I wouldn't waste my time or money.
Alright what a rip!
Does anyone else think that this is a load of crap?
What a waste of money to have a huge ipod touch that is missing so much
Leave it to apple to screw something else up again.
I wouldn't waste my time or money.
I rather fancied one. Was thinking of getting an iPod Touch and saw that huge screen and thought hmm.
Wife needs something which she can eBay and stuff like that and I need something that I could do with something that I can use anywhere in the house.
What's it lacking thats so important? Does it not do music or something?
Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.
Huge screen? Sounds like a desktop would fit your needs better than this thing. And the price would deff be cheaper too.
As for the lacking components, I put together a small and uncompleted list from other sources and myself. See what you think.
1) There is no multitasking. Just like with everything else, you can do 1 thing at a time. Great. So no background apps once again. You can't work on a document and talk on AIM or Gtalk.
2) It Has an Awkward Design the design is a bit awkward because you have to hold it in one hand and balance it while your other hand uses the functionality or more likely you will need to put it on your knees to use it properly. It’s not big enough to be really comfortable for your lap and it’s too small to be used with one hand so it needs to be set down. Right in the middle where you don’t want to be.
3) No Adobe Flash. Thinking of playing flash games while waiting on the bus? This was one thing that I was actually looking forward too because the Flash support would have been great for the iPad but of course Apple is too close minded about it. Once again. So you’re stuck with no flash and completely limited again.
4) No USB support. Like I said earlier, this is pretty much just a mega iPod touch. The iPad is made bigger to almost the size of a netbook but there is no usb support. You need to plug in the special Apple adapter. If you lose it, you'll have to buy another. If you want to plug in multiple devices you need USB to iPad adapters! Since it's not even using Mac OS, most USB devices would probably not work anyway. Starting to lose interest yet?
5) If you’re looking for the 3G Network, it’s AT&T Once Again. There is no Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint service available for this product, some of which has better coverage. You can't use T-Mobile's 3G at all because of their MicroSIM made specifically for AT&T.
6) The most memory you’re going to get out of this sucker is 64 GB which is a lot yes, but for some people it’s just not enough. I have plenty more that 64 GB in just movies alone. Not to mention music which is probably triple that. (I do have a lot more music than the average user though). But Apple will charge you extra for higher memory and there is no place for upgrading any higher than that.
7) It’s the old app store again. Yay... not. Just like the iPod Touch you have to download everything from an App store. Meaning if you don't like Safari, you're stuck with it. Some apps may be banned once again. Everything’s limited by the same old rules that blow. Imo of course.
8) Ugh, no cameras. No web cams on the front, and no cameras for photos or videos from the back either. This thing is borderline netbook and still is so far from being one.
9) This sucker is much larger than the touch and iPhone. But still you can’t take an extra battery with you on a long trip because the battery works the same way as an iPod. This things larger so we can only hope that the batter is going to last longer but in the end it will never be enough. Apple though is notorious and praised for their streamline and sleek design in all their products. Batteries tend to be larger in the first place for the main reason that it’s a pain in the butt and Sooooooo expensive to get replaced, so they make it larger from the get go thinking that you’ll never need to.
10) There is no HDMI/DVI output. You can't plug this thing into your TV to display your HD movies. You'd need AppleTV for that. More $$
11) No GPS what so ever. Unlike the T-Mobile MyTouch or the Verizon Droid which both run on Android, where you can multitask and have GPS so that you can use the Beta Google Maps Navigation system for turn-by-turn directions. The iPad you're stuck with locating yourself via WiFi hotspots. Awesome. BTW, even if it did have GPS support, there is still no multitasking remember.
I’m sure there are some people that the iPad would appeal too. I myself have the iPod touch and I’m happy with it. (Jailbroken of course). The iPad has potential, but could have turned out so much better than what they did. Right now you’re so much better off just going to somewhere and picking up a Netbook. Or even a simple laptop. Dell is great and way cheap.
In the end it’s your choice and if I had the chance to get one, I would probably just do it for the heck of it. Just not right now the way it is and not for the $499 - $829 price tag. It just makes more sense for an actual computer than can do waaay more than this.
With it being basically nothing more than an overblown Ipod touch, you would at least expect there to be a youtube "App" but that still doesn't make up for the way it is set up. Everyone wanted an Apple "netbook" and what does Apple give them? this POS. not to mention that you can not make apps for it so instantly "no Homebrew" at least not right away. So my view? why didn't Apple give the people what they asked for in the first place? It's bad enough that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with Vista... and with 7 being basically the SSDP (Same S*** different product) that is basically just set up to be faster (which at least is what everyone wanted) Apple gives us the Ipad instead of a netbook. Is it really that hard to make a netbook? Nokia just made one that would match Apples style and it is pretty much on the cheap so why not just make one? To me the Ipad is the exact opposite of what everyone wanted/expected. why can't they get it through their head that we don't want restrictions we want the ability to do work. THe IPad had the potential to be a very awesome art tablet but when they used the Iphone OS (so to speak) well that was the end of the dream of being awesome. Only Absolute Apple Fanboys/girls will get one.
Well if I didn't think the $499-$829 price tag (depending on the model/features obviously) was a rip-off before, I certainly do after reading this:
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I did feel it was a rip-off before reading that article. Now just more-so.Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99
By Slash Lane
Published: 02:30 PM EST
Apple said this week that it will offer a Battery Replacement Service for its new iPad tablet that is similar to the one offered for iPhones and iPods, only this time the company plans to replace the entire device rather than swap out its depleted battery.
"If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee," the company said in a support document posted to its website. It added that data will not be preserved on iPads needing service because owners will "receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data."
The service will costs $99, plus $6.95 shipping, for a pre-tax total of $105.95 per unit. Apple estimates that it will take approximately one week from the time owners send in their iPad till they receive their replacement device.
"Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc," the company said. "Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad."
"I think that the Wii is a beautiful piece of hardware, and a broken Wii is a tragedy. It doesn’t matter why or how." -- Bushing
I don't own anything with the Apple name on it (my wife has an Ipod nano), but my thoughts are the Apple computers may be worth the money, but everything else is over priced. I can't believe that the Apple lineup has sold so much. And, why can't I drag and drop my favorite Mp3 onto an Ipod, every other Mp3 player has this capability. I bought my daughter an 8GB Sansa Mp3 player and that thing has a microSD slot for more storage.
Kinda glad I am too broke to even think about buying into something like that. As with anything these days, they are very expensive and full of bugs when they first come out. Unless you have something wrong with you that you can't keep rom buying something when it first comes out, I would wait for the price to drop and anything else to be resolved with it.
Notion Ink's Adam Tablet!!! Can't wait for that. I'll buy an iPad when apple decides to put in all the features it's missing. So like 3rd or 4th generation lol