This is your chance to answer a question on the Wii which will be posted each week.
Post your answer here, the answers will be judged by our 'Senior Moderators' Dogeggs and Tealc.
The person with the nearest answer to the definitive one, will be recognised in a weekly answer post.
Answers should include any research required, links to software required, and most importantly not be too verbose.
Post answers only here, this is not a forum to ask questions, or to have discussions, any posts not conforming will be deleted
I hope you enjoy the challenge and maybe learn something from our revered judges.
Original idea, Gen3sf
Judges, Dogeggs and Tealc
Questions by WiiJohn and s0ur.
Ok here we go with Week 1
How would you install a wad safely, and in the event of a banner brick, how would you recover to the previous state?
Last edited by WiiJohn; 03-16-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Wiihacks Super Mod / Admin
To install the wad, i would install it using wad manager under IOS 249.
In the event of a bannerbrick is would load bootmii - boot2 / or preloader, and load the homebrew channel.
From the homebrew channel i would load wad manager, and uninstall the bad wad.
The best and safest way to install a wad is too buy it from the Shop Channel simple, clean, effective and it even helps support the developers which many people on this site dont do and there would be no need to recover from a brick because you will be doing it the "right" way.
Last edited by Favs; 03-15-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Not all .wads are games. They can be foreworders and full channels for HB applications as well. Even those can brick you if they were not properly made the first time.Originally Posted by Favs
side note: anyone notice the abnormally large blank space at the beginning of this post?
Edit by WiiJohn, Yes I get that all the time.
Last edited by WiiJohn; 03-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
1. Only install wads from a trusted source cause a bad wad can give you a banner brick.
2. Make sure you have priiloader installed in case of a brick. Here is a guide that will show you how to do that.
3. You need to get wadmanager1.4 and put it in the apps directory of your sd card. (sd/apps/wadmanager/boot.dol)
4. Put your wad files in the wad directory of your sd card (sd/wad/*.wad)
5. Boot up your wii and launch wadmanager through HBC.
6. Select ios 249 to perform installation (if not already selected)
7. Navigate sd card/wad and select your wad file. Press A to perform installation. When installation is finished press the home button to return to HBC.
Warning, do not uninstall ANY IOS LOWER THAN 200!!!
8. Return to wii menu to see your new channel.
In the event of a banner brick (due to a bad wad)
1. Press and hold the reset button while you power up the wii. This will bring you into the priiloader menu.
2. Select and boot into HBC.
3. Load wadmanager and select ios249
4. Navigate sd card/wad and select the offending wad.
5. Use D-pad to switch between install and unistall set it to uninstall.
6. Press A to perform uninstallation
Warning, do not uninstall ANY IOS LOWER THAN 200!!!
7. press home button to return to hbc. Return to wii menu.
If for some odd reason you are unable to uninstall the wad with wad manager, you can use anytitle_deleter_mod to unistall that bad wad(channel). Here again do not uninstall ANY IOS LOWER THAN 200!!!
What I do:
1) Download a wad from NUSDownloader 1.3b, and check the proper md5 sums.
2) Do a wwpacker-IOS??Plus patch or FreeTheBug patch if it's an IOS, and if it needs it. If it is a shopchannel WAD, I would do a wwpacker-RegionFreePlus patch.
3) Put everything in the wad folder and install using WadManager 1.5v2 GUI under IOS249.
4) Reboot my Wii and check to see if everything works.
In case of a brick:
1) I boot into priiloader by turning the Wii on holding reset.
2) Go into HBC and start AnyTitleDeleter DB, and delete the bad wad.
3) Download a legit wad, and install it using WADManager.
If that doesn't work:
I will use SNEEK to emulate the NAND temporarily to cover up my brick, until I do this:
1) Boot up wii with bootmii files in the SD card.
2) Restore the Wii from a NAND dump from the time after I just installed HBC, DVDX, and bootmii.
1: Download only from a trusted source.
2: if it Looks like it maybe too good to be true MAKE A BACKUP your your NAND ( i got habbits of NAND backups from being a PSP modder)
3: install with a known WAD Manager like Waninkoko's WAD Manager
4: Do not delete teh WAD from your SD card. If it bricks you will need it to uninstall.
Recovering from a Banner Brick
1: Boot to Priiloader or BootMii and launch from there HBC
2: load Wad Manager from HBC
3: Uninstall bad WAD
Worst case Scenario:
"I cant even get it to Boot to HBC my NAND FS is Hosed!"
as Long as boot2 isnt hosed and you have BootMii, you can recover w/ teh Backup i mentioned ealier
but you'd haveto do something really dumb or Installed a Malicious WAD to really Hose your FS so bad you haveto restore from a NAND Backup.
And the winner is....
You captured everything needed and provided links to Wiihacks guides and apps where appropriate. Well done.
All doff your caps as a mark of respect for Baboo77 OR Thank his very helpful post.
Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.