Try this guide http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...s-usb-hdd.html
Mine wasnt on the list and got it working. I here most WD are good for the job.
This thread may be a bit off topic so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong section if the forum. First off I would like to thank messie for helping me SoftMod my Wii with is tutorial, I just recently softmodded my Nintendo Wii with 4.2u. Anyway I just recently purchased a WD MyBook Elite 1TB external harddrive & I'm a bit curious to what I can do with it, the model number is "WDBAAH0010HCH". I found a list of compatiable USB HD's but this model was not listed, does anyone know if this will work with SoftModded Wii 4.2u?
I was wondering if there are any homebrew apps / tools that would allow you to download files from the Wii browser onto the USB HD, example: audio, images, iso files, videos, ect? I am NOT asking where to download files from, I am just curious because a few of my friends have been talking about doing this on there PlayStation 3's unmodded. They were mainly talking about doing this with video using stagevu.com, I haven't tried going to the site yet with my Wii but I'll try it tonight.
I relize that the Wii doesn't have much space so a USB HD would have to be used if possible. I know there are homebrew apps to allow you to play media threw USB. I did a little googling but did not come across anything to download to USB. I feel that this could be done possible, if any of you wiicoders are reading this PLEASE make this idea possible!
Thanks for a fast reply, I am aware of that tutorial. I just wanted to make sure it was compatiable before opening the package. There were plenty of WD hard drives that are compatiable with the Wii, I just thought I would ask if anyone may have successfully used the model posted above with their Wii.
As for the main question posted on this thread, anybody have any ideas if this is possible?
some WD usbHDD models have been equipped with autobackup/sleeping functions. that's not a favor for Wii ISO play.
u need only a basic usbhdd for usb-loaders of Wii hacks.
i think im understanding your question correct.. your asking to see if you can download apps/games onto your HDD using your Wii Internet?
The 1TB My Book Elite External Hard Drive from Western Digital is a desktop hard drive with a standard USB 2.0 interface. The drive features an LCD display which can be customized to remind you what type of data is stored on the drive, even when it is unplugged.
Preformatted with the NTFS file system for use with Windows systems, Mac users can reformat the drive for use with OS X via Disk Utility. It includes the WD SmartWare software suite, and uses a WD GreenPower drive for reduced energy consumption.
• Smart Display allows you to create your own personalized drive label to remind you what's stored on the drive. You can even view the label when the drive is unplugged. The display also includes available capacity and security status
• Western Digital has made these award-winning drives even smaller, sleeker and more elegant. As always, this book-like shape takes up minimal space on your desk and allows two or more My Book drives to nestle neatly together like volumes on a shelf
• Includes WD SmartWare suite, which offers an automatic backup application with an intuitive visual interface that shows your data being backed up. Easily customize the backups to protect the files and directories that you select, and restore files from backups with ease
• Gain peace of mind knowing that your data is protected from unauthorized access or theft with password protection and 256-bit hardware-based encryption
• Standard USB 2.0 interface allows you to connect the drive to almost any computer system
• My Book external drives are designed to save energy. WD GreenPower Technology lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30%, a sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer
• Western Digital designed a small retail box from recycled materials to minimize waste. You are encouraged to recycle it
• Formatted with the NTFS file system for use in Windows, Mac users can reformat the drive via Disk Utility for use in OS X
I just spoke with a few of my friends about the downloading to USB question, they explained exactly how it works. The are simply using the browser on PS3 & using triangle to "right click" for save as, it then ask if they would like to save to ps harddrive or USB. So that being said this would be very possible to do on the wii, some sort of mod may be needed to help right click using Wii browser. I'm guessing a system download handler would need to be coded as well, this project wouldn't be that had to code I'm sure. On top of that it could save loads of time transfering iso files and what not, maybe be an next level Wii homebrew app?
That would be correct reyalsreggin, sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm posting on a iPhone and it's hard to see what I write so I get off topic a bit. Basically this idea would be very similar to right clicking on a website using a computer & downloading / saving files but it would give you an option to save to USB HD or SD card.
Last edited by FOAM; 05-20-2010 at 03:01 PM.