Thread: A Few Questions about (c)IOS's and Downgrading 4.1-3.4E

A Few Questions about (c)IOS's and Downgrading 4.1-3.4E

Well, I'm intermediate-Expert in computing (I'd like to think) but as far as the Wii and cracking consoles goes, I'm relatively new. I've unsuccessfully tried to softmod X-box, PS2 and Wii.

I'm currently very lost on the Wii. v3.4E (updated to 4.1, read below)
    I found a few tutorials about softmodding, followed them all the way through and they all seemed to end after installing Homebrew Channel and Bootmii.
    Then I found this site, and the main focus here is cIOS and IOS which is confusing me a lot.

My Questions Are:
    I'm asking for real simple answers; I've read endless articles about IOS's, and all I get are explanations for each version/number which make no sense, to me atleast.
    As a whole, what are the IOS's actually there for?
    Is the Wii actually "softmodded" by the homebrew and bootmii? And the IOS's are just instructions for the Wii to read copied discs/boot from HDD/USB etc..?

I stupidly installed System Menu 4.1, before installing the IOS's. I've read it'll brick if I install them on 4.1...? Which app do I need to roll it back to 3.4E?

I only have a 32mb SD card. I've managed so far, up to installing the IOS's. (I'm beginning to build a grudge against IOS's!) Some tutorials have downloadable packs, Some are 24mb going up to 42mb. Could someone, "in the know," please give me a list of the absolute minimum IOS and cIOS's that I will need? I only want to boot from DVD-r's after all.

Last one! When I burn an .iso to a DVD using ImgBurn. I have had a few websites go on about changing the IOS number (to 30, 36 or whatever other number) of the actual .iso on my computer. I have tried this with ISOPatcher by Waninkoko. When it came to verifying the disc after burn, it came up with errors about the IOS number. Can someone please clarify, Do I need to use IsoPatcher? Does the number depend on the setup of my Wii? How do I find this number out?

Thanks in advance for all help!

ok first you dont need to go back to 3.4 im on 4.1and everything works perfectly, you should really get hold of a bigger sd card 32mb is too small, and ive never had to change any ios numbers when i used to make back up discs (but thats just me), i hope that helps a little

^^^^^^^^pimpness from the mighty bmarlo ^^^^^^^^

Okay, so I still need to install all the IOS's and stuff on my Wii?
    Which ones would I need for it to just run off a DVD because I don't want to have to install all of them.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Think of IOS as BIOS for a PC. This is why we tell users NEVER, EVER uninstall any IOS below 200 --- otherwise, you could brick your Wii (render it inoperative). Do not downgrade; Dogeggs has an excellent 3.1-4.1 Wii softmod guide you can follow. Mauifrog has a "Softmod ANY Wii" softmod guide as well. Consult the links you were given in your Introduction post.

Thanks for all replies

I used the 24mb pack, on the 3.1-4.1 tutorial.

Loving it!