I ran down to my local modding store today and asked about updating my WiiKey to a more recent version. They told me that, "softmodding is the thing nowadays" and charged me $50 for a modchip removal and softmod, which in my opinion is very pricey.
So I searched about softmodding online and found tutorials here. I kinda want to perform the softmod myself but I have no experience in removing a modchip or and form of soldering. So I have a couple of questions...
1. Do I need to remove WiiKey to softmod?
2. Will WiiKey updating be just as functional as softmodding?
3. I have a Japanese Wii I bought 2-3 years ago. Will softmodding make it English? (I think it will from some of my research but needs some clarification)
1. You paid $50 for nothing, it could've stayed in.
2. IDK, we do have a hardmod section you know.
3. You'd need to use the search function. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about Any Region Changer and converting a Jap Wii. If you do not, then no it'll remain in Jap. If that's fine with you, you don't have to change it to English.
Nah I haven't paid the $50 yet. Thanks for the reply though.
Softmodding can be done for free from our tutorials on wiihacks and does offer the ability of USB HD gaming as well (something hardmods can't do). On your Wiikey questions, look in this section of our site.
1 User Says Thank You nightstah For This Useful Post
Why don't you softmod without removing the modchip...
Follow one of the guides depending on your system menu version....
No need to remove the modchip.
1 User Says Thank You infinity160286 For This Useful Post