Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Waninkoko News

Old Waninkoko News

I won't be updating this thread anymore as Wanin has slowed down, so it has been demoted from sticky status (say sticky status 5 times fast!). If people want to keep the thread alive that's fine with me but most Wanin news is about PS3 now so, like him, I'm moving on.

---------------------------
    Last Update: 9/26/10
    ---------------------------

Today's Top Headline

Let There Be Cake

Today Waninkoko turns the ripe old age of . . . 22. Happy birthday old man.

Quote Originally Posted by hackinblack
    22 years old... I'm getting older :P Today I'll relax.

========
    9/23/10
    ========

[SPOILER=Rev October]

It looks like our friend Waninkoko has gotten swirled in the recently open sourced PS3 hack, as
    development on his latest version of cIOS has come to a halt. Activity on his Twitter feed has been
    focused mainly on this exploit and his involvement with it, but today he gave us an update:

Quote Originally Posted by hackinblack
    Custom IOS Rev21 is in beta state and its development stopped. After some testing, I'll fix the remaining bugs and release it. ~October
    Whether we'll see it in October remains a little skeptical given Wanin's history of delayed
    releases, but this should give users a general timeline from which to expect an update. [/SPOILER]

========
    8/28/10
    ========

[SPOILER=Follow Waninkoko on Facebook]

Yes for those of you out in Facebook-land, Waninkoko does indeed have a fan page.
    You can follow/admire/stalk him anytime you like here.[/SPOILER]

========
    8/21/10
    ========

[SPOILER=Rev21 News]

Today Waninkoko made the brief announcement that cIOSXrev21 will be hitting the net soon. After
    some coding errors present in his rev20 (and subsequent rev20b) release, this new revision was
    expected with less delay than its predecessor.

What else Waninkoko may be alluding to in this statement remains to be seen.

"cIOSX rev21 is on its way! Interesting stuff coming..."[/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=Easter in August?]

It could be, if you've installed cIOSXrev20. From Wanin,

"The other day I pressed the EJECT button 6 times, and I saw the light..."[/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=What's Wrong with Rev20 FFS? ]

Just Tweeted in from Waninkoko, "I just realized some FFS plugin changes just...
    disappeared!! Something wrong went with GIT. NAND emu shouldn't be working. Sorry."
    [/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=cIOSX Rev20 Released!]

Custom IOSX rev20
    31/07/2010 by (Waninkoko)

Update:

Released rev20b the installer. The previous version of the installer Had a bug That does let finish the install process in
    Some consoles. This new version has this bug fixed. If You Were Able to install rev20 Without Problems You Do Not
    Need to install this new version.

Description:

This is a Custom IOS, an IOS modified to add new features not available in the official IOS.

This IOS has been created to be used only with homemade software.

The Custom IOS is installed on a free slot and does not modify any other IOS so it is safe to install.

Changelog:

- Added support for IOS36, IOS53, IOS55, IOS56, IOS61 and IOS80.
    - Updated the bases IOS37, IOS38 and IOS57.
    - The installer now supports GameCube controls.
    - The installer now supports custom slots.
    - The installer network code improved.
    - Fixed timers IOS modules.
    - Modulo MLoad improved (new calls and corrections).
    - FAT module rewritten (using FatFs).
    - Enhanced Module SDHC (buffers and cache).
    - Improved DIP plug.
    - ES plugin added.
    - Improved plugin FFS.
    - Implemented blocking IOS reload (only works properly with DVD titles).
    - The titles identified can not use custom modules.
    - Improved NAND Emulator (corrections and use of new module FAT).
    - Protection of MEM2 disabled by default.
    - Set the flag AHBPROT for access to HW from the PPC.
    - Easter Egg added.
    - Corrections and improvements.
    Download @ TeknoConsolas[/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=cIOSX Rev20 Coming 31/7/2010]

On the heels of Waninkoko's Live Stream video earlier today, the 21 year old coder announced he plans to release revision 20 of his custom IOS module to the public at mass sometime next week. Rev20 boasts a handful of new features: Including the ability to install base IOS to individual slots, savegame loading from SD card, blocked IOS reloading from DVDs, and NAND emulation.

During the demonstration Waninkoko showed the installation procedure for selecting an IOS slot, but due to the poor quality of the feed specific numbers were too pixelated to read. He then went on to start an unnamed program to enable a type of NAND emulation which would load his savegame for "Cooking Mama Cook Off" from SD card. However, Wanin was unable to demonstrate his NAND Emulation through Triiforce MRC due to some technical difficulties (dead pen drive). Finally, he demoed a DVD backup of Sam and Max (a game known for giving troubles with IOS reloading) to prove the success of his IOS blocking method.

When asked by Wiishizza what he found in recently released 4.3, Waninkoko replied, ". . . I found crappy code."

A special Easter Egg is hidden with the code of rev20 as well. Apparently activated when loading a special feature in the upcoming WAD Manager 1.7, Waninkoko has added a special Matrix-screen which progressively takes over the application. The rest of the "egg" was hidden, giving users the chance to find the rest out for themselves.

Surprisingly, Waninkoko even turned the camera on himself for a few minutes to give viewers a glimpse of the young coder wearing some shades and a mask.

Of note, Waninkoko confirmed IOS reloading has not yet been blocked from USB. [/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=Rev20 Delayed]

Revision 20 of Waninkoko's custom IOS is on delay while he works to sort out his code with the surprising
    release of firmware 4.3 on the 21st. As a result of the new firmware, Wanin has put forth his latest Firmware Updater v4.3b.
    He initially released a 4.3a, which had the unexpected effect of allowing HBC to be removed. Waninkoko claims
    this is no longer an issue in his 4.3b release.

For now there is no ETA on rev20.[/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=Slots! Part Deux]

Waninkoko has divulged, through a conversation on Twitter, that his next cIOS release will have
    the ability to install different Base IOS in different IOS slots. Specifically, @scrumbleyj suggested,
    "Install cIOS with different bases into different slots. Selecting 38 base at 249, 37 base at 251,
    57 base at 252 and etc."

Waninkoko confirmed this with a simple, "You are correct."[/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=IOS Reloading Blocked Soon?]

On the way in a future cIOS revision, Waninkoko has successfully blocked IOS reloading in DVD games. This
    means games like WSR and RS2 (with the motionplus video) would no longer need to be loaded the first time using an
    alt-dol. This possibility could also lighten the load on our many users who have to consistently point newer users in the
    direction of guides for those games. Yes, this is very exciting news![/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=Waninkoko Got Gecko! - Part deux]

"IOS reloading blocked successfully. Not tested with any game yet."
    "I just needed 10 minutes to debug the NAND emulator with the USB Gecko and fix the remaining bugs. Great!"
    [/SPOILER]

=================

[SPOILER=Waninkoko Got Gecko!]

"USB Gecko just bought! Thanks to everybody who helped."

Thanks to the contributions of the Wii-hacking community at large, Waninkoko has purchased his First USB Gecko.
    What this means in the short-term is faster, more efficient debugging in his work on the cIOS and anything else
    he works on with the Wii console. In the long-term, with Waninkoko, who knows what he'll come up with.[/SPOILER]

------------------
    Source: Follow Waninkoko On Twitter!
    Last edited by ShadowSonic2; 04-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    "I think that the Wii is a beautiful piece of hardware, and a broken Wii is a tragedy. It doesn’t matter why or how." -- Bushing

Banned
    Glad to see Wanin didn't leave completely.

I know, right? It seems like he's busier now after "leaving the scene" than he was in the months beforehand.

It is good to see him still working on this stuff though. The guy does great work when he puts his mind to it.
    "I think that the Wii is a beautiful piece of hardware, and a broken Wii is a tragedy. It doesn’t matter why or how." -- Bushing

New cMIOS Coming Soon

Not much info on this yet. The only comment W was sure to make was,
    "Btw, no GC USB support."
    I see some members having problems when they use dop ios, it updates their cMIOS to the latest MIOS that Nintendo has to offer. Since the waninkoko and wiigator installers are based on MIOS v8 and the latest Nintendo MIOS is v10, perhaps waninkoko is just updating his installer to use MIOS v10 as a base.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomp_442 View Post
    I see some members having problems when they use dop ios, it updates their cMIOS to the latest MIOS that Nintendo has to offer. Since the waninkoko and wiigator installers are based on MIOS v8 and the latest Nintendo MIOS is v10, perhaps waninkoko is just updating his installer to use MIOS v10 as a base.
    There have been a lot of issues with DOP-IOS since v11 came out. I've been trying to keep up with it and everyday there's a new issue coming up with the code. The latest is that running syscheck will add an extra ticket to each IOS that the channels load from, causing them to all boot back to the sysmenu. Fix is supposed to be coming in 11.5, we'll see.

I like the cMIOS theory, mind if I add that to the main post? (Oops too late. )

ps to everyone - new cIOS announced.

Update for cIOS38Rev18 announcement.

Would it be possible for a mod to change the thread title to "Latest Waninkoko News"? Thanks in advance.

Us

Can't wait for a decent nand emulator! This is what we truly need Thanks for the update Ithian.

Yes Sneek was fun but it'd be really nice if it was a little faster and worked with cIOS 200+. Looking forward to that.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
    Yes Sneek was fun but it'd be really nice if it was a little faster and worked with cIOS 200+. Looking forward to that.
    It's like he heard you. Updated for a couple comments. And yes it'd be great to see solid NAND emulation come out soon.

Waninkoko (hackinblack) on Twitter

God for WII - Above is Waninkoko's Address on twitter!!! .. Latest Newz given by Waninkoko himself!! ...I follow on twitter and get ans instant SMS delivered on mobile...love u waninkoko..All the best for Rev 18!

Latest NEWZ -
    Note for developers. EHCI module device name has been renamed from /dev/usb/ehc to /dev/usb2 so... prepare your tools for rev18 ;-)
    Last edited by zabak; 02-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast