Thread: Smash Bros. Brawl - Disc Read Error tendencies...

Smash Bros. Brawl - Disc Read Error tendencies...

Hi there!

Recently, my backup of Super Smash Bros. Brawl started to have problems with my Wii.

Whenever I insert the disc, my Wii tries to load the disc and fails, returning with the message: "Unable to read the disc. Check the Wii Operations manual for help troubleshooting."

Only after several (many!) times in a row that I restart my Wii and try to load the disc - it finally works.

The thing is, it only happens with this speciefic disc, while other backups work fine (including the dual-layer backup of Metroid Prime Trilogy. (without the update partition, though))

I've thought about moving to USB loaders, but I've tried both USB-Loader GX and Configurable USB-Loader, and haven't been able to play my encrypted SSBB.iso (even after renaming it to RSBP01.iso) off an external HDD in NTFS format. (Don't wanna format it to WBFS)

Maybe I should have posted this on another section in the forum, but if I can get this disc to work, then I will have no reason to bother use USB Loaders. Please help me! Is it the lens? Should I try to reburn the game? I fear it will just be a waste of an expensive (In my country at least) empty disc and wield the same results. (Besides, my current backup is burnt on a Singapore-made Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5 GB, and the only empty DVD+R DL I have left are Taiwan-made, and the Singapore-made are said to be better)

My Wii is 4.1E, my backup is European PAL. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My problem with the USB-Loaders is that they don't see the game in my HDD (and think there aren't any), and USB-Loader GX says in the bottom "Games: 0". However, it "admits" that my HDD does have XXX.XX out of YYY.YY GB of free space (unlike another case I saw in another forum, in which the guy's Wii said 0 out of ??? GB space)
    Last edited by Bounderball; 05-04-2010 at 01:43 AM.

What's this got to do with harmods?
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

Because I am simply trying to run a burnt backup on a hardmodded Wii.
    This is my main problem, and if there is no solution, I could use USB Loader, except I got other problems there, as I explained above.
    I could have posted all this in the USB-Loaders section of the forum, but then the burnt disc wouldn't have anything to do with USB Loaders.
    How I chose where to post this thread was easy - my main problem was running the SSBB backup on my hardmodded Wii, so I posted in the Hardmods section.

BTW, I forgot to mention another detail in the thread: the same backup disc I mentioned - it once used to run perfectly. Only in the last 6 months (approx.) it began giving those errors.

Just checking as it wasn't mentioned in your post.

It's clear you gave this some thought before you posted here and that's great. I wish more would take your example.

As for the backup not playing so well...

As you may be aware the Wii's drive is a little bit pants and does struggle sometimes with dual layers, especially backups. I have heard that some have had some success with modifying the laser focus slightly to better play SSBB, although I've never bothered to find out how. I imagine it's something akin to changing the Azimuth on old cassette players. Burning again may help of course, at least for a time anyway. Dual layer discs are expensive though so I do understand your reluctance. As an alternative you could always purchase the game disc, I know this idea is wacky and alternative but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Surely a DVD +R DL is cheaper than a retail purchase?
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
    It's clear you gave this some thought before you posted here and that's great. I wish more would take your example.
    LOL Just for that I clicked your thanks button!

In the end I succeeded in running SSBB through USB Loader from a Disk-on-key. My new problem is this - when I run Metroid Prime Trilogy that way, once I have chosen a save slot and a game (MP 1, 2 or 3) it returns to the Homebrew Channel. I know that thorugh USB Loader GX (which I have) you can choose which MP (1, 2 or 3) to run right away, without going to the Trilogy menu first. I would like to be able to run it normally, (meaning - going to the Trilogy menu first and loading one of the games from there) so I can choose another save slot and change options. If that is not possible, can anyone at least tell me how to change which save slot the game loads when I choose MP1/2/3 from the USB Loader? (When I choose MP1 from the USB Loader GX, it loads save slot 1, which the first save slot, and the last one used)