Thread: PAL 4.2E Wii with DriveKey chip and softmod - HELP pls, CONFUSED!!

Thanks

Smile PAL 4.2E Wii with DriveKey chip and softmod - HELP pls, CONFUSED!!

Hi all,

Am new here. I have just bought a DriveKey chip from a guy for my PAL Wii using F/W 4.2E. this Wii is about 1yr old.

The guy I got the chip off said that if my Wii was on 4.2E that the chip might not work unless I added the HBC and a few other things.... So I followed the guide I got for adding HBC, Gekko or Gamma loader and even the USB loader thing... now I can play backups from the loaders (both on disk and vis USB stick)...

I am going to add the DriveKey into the Wii tonight but am a bit confused that if it loads games direct boot, why I needed these loaders.... ? I also changed the IOS249 thing (whatever that is) to a custom one...

Can anyone give me an idea of why I needed to soft mod it before putting the chip in? and how the chip will work..?

Thanks you so much for helping.

Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuk View Post
    Hi all,

Am new here. I have just bought a DriveKey chip from a guy for my PAL Wii using F/W 4.2E. this Wii is about 1yr old.

The guy I got the chip off said that if my Wii was on 4.2E that the chip might not work unless I added the HBC and a few other things.... So I followed the guide I got for adding HBC, Gekko or Gamma loader and even the USB loader thing... now I can play backups from the loaders (both on disk and vis USB stick)...

I am going to add the DriveKey into the Wii tonight but am a bit confused that if it loads games direct boot, why I needed these loaders.... ? I also changed the IOS249 thing (whatever that is) to a custom one...

Can anyone give me an idea of why I needed to soft mod it before putting the chip in? and how the chip will work..?

Thanks you so much for helping.
    i am not certain about the specific chip but 4.2 in most cases, doesn't allow for out of region backups, so as far as i know with the chip alone you wouldn't be able to play ntsc games.