I can't believe it's been nearly a month since I started. So many unexpected challenges have popped up. The design is changing as I learn more about the Wii. Originally I had no intention of including a dvd drive in this unit, but aparently none of the Usb loader apps can run games without first checking to see if the drive is connected. (Someone, please, correct me if I am wrong here.)
I have still not picked out the usb hub I will be using in the final project. I have found several models that work with the Wii, but I have not as of yet found one that will fit inside in the space I have alotted. The dvd drive is throwing me off. I have experimented with a few hubs so far. I desolder all the connections and replace them with leads to connect directly to the motherboard. I will be keeping port 0 as a direct line to the usb drive. Port 1 will have the hub attached. I will face 2 ports outside again and 2 for peripherals added internally.
Another design change has come with the need for better wireless coverage. I am working on this Wii a scant 20 feet from my router, yet some games (i.e. Call of Duty:Modern Warfare:Reflex) have trouble keeping enough reception without signal noise to remain connected online. I have scavenged a single antenna from a wireless print server for now, but in the future I will be replacing the stock antennas with some from a laptop that are larger, nearly all copper sheets.
Another feature I overlooked, is a very simple volume control for the headset jack. I hadn't planned for it, but I know it will be necessary. On my test board, I had a set of speakers stolen from a portable dvd player hooked up to test the audio. It is deafeningly loud. I might keep the speakers as an add-on with a switch to keep them off for times when I need to be quiet.
More pictures will follow when I have the time.
As always, thoughts and comments are welcome.