) Copy snes9xgx and it's contents (cheats, roms, and saves) to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /snes9xgx (/snes9xgx/cheats, /snes9xgx/roms, /snes9xgx/saves)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms(/snes9xgx/roms).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch SNES9x GX and it will go into your game list.

Pick your game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

Chapter 4 : The Developers Cruel Joke

In this chapter I will cover how to install Yabause Wii, Wii64, and WiiSX.

I need to add a big note here and let everyone know fifth gen emulation is mad buggy. Some games can be playable or even run fairly well but don't expect to enter fifth gen emulation without tons of problematic and non-working games. You just have to accept it if you want to play Saturn, PSX, or N64 on your Wii because it is what it is.

[SPOILER="Yabause Wii"]

Yabause Wii is a Wii port of the PC Saturn emulator Yabause.

Homebrew Page
    Download

Controllers supported:

Things you will need:

bios.bin (Optional - Dependant on the game you want to run)

File types supported:
    .cue
    .iso

None

1) Download and extract yabause-r2604wii-beta17.zip. You will end up with a folder named yabause-r2604wii-beta17.

Inside yabause-r2604wii-beta17 you will find HBC, source, and ReadMii1st.txt.

source and ReadMii1st.txt aren't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside HBC you will find apps and SSROMS.

Inside apps you will find yabause.

Inside yabause you will find boot.dol, icon.png, icon0.png, icon1.png, and meta.xml.

Inside SSROMS you will find a placeholder file named "Copy here the Sega Saturn Game Rom files and BIOS file as bios.bin (no need)".

Delete the placeholder file.

Copy the entire contents of the yabause folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/yabause

3) Copy SSROMS to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /SSROMS

4) Put your game images in SSROMS (/SSROMS). If you want to use the optional BIOS (bios.bin) put it in your /SSROMS (/SSROMS) folder too.

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Yabause Wii and it will go into an options selection screen.

Select Load ISO/CUE and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

Select your game and you will be returned to the options screen.

Choose Start emulation and your game will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Wii64"]

Wii64 is a Wii port of the PC N64 emulator Mupen64.

Homebrew Page
    Home Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source
    Compatibility List

Controllers supported:

(Wii64 does not currently support the Classic Controller Pro)

Things you will need:
    A Fat16/32 SD or USB device (* see notes)

Wii64 does not support SDHC. (* see notes)

None

File types supported:
    .z64
    .v64
    .n64

None

1) Download and extract wii64-beta1.1.zip. You will end up with a folder named wii64-beta1.1.

Inside yabause-r2604wii-beta17 you will find apps, wii64, and README.

README isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside apps you will find wii64.

Inside wii64 you will find boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml.

Inside the other wii64 folder you will find roms and saves. saves is currently empty.

Inside roms you will find fcube.v64 and wii64.z64.

Copy the entire contents of the wii64 folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/wii64

3) Copy wii64 and it's contents (roms and saves) to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /wii64 (/wii64/roms, /wii64/saves)

4) Put your ROMs inside roms (/wii64/roms).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch Wii64 and it will go into a options screen.

Choose Load ROM and you will be taken into a screen where you can choose where to load your ROMs from.

Pick where to load your Roms from and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

Pick you game and you will be taken back to the options screen with the ROM loaded.

Pick Play Game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="WiiSX"]

WiiSX is a Wii port of the PSX emulator PCSX.

Homebrew Page
    Home Page
    Google Code Page
    Download
    Source
    Compatibility List

Controllers supported:

(WiiSX does not currently support the Classic Controller Pro)

Things you will need:

SCPH1001.BIN

File types supported:
    .bin
    .cue
    .img
    .iso

None

1) Download and extract WiiSX-beta2.1.zip. You will end up with a folder named wii64-beta1.1.

Inside WiiSX-beta2.1 you will find apps, wiisx, and README.

README isn't necessary to the operation of the emulator.
    Inside apps you will find wiiSX.

Inside wiiSX you will find boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml.

Inside the other wiisx folder you will find bios, isos, and saves. All three are currently empty.

Copy the entire contents of the wiiSX folder in apps into the apps folder you are currently using or just created. - /apps/wiiSX

3) Copy wiisx and it's contents (bios, isos, and saves) to the root of your SD/SDHC/USB. - /wiisx (/wiisx/bios, /wiisx/isos, /wiisx/saves)

4) Put your BIOS inside bios (/wiisx/bios).

Put your game images inside isos (/wiisx/isos).

5) Eject your SD/SDHC/USB from the PC and insert it in your Wii. Fire the Wii up and enter the HBC. Launch WiiSX and it will go into an options screen.

Choose Load ISO and you will be taken into a screen where you can choose where to load your games from.

Pick where to load your games from and you will be taken into the game selection screen.

Pick you game and you will be shown an info screen about the game.

Select OK and and you will be taken back to the options screen with the game loaded.

Pick Play Game and it will launch.
    [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Changelog"]1/2/11 - Added controller compatibility at the suggestion of robgee. Thank you sir! I though icons would be a nice touch. I also added the emulators HBC icons while I was at it.

1/2/11 update 2 - Added notes about Classic Controller Pro support to Wii64 and WiiSX. Thanks Joostin![/SPOILER]
    Last edited by Darkcide666; 02-15-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

Hey, nice guide. You really cover a lot of stuff. I especially love the category names.
    Last edited by JoostinOnline; 12-26-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    "Macs are the Perfect Computers," said the Perfect Idiot.

Awesome work Darkcide666. Something like this has been very needed here. Stickied.

On the intellivision emulator, I'm not sure why Wiibrew says ecs.bin is required. I'm running it just fine on my Wii with only exec.bin and grom.bin, same as the PC emulators. Maybe particular games? Anyways, good work.
    "I think that the Wii is a beautiful piece of hardware, and a broken Wii is a tragedy. It doesn’t matter why or how." -- Bushing

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks guys. I needed a short break from my MAME compatibility list and I figured we could use a proper and thorough emulator setup guide...Most of the other good stuff has been covered already and I love emulation so why not. Plus it gives me a chance to try out some of the emulators for the Wii that I had little or no experience with such as WiiSX. Hopefully it won't take me that long to complete and post the other three parts of my guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithian View Post
    On the intellivision emulator, I'm not sure why Wiibrew says ecs.bin is required. I'm running it just fine on my Wii with only exec.bin and grom.bin, same as the PC emulators. Maybe particular games?
    Correct. You would only need it for ECS games like Scooby-Doo's Maze Chase for example.
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

Great guide Darkcide, I just recently added Wii64 to my list of emulators. You may want to add that if people want to run their Wii64 from the HDD they may need the fix for USB 2.0. I could not get the emulator to see the drive til I did this. Post for the fix is here.
    Wii System Menu X(4.1u)-CFG USBLoader 7.0, D2X cIOS Pack

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dadi40 View Post
    Great guide Darkcide, I just recently added Wii64 to my list of emulators. You may want to add that if people want to run their Wii64 from the HDD they may need the fix for USB 2.0. I could not get the emulator to see the drive til I did this. Post for the fix is here.
    Thanks but I can't do it. I decide to only cover the official versions of each emulator and no unofficial forks or mods. It would get too confusing if I started to add multiple versions of an emulator, mods, and so forth. That's also why I didn't cover channel installs and forwarders. I wanted simple with lots of pics. That way anybody that can read and follow instruction shouldn't have a problem. If features or functions get added by the official developer / development team then I will modify my guide if need be. Hopefully anybody needing the fix you posted will see your post and follow it.

Maybe once I wrap everything up in this series I'll do an advanced guide covering unofficial versions of emulators and other random emulation stuff. Or even if the demand is great enough I might consider users guides for the emulators even though I think they are kind of unnecessary.
    Last edited by nightstah; 12-27-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Thread Editing/Clean Up

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    I blogged your guide (since you had permissions issues) --- look here (tags included).
    Last edited by nightstah; 12-27-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Thread Editing/Cleanup

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Awesome! Thank you sir!
    Last edited by nightstah; 12-27-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Thread Editing/Clean Up

superb mate this is real nice and you put aload of work into this there should be a super thanks button for this one

^^^^^^^^pimpness from the mighty bmarlo ^^^^^^^^

Really helpful since I was putting off setting up emulation on my wii, thanks for making the guide.
    Words do not begin express how screwed I am.- Phoenix Wright

Godot- As they say, a cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal.
    Phoenix- I believe the correct definition for a cornered fox is "scared and petrified".
    Godot- ...Your animal analogies have grown tiresome!

A prosecutor once said: "Real men press thanks when helped out, the rest don't drink enough coffee"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast