Thread: wii balance board issues

Thanks

wii balance board issues

Hi guys,

just wondering if anybody knows about issues with balance boards not powering up properly. mine is getting weird, i need to press hard on the battery cover for it to power up, and once it does, the power goes off when i step on it. feels like something underneath may have cracked (like a circuit board or something) and will disconnect when i step on it.

i've lost the receipt so just wanted to know if somebody from wiihacks might have come across something like this and got to solve it.

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,453 Posts
    I'd be taking it apart and looking for some sign of damage. Sounds like you have an issue somewhere around the battery pack. Get a multimeter and check voltage coming from the battery pack and if it changes when you put weight on it.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

3. 1 User Says Thank You Tealc For This Useful Post

Thanks
    wow...that sounds so cool. a multimeter. i'm gonna google and see what it is. i've actually went and bought a new set of rechargeable batteries but the wii board still does the same thing :/
    if the problem is the battery compartment of the wii board, are there spare parts sold anywhere?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,453 Posts
    Don't know.

A multimeter is just a device that measures voltage, continuity, resistance and a few other things. If you have a broken wire or PCB track (possible on a device that has people jumping up and down on it) then a simple solder fix should be sufficient. A connection that opens and closes when you stand on it suggests just a loose or broken track or wire. Should be easy to fix.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Thats the first time i've heard someone getting excited over a multimeter haha. If all else fails and you cant find the problem you can pick up a used balance board for pretty cheap at your local gaming stores or online.

Thanks
    I had the same issue with rechargable battery pack when i pressed on it , it would power up then stand on board it would lose power
    i just bent the connection pins on the recharable battery out to make a better connection , now all is good!!!

Thanks
    I was wondering if you knew how to fix the issue surrounding the Balance Board in which it detects weight when you aren't standing on the board. I know the Balance Board has some technologically advanced parts to it, so I have no idea if I can replace certain parts like I could with the accelerometer here for Wii remotes: ADXL335 | Small, Low Power, 3-Axis

I've never even seen a schematic of the Wii Balance Board. I could take pictures for this forum, but I wouldn't know what anything did. I would also pay/donate for a schematic. I'm hoping the weight detection error is a specific part and not the entire circuitboard that's damaged. Maybe I just have to pop it out and pop it back in to reset it. I have no idea, but I know heat damage near the battery is the main cause.