Thread: Wii Powered External Drive

Thanks

Wii Powered External Drive

Hello,

I want an external hard drive. I searched for an found a list of ones that are confirmed to work with the wii. What they doent say is if they are able to be powered directly from the wii.

For example a WD passport does not need the external ac power cored if I plug it into my computer, however it does need the external power source if I plug it into my Western digital HD TV live (Media player).

I do not want to have to plug in or power on more than just the wii, if I have to I will just get a very large flash drive, however I would prefer a larger and cheaper hard drive.

Thanks
    I have modded 2 wii's with USB Drives that power off the wii. One was an IOmega 320GB that had two USB Connectors, 1 for data and 1 for power, as long as the data one is in the right wii socket it works fine. I also Did a HP 500GB HD That had only 1 USB Connector and that worked fine as well with no external power source, so u should be ok.. Please Thanks if helped
    4.1e, Bootmii/boot2, Cios Rev17, Darkcorp 1.0, cMios Rev5(Mios 10 base), WiiFlow, Neogamma 8 r17, Seagate Expansion Drive 1TB

Thanks
    I am currently shopping on newegg, does anyone know exact model numbers? Sounds promising though, you got a 320 and a 500 working without power!

Thanks
    HP

Thats the link for the HP one, cant remember the IOmega one, but it came from Tesco
    4.1e, Bootmii/boot2, Cios Rev17, Darkcorp 1.0, cMios Rev5(Mios 10 base), WiiFlow, Neogamma 8 r17, Seagate Expansion Drive 1TB

Thanks
    I have 320G WD passport running from Wii no problem!