USB Loader GX 2.3 Guide
This guide is for the latest USB Loader GX (2.3).
NOTE- If you're updating from 1.0 have a look at this GUIDE to correctly update
Before we start make sure your wii is correctly softmodded by following our softmod guide:
Softmod ANY Wii Guide
Now that your Wii is correctly softmodded...
Download USB Loader GX 2.3 Package
For cIOS249 users (Recommended)- HERE
For cIOS222 users- HERE
For cIOS250 users- HERE
This packages include:
* icon.png (icon that shows in HBC)
* meta.xml (description that shows in HBC)
* forwarder (.wad) (Needs IOS58)
* channel (.wad) (Needs IOS58)
* forwarder .dol (To launch GX when the wii boots)
* channel .dol (To launch GX when the wii boots)
New forwarder- USB Loader GX- UNEO Forwarder 4.0 AHBPROT
In order for USB Loader GX to show up on the Homebrew Channel the files on the SD card must be like this:
The SD card structure must also be like this for the forwarder to work
Note: Some users have reported black screens from the forwarder, if you're getting a black screen too, use this forwarder.
Use IOS58 for the forwarders or channels to work
[Optional] Autobooting and Returning to GX
To make usb loader gx show everytime you boot your console just put the forwarder .dol(you don't need to rename this one boot.dol) in the root of your sd card.
Then boot priiloader by holding "reset" when the console is booting and choose "Install File" and choose the forwarder .dol file. Then press B (in the wiimote) to get to priiloader main menu. Now go to "settings" and set Autoboot=installed file and Return to=Autoboot and save the settings.
to install Priiloader if you haven't
Formatting the HDD
First check if your USB HDD is compatible by looking at our USB Compability List- Here
Now that you have a compatible USB HDD you need to correctly format it.
Format your HDD to FAT32, use this guide
Format your HDD to WBFS, use this guide
Format your HDD to NTFS, use this guide
Remember: NTFS and FAT32 USB Loading will only work with Hermes cIOS222/223 v4+ or with cIOSx Rev19+
Some cIOS to use, as wad
Install using Wad Manager 1.7
D2X v8 wads Package-
Bases installed on each slot are:
D2x v8 cIOS Wads
Update Path - SD:/config/
This is where the application will create files to save settings and statistics. All the files it makes start with GX to make them easy to find.
GxGlobal.cfg is the main settings and configuration for the loader.
GXGameSettings.cfg contains individual settings for games.
GXGameCount.cfg stores the game play count and favorites choices. A database of information about each game can be stored in this folder as well.
Covers Path - SD:/images/
This is where box art is downloaded to and displayed from. All images must be sized in multiples of 4 or they won't show up. Create separate folders for 2D and 3D covers. When you direct each path to the proper folder the default displays are 3D for the List and Carousel views and 2D for the Grid view.
2D covers = 160x224
3D covers = 176x248
Disc Image Path - SD:/images/disc/
This is where pictures of the actual game discs are downloaded to and displayed from. All images must be sized in multiples of 4 or they won't show up.
Discart = 160x160
Background Music Path - SD:/config/backgroundmusic/
This is the default folder for custom background music.
Theme Path - SD:/theme/(SD:/wtheme for widescreen wii)
This is the default theme location.
Cheatcodes Path - SD:/codes/
This is the folder to put your gct cheat files. DO NOT ASK OR PROVIDE CHEAT CODES DOWNLOAD, ASK QUESTIONS OR TALK ABOUT CHEAT CODES.
TXT Cheatcodes Path - SD:/txtcodes/
Here is where you can place the txt files needed by the code manager. Files must have the full game ID (6 chars.) as name. The downloaded txt files (with the code manager) will be placed here. DO NOT ASK OR PROVIDE CHEAT CODES DOWNLOAD, ASK QUESTIONS OR TALK ABOUT CHEAT CODES.
File folders can be changed to the one you like
DOL Path - SD:/
This is where replacement dols (used to fix certain broken games) go.
You can customize GX with themes from here
USB Loader GX v2.3 Changes
USB Loader GX Release V2.3
- Added the possibility to use the internal Wii System Menu font (thanks to giantpune and r-win).
- Added proper message to install progress bar to show when install is really finished.
- Added a GUI option for Play count display.
- Added "Remember Unlock" option in parental control menu to set whether the lock should always be enabled on launch if a password is set.
- Added Priiloader override on returning to Wii System Menu.
- Added different hooktype and wiird debugger (Thanks to GeckoOS for the sources).
- Added NAND emulation to redirect Wii NAND access to SD or USB. Default NandEmu path set to sd:/nand/ (Requires d2x cIOS v7 alpha or later).
* Partial emulation: Load and save the game saves to the NandEmu path instead of the Wii internal memory.
The Mii, Wiimote configuration and Wii settings are loaded from the real Wii.
* Full emulation: Load everything from the NandEmu path instead of the Wii internal memory.
Attention: if you play on someone else's Wii, you'll need to use your own Wiimote and network might not work.
- Added a NAND extract feature. You can extract everything or enter a path to a directory or file which to extract.
- Added a save game extraction menu to extract all save games at once from real NAND to NandEmu path.
- Added a per game save game extraction to NandEmu path.
- Added a per game NandEmu, Hooktype, WiirdDebugger setting.
- Added possibility for network re-init (Wifi-Button in Homebrew Launcher).
- Using new app_booter for homebrew booting (see WiiXplorer changelog).
- Reload back to entry IOS when starting homebrew instead of starting it in cIOS.
- Removed limit of .csv and .txt game list creation.
- Entered characters for the password field are now hidden.
- Improved detection of not existing cheat txt files.
- Forwarder: Centered the background image and corrected the aspect ratio.
- Fixed META.XML format.
- Disabled try to mount of drive when no disc is inserted.
- Fixed issue with file browser not jumping back to first directory entry on directory change.
New Forwarder V3.0 Changes:
*added support for ext partitions
*added support for arguments from xml
*clean up of source
Special Thanks to: MarkieH - For very useful info and reminding me that I had a guide to update
Xflak- For the IOS58 USBLoader forwarder
skellinator- For noticing a wrong link and other tips
USB Loader GX Team- For USB Loader GX