Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soliciting Opinions

Thanks

Soliciting Opinions

I am "fixing" up a Wii for my children for christmas.
    Bought a new, red, 4.3U and successfully followed mauifrog's 4.3 softmod tutorial.

I would like the Wii to function as normal in regards to the system menu and such. (didn't care for autobooting into CFG-USBLoader but I did like it for a loader)
    The additional features I'm after from the soft-modding are the ability to play games from HD (don't want to lose $50 to scratched or boogered disks) and maybe an emulator or two for the ability to play old-school games.
    Not sure what's possible as far as making CFG a channel or putting it in the homebrew channel or how to do either.

If you care to offer opinions and or suggestions, maybe you could add your reasoning and link a tutorial?

thanks in advance

WiiHacks Staff

Virtual Welcome Agent
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    but the guide should have given you usbloader cfg as channel and in the hbc..
    if not get the cfg loader forwarder wad from the modpack chapter 2, reinstall via MMM.
    then get the app etc from chapter 3, extract the app pack to fresh formatted sd card.

<--suggestions helped? press Thanks

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Emulation on the Wii isn't hard what so ever but the emulators themselves are of varying quality in comparison to their PC counterparts and usually lack the same features as them. They function pretty much the same as any other homebrew app on the Wii. Depending on the emulator some may require the original systems BIOS. What emulators or systems did you have in mind?
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vinatec View Post
    but the guide should have given you usbloader cfg as channel and in the hbc...
    It probably did and I just didn't notice it yet. I'm limited as to when I can mess with it, due to the fact that it's a christmas secret.
    I suppose that maybe a disadvantage to following a step by step tutorial is that you don't necessarily learn what it is that you're doing.
    Of course without it, I likely never would have accomplished anything other than bricking the wii.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkcide666 View Post
    What emulators or systems did you have in mind?
    I was thinking NES for sure, don't really know what else is out there.

Thanks
    I was also getting ready to look into getting emulators running on my soft modded Wii. I would just like to run MAME, NES, SNES, gamecube.

Is it possible to build a DVD up and run it from the disc? Additionally, maybe build a channel and run it off my USB HDD?

Thanks.

WiiHacks Staff

Virtual Welcome Agent
    Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    your new wii can't play any burned disc.
    use the Fat32 loading guide linked below, to set up a hdd which holds everything your apps/emulators and games/roms.

<--suggestions helped? press Thanks

Thanks
    I am currently using a USB loader with my USB drive WBFS formatted. So, without reading reading the guide yet is it safe to say that I will have to reload all my games after changing the file system on my USB HDD?

Thank you.

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
    I was thinking NES for sure, don't really know what else is out there.
    Here you go. If you need any help I'm always around and love emulators but most of them are pretty basic.

Quote Originally Posted by rougespook View Post
    I was also getting ready to look into getting emulators running on my soft modded Wii. I would just like to run MAME, NES, SNES, gamecube.

Is it possible to build a DVD up and run it from the disc? Additionally, maybe build a channel and run it off my USB HDD?

Thanks.
    NES and SNES on the Wii are great. MAME on the Wii is a fickle mistress of mine...both a love and hate relationship but I'm devoted. It runs great for a lot of older titles but not so much for recent games. A lot of the problems comes from the Wii's lack of memory. I'm currently working on a compatibility list and have tested over 6400 titles thus far. Your Wii is a beefed up GC so emulation isn't necessary because the Wii handles GC from the factory. Getting backup GC games to run is an entirely different category and can be handled with NeoGamma and cMIOS if your Wii can play burned discs and originals should launch through the disc channel.

If your Wii can handle burned discs a lot of emulators will allow you to play ROMs from them. I've had mixed results with emulators as channels so I don't even screw around or try to create them anymore. I would rather run them as a normal homebrew app. If you have a FAT partition on your HDD a lot of emulators will allow you to run them from it and store your ROMs and saves there. I personally prefer to keep them on an SDHC but I'm always swapping ROMs and so forth so it's more a matter of convenience popping the SD card out rather than unplugging my HDD.
    Last edited by Darkcide666; 12-11-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    "Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help." - Eric S. Raymond

Thanks
    Darkcide666, Thanks for the reply.

I think that I may have accidentally taken over teamhypoxia's thread while pursuing answers to my questions. Think that I may start a thread of my own and reference your last post as a starting point. I want to make sure that he gets the answers he needs and is not bogged down with my issues.

Thanks
    Ha ha
    not too worried about "my" thread
    just realizing that pretty much any "how-to" question I have or might have are fairly well documented and answered here with a little bit of searching
    as the title says, really interested in opinions of different configurations and the reasoning behind them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast