Nancy the Moderator
VWA, Game Master, News Hound
Only site donators may send a PM to WiiHacks Staff
[Guide] Dump save files from original DS cartridges to PC via WiFi
In this guide I'm going to show you how to dump .sav files from original DS cartridges to PC via WiFi using a homebrew app called SavSender.
SavSender is a tool for the DS that allows for savegame management of official DS saves through Wifi. This is of particular interest to users of slot-1 homebrew devices, as save management is not possible on most slot-1 devices. The R4 and M3 Simply do not have access to the FAT file system after reinsertion, and the DS-X completely reboots the entire DS upon reinsertion.
To counter this issue, a user named Abcd1234 created SavSender that uses Wifi to interact with a computer so that it is not necessary to reinsert the homebrew device. Originally only a save dumping utility, version 1.1 was released May 21 2007 that allowed for writing as well.
Other tools like REIN, REINMOON, EEPINATOR, and RAC are available but only work on slot-2 devices. Actually they can usually copy FROM slot-1 flashcarts TO commercial game carts, it's only the other way around that has problems.
[SPOILER="What You Need"]
*A homebrew device capable of DLDI (read-only is fine)
*The actual SavSender program itself. Download the DS binary from here
*Netcat - Netcat is a "Swiss Army Knife" utility for reading and writing data across a network. Originating on the UNIX operating system, it has been ported to Windows. Download it from here and copy or move the nc.exe program to your working folder.
*knowledge of the command-line and how to navigate through directories using the "cd" command.
*A DS game cartridge
*Your DS must already work with other wireless homebrew apps. [/SPOILER]
1. Ensure that file extensions are visible by default. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options - "View" tab - uncheck "hide extensions for known filetyes"
2. Patch savsender.nds with the correct DLDI patch for your device and place it on your media card
3. On the root of your media card, create a "DATA" folder if not already present. In this folder, create a "SETTINGS" folder.
4. In this "SETTINGS" folder, create a new text document called "savsender.conf" and open it with Notepad.
5. press Start - Run - type "CMD" and hit Enter - type "IPCONFIG /all" and ht Enter
6. In the savsender.conf file, enter the IP address that ipconfig tells you, press Enter, and type the port number you wish to use. A sample config file may look like this:
7. Open your router's settings page and find the section for Port Forwarding. Create a new setting that forwards all traffic on the designated port (in my example, 5000) to your computer's IP address (in my example, 192.168.1.123)
8. Open a command prompt and navigate to the location where nc.exe is. If you don't know how to do this, do the following:
--8.1. Put nc.exe on your desktop
--8.2. press Start - Run - type "cmd" and hit Enter
--8.3. type "cd desktop" and hit Enter
9. Follow the steps below based on whether you wish to dump or restore the save game. [/SPOILER]
1. In the command prompt you just opened, type the following command:
nc.exe -l -p 1234 > savefile.sav
(that's a lowercase L in "-l", not a number 1) where 1234 is the port number you specified in savsender.conf (in my example, 5000) and "savefile.sav" is the name of the file you wish to save as. If your firewall asks you to allow traffic by the program, accept it. Leave this window running even though it looks like it's doing nothing.
2. Put your media card in your homebrew device and boot it up.
3. It will tell you to press A to dump the save file, so swap to the official DS cartridge and then press A.
4. It will automatically detect the save file and send it over Wifi to your computer. Once it says "Done!" you may turn off your DS.
5. Go to the command prompt window that has netcat running and press CTRL+C to kill it if necessary before typing "exit" and hitting Enter.[/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Restoring Saves"]In the command prompt you just opened, type the following command:
nc.exe -l -p 1234 < savefile.sav
(that's a lowercase L in "-l", not a number one, and it has a < sign, not the > sign used for dumping) where 1234 is the port number you specified in savsender.conf (in my example, 5000) and "savefile.sav" is the name of the save file you wish to restore to your DS cartridge. If your firewall asks you to allow traffic by the program, accept it. Leave this window running even though it looks like it's doing nothing.
Now, on the DS:
1. Put your media card in your homebrew device and boot it up.
2. It will tell you to press B to restore the save file to the DS cart, so swap to the official DS cartridge and then press B.
3. It should connect to your computer and download the "savefile.sav" file, inserting it into the DS game cart. Once it says "Done!" you may turn off your DS.
Finally, close the command prompt window that has netcat running. If it does not close, press CTRL+C to kill it if necessary before typing "exit" and hitting Enter.[/SPOILER]
Last edited by Red_Gh0st; 10-10-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Tags for this Thread