Good luck DriveKey users
Ok, I have now waited 3 months for the DriveKey team to release their JTAG firmware update for the DriveKey chip, and still no sign of it.
I don't know about you guys, but to me this is simply not good enough. Since I want to play NSMB, and don't want to softmod my Wii, it leaves me with no choice other than buying the original game or a new modchip.
And buying a DriveKey v2 where NSMB works... No way in hell. So now I have thrown the old DriveKey chip away and gotten myself a Wasabi DX. Installs just as easy as DriveKey, and works 100% the same. Big difference is that the Wasabi DX team support their product and were smart enough to design their modchip so it can be updated from DVD.
DriveKey was first on the market. But boy, what a disappointment in update support.
Good luck to all of you DriveKey users. For the DriveKey v1 users I hope not you will have to wait forever for the JTAG update. And for the DriveKey v2 users, I cross my fingers that you are not screwed as soon as the next version of the BCA protection is coming to the future Wii games. However, I fear this is exactly what is going to happen for you
I totally agree with you what a waste of money!
Originally Posted by CoNS
I have removed the DriveKey and gone down the softmod / usb route instead.
To be honest wish I had never bothered with the hard mod in the first place.
thanks for the good luck,although I dont need it .My drivekey works 100 %.I love playing super mario.Look these things happen ok.Have you ever tried the bca protection removed version of the game?You already bought a new chip and what difference would it have made to just buy the new drivekey,instead of buying a low grade known to fail after time chip.I understand your frustrated,but you end up losing over it because you jumped the gun.Sorry and good luck with your (laughs) new chip.
At least he can play the games he wants. I just believe thier support sucks or the just dont care.
If your Wii System Menu is above v3.4, there is no way to get NSMB to work with DriveKey v1 without softmodding the Wii. Until the DriveKey team may or may not release a JTAG update for DriveKey v1, that is.
Originally Posted by wulfgarfang
Err, what do you mean "low grade known to fail after time" chip?! The Wasabi DX chip seems to work fine for everyone. The Wasabi team has already released three firmware updates to improve the chip, including the NSMB fix. That's what I call standing by your product. And no scandals like with the DriveKey diodes, or the release of the initial version of DriveKey, which was pulled back from the distributers, and then sold off to another retailer under a different brand.
Originally Posted by wulfgarfang
If I had bought the DriveKey v2 chip to replace my DriveKey v1 chip, I would be supporting the DriveKey team again, which I have absolutely no intention of doing. But even worse, it would have just been peeing in my pants to keep warm - I bet you there will be other new BCA like protections in future games, which will require firmware updates to both DriveKey and Wasabi DX and the other modchips. And chances are that I will be doing the update of my Wasabi DX by a simple DVD update, whereas you will be the one waiting in vain for a JTAG update from the DriveKey team.
well at least you stick to a principle....Yes I do agree drivekey dropped the ball on this one.Instead of being greedy and releasing a new chip they should have just fixed the first one.But it the new one works and works well.Thats capilalism for you i guess.I never like waiting anyway so I just bit the bullet and ponied up.sorry cons didn`t mean to razz on you.Everyone deserves to make their choices.
yeah drivekey is garbage 3 months no update
they'll probabaly just discontinue it like they did with the d2pro chip
all drive key/wiikey team is good for is GREED
If they don't want to offer support for v 1.0, fine. But a possible free or even discounted upgrade/exchange to v 2.0 for it's 1.0 users seems more than in order! It's unfair for those of us who bought a v1.0 thinking that Drivekey would hold true to its JTAG updates and such promises; instead, I find that I have essentially wasted my money and time installing something that will not longer be supported.
Thanks alot, Drivekey. I will NEVER buy or recommend a DriveKey EVER again. If they did this to their v 1.0 users, what's not to say that six months down the line they'll do the same thing to their v 2.0 users?
It is a little weird, they released a different chip just for a fix. What did they do with the other old chips they had? Reflash with the new software and put another sticker on it? For sure.tho
Why throw money away for building a chip with a jtag update connector but dont use it? Than dont put it on the chip. It makes the chip cost more for something that u dont use!?
Wasabi DX = Low Grade? Dont understand what you mean, i think that drivekey is the low grade card here. They cost the same, in Holland, but u can use the wasabi DX in the future with the updates they release. Can you say that about Drivekey? Uhhmm, dont think so, cause they never released a update. Never.
I have both the Drivekey's and a Wasabi. They work perfect. But i cant use my older drivekey for nsmb. But i can use the same wasabi DX for the same game.
I will never buy something from them ever again. They make money out of us with pretty words. Thats it.
It is just my opinion.
Retailers should be a Voice for their Customers!
I am a customer of Canadamods and I made several purchases from them. The last being an order of (3) DriveKeys 1.0 in October. I am not an installer, but an end user. My gripe is that if DriveKey doesn't want to support their product, the ReSellers should not have bought shipments from them of the DriveKey 2.0. And they should also not support their WiiKey Fusion by stocking it either.
As an end user, try to contact DriveKey...you won't get a response. They won't even bother with you. They will deal with their retailers. The retailers need to put pressure on them...if they value their customers. I am not only singling out Canadamods, but all of the retailers that sold their customers DriveKey 1.0 and then immediately stocked DriveKey 2.0 (an updated 1.0 with a yellow dress) weeks after the NSMB BCA issue.
For all involved this seems to be a cash cow. This problem can easily be fixed by DriveKey. I believe this is the same company that made the WiiKey2 (which with the Odyssey update via DVD now plays NSMB perfectly). They have the technology to do it, but if the update works too well, no one will buy their new products. DriveKey is making $$ off of newer (updated) chips and so are our liasions the Retailers.