Thread: Brand new Wii is asking for an update (currently at 4.2U)

Brand new Wii is asking for an update (currently at 4.2U)

I just picked up a new, black Wii and when I try to go online it's telling me I need to update. The current version is 4.2U and the all of the Wiis my friend have modded have all been 4.2 or lower.

I'm hesitant to update because I think I would like to, eventually, perform the mod on the system. I can't use the browser unless I do the update.

Should I just not use the browser and wait until I mod it or should I do the update and see what version it goes to? If I do the update will I be able to downgrade like some people do with their 4.2 version?

Thanks!

- Ian

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    There is no talk of any menus above 4.2 at the moment so I would
    Do the Mod
    Install Pri loader
    Block Online and Disk updates via system hacks menu in pri loader

So im kind of confused--what did this update do? I have a brand new unmodded 4.2u wii as well and my gf updated it when I was at work. I checked the version of the menu but it still said 4.2u. Am I still good to use the 4.2 softmod guides?

Retired WiiHacks Staff ShadowSonic2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chessknt View Post
    So im kind of confused--what did this update do? I have a brand new unmodded 4.2u wii as well and my gf updated it when I was at work. I checked the version of the menu but it still said 4.2u. Am I still good to use the 4.2 softmod guides?
    Yes you can go ahead and do the 4.2 Softmod here at the site. The update was not a System Menu update, it was probably, the update for the Wii Shop channel that was done after 4.2

Thank you!