Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Play DVDs & Backups, etc on 4.2 (CIOS???)

Question Play DVDs & Backups, etc on 4.2 (CIOS???)

I have been trying to avoid having to sign up to these forums as i was a member of WIISO and was currently receiving help from someone there - so i didnt want to much info and end up getting my wire crossed, however, as that site has gone down for some reason, i now need some help.

I have a Wii with Version 4.2, and have (so far):
    * Used bannerbomb to install the Homebrew Channel
    * Used bannerbomb to install DVDX
    * Used bannerbomb to install Bootmii (as an IOS, couldnt do it as a BOOT2).
    * Used Bootmii to make a NAND backup of the Wii.

Anyway, i would now like to use the Wii's DVD-ROM drive for things other than OFFICIAL NINTENDO WII games, such as, i would like to play DVD discs, play burnt "backed-up" games, etc. However, apparently i need to do/add a few extra things (i think it had something to do with a cIOS and Hermes something or rather???????)

If anyone can offer me any direct advice, it would be appreciated.

if the wii can recognise DVDs other than its own, then you only need to run Mplayer CE with HBC, hiwever is your wii is brand new, you have a fair possibility of owning the new D3-2 drive, which wont read any other DVDs than wii ones.

If you need to play backups, you need a cios, but the case is same as the above. you might to think about external loading then, either with an external DVD or a usb HDD

Ahh I see, well I have tried to use Mplayer to run DVDs and divx files, but I had no luck in any playing...so I'm not sure.

The wii itself was bought late-ish last year, is there any way I can check if I have this D3-2 Drive?

Thanks.

PS: if I do have a D3-2 drive how would I play backups? I can't fit the 4G files onto the 2 GB SD Card, will I have to use an external HD?

well you better try and full mod it to see if it will do, as Mplayer is a bit picky with its DVDs. If the wii was bought post-November lets say, you have a big possibility. If you do ahve the new drive, then either use an external DVD or a usb HDD

So to do that, which guide should i follow?

Full hacking guide for 4.2 system menus!!!! or Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!?

Thanks.

any would do... just skip what you did already

You can check the possibility of the D3-2 chip at the Wii Drive Chip Database

Question

Hi i just checked my Nintendos serial number and it starts with LAH1452....in the database it comes up with this page, any idea what it means?

Thanks.

It means there's no Drive Chip...

You will have to use a USB Device to play Backups.

So you need a 'drive chip' in order to play NON-ORIGINAL discs?

How about if i want to install WAD files, what do i need to do? (I wish someone could just give me a simple answer to this question...so far, trying to get an answer is like having your teeth pulled out)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast